PDA

View Full Version : Pistola Hunting in MO

TCLouis
10-19-2005, 06:30 PM
May well be going to Missouri for a deer hunt in November.
Do I have to resort to a long gun (ain't got no good shooting cast bullets for anything in the long gun hunting category) because all of my great shooting loads are in 44 Mag and hopefully by then will find one for the 45-70 pistola.

So will pistola be and issue IAW hunting regs, how bout state pistola laws?

I am spoiled what with the rules (or lack thereof)
Kinda hard to beat our TN restrictions:

Ownership
Pistola no ownership restrictions.

Hunting
Over 24 caliber with barrel over 4".

Mk42gunner
10-19-2005, 09:02 PM
For firearms deer hunting

Methods allowed-
-centerfire pistol, revolver or rifle using expanding-type bullets
-shotguns with slugs only
-muzzle loader
-archery
-crossbow

I guess technically, you could use a .25 ACP with 35 grain hollow points :bigsmyl2:

Ed Barrett
10-24-2005, 01:17 AM
For firearms deer hunting

I guess technically, you could use a .25 ACP with 35 grain hollow points :bigsmyl2:

The solid points give better penetration. <g>

Just keep the pistol in an outside holster or carry it in your hand. This year I'm gong to try a .454 casull Rossi 92 clone with a 45 LC Ruger if I get a deer to get up close enough to my stand. Both will be loaded with cast of course. What part of Missouri are you going to be hunting in? Up here in Northwest MO the doe tags are pretty pretty good. As one of the old timers said "it's gettin like goose hunting 6 per day and 12 in possession".

TCLouis
10-24-2005, 05:45 AM
Will be going with a guy that used to work for me IF we make all work.
Hunting in Howard County near Fayette.
Will be seeing deer that are likely to be larger than we have here!

JSH
10-24-2005, 06:49 PM
This should more than likely go into the handgun stuff but what the heck. I am just S of Ed and a stones throw away from Mo. I will be hunting with a pistola in Ks, but have never used cast to hunt with, sorry I am still a green horn. I am up in the air of what to use. I shot my 375WW with the lyman 264, which drops about 273 from my melt of WW. It is no speed demon, and have not clocked any either, supposed to be right around 1500 out of a rifle and I don't think I am losing that much in this 14" barrel. I figure if I am around 1350 or so with this load I should be in goods shape.
Any input from you guys?
The load was Lymans accuracy load of 20.0 of SR4759. Thing really supprised me how it shot.
I have other calibers I could fool with but the big heavy bullet thoughts with lead make a lot of sense to me, besides, it is just a neat looking round.
Jeff

TCLouis
10-24-2005, 09:45 PM
Will likely be my choice, but I may get some of the 434-250s to shoot before then.

Can I carry the pistola in my backpack to the hunting site?

Bass Ackward
10-25-2005, 08:15 AM
This should more than likely go into the handgun stuff but what the heck. I am just S of Ed and a stones throw away from Mo. I will be hunting with a pistola in Ks, but have never used cast to hunt with, sorry I am still a green horn. I am up in the air of what to use. I shot my 375WW with the lyman 264, which drops about 273 from my melt of WW. It is no speed demon, and have not clocked any either, supposed to be right around 1500 out of a rifle and I don't think I am losing that much in this 14" barrel. I figure if I am around 1350 or so with this load I should be in goods shape.
Any input from you guys?
The load was Lymans accuracy load of 20.0 of SR4759. Thing really supprised me how it shot.
I have other calibers I could fool with but the big heavy bullet thoughts with lead make a lot of sense to me, besides, it is just a neat looking round.
Jeff

Jeff,

If you keep the bullet soft, you won't be disappoionted assuming you place the shot.

JSH
10-25-2005, 09:00 PM
BA, I did a little thinking............dunno if I would want to try a shoulder shot and chance it not going all the way through. I think a bit more speed would not hurt this as long as it kept grouping well. I prefer a hit in the boiler room myself, even if no exit they aren't going far. I figure to keep my range at 100 yards max for now. Shot placement is 99% of it, I have a lot of confidence in this round both in accuracy and performance. I was just thinking of the large meplate on this bullet would do what I am looking for,375449.
I was talking to Ken a few weeks ago, am pretty interested in trying to make a few soft nosed boolits just to hunt with, so I won't need a large amount year round.
thanks
Jeff

charlie / sw mo
10-25-2005, 09:47 PM
May well be going to Missouri for a deer hunt in November.
Do I have to resort to a long gun (ain't got no good shooting cast bullets for anything in the long gun hunting category) because all of my great shooting loads are in 44 Mag and hopefully by then will find one for the 45-70 pistola.

So will pistola be and issue IAW hunting regs, how bout state pistola laws?

I am spoiled what with the rules (or lack thereof)
Kinda hard to beat our TN restrictions:

Ownership
Pistola no ownership restrictions.

Hunting
Over 24 caliber with barrel over 4".
keep in mind wild hogs are always in seaon in mo--charlie in sw mo