PDA

View Full Version : Making shot instead of ingots?

GPappy
03-26-2016, 02:07 PM
I had to purchase a Littleton Shot Maker to get a large collection of lead recently. I tried to sell the Littleton but there doesn't seem to be a very big market for them right now. I don't reload shot gun but have my fathers old reloader. I started thinking that having bags of shot to store the lead in might be more convenient that all the ingots. Easy to add to the pot as I was casting also. Looking for input from experienced casters as to the desirability of storing lead this way.

RP
03-26-2016, 02:20 PM
I also had a shotmaker and made tons of the shot to sell and my own use, after I burned threw all my lead I sold the shotmaker and went back to work on building up my lead supply again. But as for your ? I would cast ingots a lot less work stackable and less area for the lead to oxide. And if a bag breaks in my case I used two liter drink bottles you have shot everywhere and its not easy to clean up.

MT Chambers
03-27-2016, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't do that, making shot is a lot of work, I only do it when I have to.

Mk42gunner
03-27-2016, 01:39 AM
I've never made shot, but I agree with RP. Shot has an awful lot of surface area compared to ingots for oxidation, and I have spilled a cup or so of shot before. Seems like you never get all the shot picked up.

Now if you are planning to load some shotgun shells, I would at least try making shot; I gather there is a bit of skill involved.

Robert

randyrat
03-27-2016, 08:32 AM
I would at least make a bunch and offer to rent the Littleton out, I may even be tempted to rent it. If you bagged the shot into 10 lb bags it would be very convenient to store and move if needed.

For oxidation all you need to do is add a very small amount of Graphite to dry shot and shake. Graphite can be bought at any place they sell farm equipment or seed real cheap.
10 lb bags of shot could be sold at a later date and real easily stored, I think it would be very convenient to have a stash of shot.

lightman
03-27-2016, 02:22 PM
I would think that storing and transferring shot will be problematic. Ingots with flat surfaces store and stack really well. Spilled shot can be a pain to clean up! I would sell the shot maker and buy some ingot molds.

jmorris
03-29-2016, 06:12 PM
I am with the thumbs down crowd, guess you could make equal weights of shot and ingots, store for a few months then cast with both and see what the loss difference between the two are.

What condition is the large collection of lead in? You are not planing on using the shot maker as a smelter are you? That would be a bad idea.

How much are you wanting for the shot maker?

Tazza
03-29-2016, 07:41 PM
I read somewhere that a guy was making shot and quenched it in ATF, so the lead would have oil covering it to prevent oxidation. I would have thought shot would store in a smaller space as with ingots, if they are not a uniform shape, you have spaces. I know i have rectangular and round ones, so they never stack great, but others have triangular ones from angle iron that would stack really well.

A split container of shot would be a nightmare to clean up, a dropped ingot is easy to pick up. The next issue is you must have containers to store shot, ingots stack just about anywhere.

bullet maker 57
03-30-2016, 05:08 PM
You can cool the shot with ATF, then you have to clean the ATF off the shot. The shot will never run thru a loader covered in ATF. Graphite is your friend when it comes to shot. I have made alot of shot. A lot of work, but when shot is unavailable????? Pure lead does not make good shot. The lead needs something to harden it up. I like using WW. I use brake fluid to cool the shot.

Tazza
03-30-2016, 05:19 PM
You learn something new every day, i have never made shot, Graphite makes sense, makes it move a lot easier.

Ausglock
03-30-2016, 09:44 PM
Made shot back in the 1980's. Sold the shotmaker..
Wish I had kept it. I'm wanting to make shot again.
Anyone selling one???

Tazza
03-30-2016, 09:52 PM
Could you build one? they looked pretty simple from the images i have seen.

Geezer in NH
03-30-2016, 10:05 PM
I had to purchase a Littleton Shot Maker to get a large collection of lead recently. I tried to sell the Littleton but there doesn't seem to be a very big market for them right now.

What did you ask for it???

country gent
03-30-2016, 10:22 PM
While I wouldnt consider shot for lead in place of