PDA

View Full Version : Lightest load possible of H110 to keep 168 gr. lead boolits running

bigjake
03-26-2016, 03:20 PM
Is there anyone that shoots this combination? Anyone have a good guess? I've loaded 14 gr. H-110 on this Lee CTL312-160-2R. With a gas chk. and lube they've been about 167-170 gr. It cycles nice but id like some lighter loads to plink with and lessen the chance of leading. oh yeah, they are .310 dia.

Tom W.
03-26-2016, 04:03 PM
You do NOT want a light load of H110. Bad things have been known to happen. Where did you find this load?

243winxb
03-26-2016, 05:49 PM
H110/296 should be loaded using published data. http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/2016%20Reloading/HodgdonWarning%202002_zpsesvzyepo.jpg

bigjake
03-26-2016, 06:44 PM
Hodgdons website published for 168 gr. bullet, 14.3 gr. to start with. I put 14 gr.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

243winxb
03-26-2016, 07:19 PM
300 aac blackout? Should be ok at 14? Jacketed vs lead bullets may need different load data?http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/42_Reloading.html maybe ask or search here.

popper
03-26-2016, 07:47 PM
I'd go with 14.5 and leave it there. Your lube and alloy will determine leading. Probably ~1700 fps. ACWW should do the job.

Boolit_Head
03-26-2016, 08:03 PM
I've been powder coating the 312-155-2r with a gas check without any leading issues.I'm casting with range lead sweetened with a bit of lino. I'm running it over 15.5 gr of 296 which is virtually identical to h110. Mine end up at about 160 between the gas check and PC and I size to .309. I run it though a 7.5 inch 300 blackout barrel and after I run a dry bore snake through the barrel it is squeaky clean and shiny.

bigjake
03-26-2016, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the opinions! I'm going to go with 14.3 gr. like Mr. Hornady says. I know that load is with copper jackets. gas checks and nice hard alloy with double alox will do the the trick im hoping. I will fire a couple hundred and check out the barrel. and update this thread.

HAPPY EASTER! His pain and suffering is over!

bangerjim
03-26-2016, 11:19 PM
You choose H110. Gotta live with it. I never go below 3% under. I only use H110 in 44MAG FULL loads. And stay within the published loads.

If you want light plinking loads, use another more fogiving powder like I do.

bangerjim

Tar Heel
03-27-2016, 03:01 AM
If ya want lighter loads, use another powder.

popper
03-27-2016, 08:38 AM
I suggested the 14.5 so if your powder dump is a little on the light side or temp variations, you won't get in trouble.

bigjake
03-27-2016, 02:21 PM
Banger, What powder do you favor for light loads?

You choose H110. Gotta live with it. I never go below 3% under. I only use H110 in 44MAG FULL loads. And stay within the published loads.

If you want light plinking loads, use another more fogiving powder like I do.

bangerjim

bangerjim
03-27-2016, 04:57 PM
used to be Titegroup, but over the last year I have been using ETR7 with EXCELLENT CLEAN success! Same load data as TG. Very cost-effective powder. Cleanest-burning powder I have ever used.

bnager

centershot
03-27-2016, 06:01 PM
I was looking through the Laser-Cast Reloading Manual last night and found a similar load for the 30-30 Winchester with H-110 powder. Gave me the shivers thinkin' 'bout it........

Tar Heel
03-27-2016, 09:06 PM
I was looking through the Laser-Cast Reloading Manual last night and found a similar load for the 30-30 Winchester with H-110 powder. Gave me the shivers thinkin' 'bout it........

+1 on that! H110 is a wonderful magnum handgun powder when used as indicated. Both it and Blue Dot are not to be trifled with however. I tried BD in the 9mm 30 years ago but after two 'pressure excursions' with BD, I stopped all use in handgun cartridges. It's a great shotgun powder but be forewarned about its use in handguns. They are using H110 on the 300 Blackout and I suspect its only a matter of time before those folks have problems playing with the load data.

dannyd
03-27-2016, 10:08 PM
be careful H110 and WW296 are the same thing. they don't like lite loads

Moonie
03-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Some powders I've used for light loads are RL-7 and H4895. But normally with my 155's I use 15gr H110/W296 in 300BO. However since I've recently gotten a can I've been loading subs. I've also just ordered a 6.5" 300BO barrel for my Encore pistol and plan to use 5gr Unique with the 155's in it, but then I don't have to cycle an action.

Outpost75
03-29-2016, 11:38 AM
It would be REALLY helpful if the OP in first post would identify WHAT CALIBER he is loading for. I've seen multiple .308 Win. rifles blown up when people tried their 18 grain H110 load with Saeco #315 which worked great in California or Arizona go squirrely at the CBA Nationals on a cold morning in PA or MA.

Knowing it was a tiny case like a Blackout would have saved lots of aggravation...

bangerjim
03-29-2016, 01:28 PM
^^^^^^^^Exac-a-tic-a-leey.

That is why I always say "never ever use a load from some forum or babble on the net - - unless you have the published load data to back it up and prove it!"

People should not expect others to provide them with load data. Not good. I trust nobody. I do all my research and load development based on load data and good olde common sense and wisdom.

Suggestions are just fine. Just do not use it as gospel.

This forum is not a load data center for people without published load books. Your body and life are dependent on good safe loads & loading practices. Do not trust net/forum data!

banger

W.R.Buchanan
03-30-2016, 04:34 PM
Guys: I shared your H110 safety concerns and took a guy to task on another forum. But then I went to the Hornady Site and low and behold there was H110 being used at 9.0-9.5 gr for the .300blk.

They would not publish loads that aren't safe.

The Pressure Spike that occurs from Flashover is due to the larger surface area of the "side of the charge" being ignited, as opposed to the charge burning from one end of the case to the other. The latter generating a pressure curve that the intended result, and the other being a problem.

Point being, that the powder is going to cover the flash hole or be stacked in the case and not laying flat on one side of the case with the flash hole exposed. Thus the powder will burn progressively, rather than faster due to the position of the powder in the case.

Obviously the same principal is in play in Rifle cartridges and under loading the case below recommended minimums would expose the side of the charge instead of the end of the charge. Thus the pressure spike would be more radical. Keep in mind that most firearms are generally held and fired "Horizontally" so the powder is essentially laying on the side of the case. If the level is below the Flash Hole that's where the problems begin.

However Bolt Action Rifles and even AR's are designed to operate at much higher pressures than all but a few Revolvers. So the blow up factor may be less of a problem. But that doesn't mean that you should temp fate. Just making sure your cases are more than 3/4 full will keep you out of trouble.

My .02 on this subject.

.02 more cents,,,, In shotgun shells like .410's the wad always compresses the powder charge to some degree. There is no airspace in the hull where the powder sits. Thus Pressures in the 12-14,000psi range accomplish good results with this powder which normally requires much higher pressures to burn correctly.

One last point: A simple call to Hodgdons will clear up this myth that somehow W296 and H110 are not the same powder.

They have always been the same powder. Winchester marked powder usually came from different lots than H110 and there were minor differences from lot to lot just like there is with any powder. thus the idea of difference.

Now all of it is packaged from the same lots and the only difference between the two is the label on the plastic container. They will fill all the bottles and then put W296 labels on some and H110 Labels on the rest. There are about 8 or 10 powders that are done this way including W231/HP-38 and a few others I can't remember right this minute.

All you have to do to verify this is to call them and ask.

Randy

Outpost75
03-30-2016, 06:00 PM
I have been burned with published loads in manuals before. I don't know if Hornady runs pressures. Some of the bullet companies make their own pressure test barrels, which may not be manufactured and maintained to industry standards, or calibrated using the reference standard ammunition used by the rest of the industry. There are big differences in pressure measurements obtained using radial copper, vs. piezoelectric methods, and even with each test method, depending on whether SAAMI or government procedures are used, which differ in whether the case is pre-drilled or not, the size copper used, the placement of the piston hole or transducer, whether the transducer is of conformal type or not, Kistler or BRL minihat, etc., etc.

Most of the respected manuals who do shoot pressure, still do not test under elevated and suppressed temperature conditions, as the major powder and ammunition producers, who are SAAMI members do.

Spheroidal powders often have problems with cold weather stability. The military tests at well below zero to simulate arctic and high altitude aircraft conditions, and high temperatures to simulate desert conditions. Most handloading manuals test only for average conditions and correct to Standard Metro or ICAO conditions. If you take a book load for a spheroidal powder and try it in Canada or Alaska in winter, or in Texas when you stored ammo in your truck cab on hot summer day, then all bets are off.

bigjake
03-30-2016, 06:22 PM
I'm sorry everyone. I just realized that I didn't state which caliber I was loading. I feel really stupid.

It would be REALLY helpful if the OP in first post would identify WHAT CALIBER he is loading for. I've seen multiple .308 Win. rifles blown up when people tried their 18 grain H110 load with Saeco #315 which worked great in California or Arizona go squirrely at the CBA Nationals on a cold morning in PA or MA.

Knowing it was a tiny case like a Blackout would have saved lots of aggravation...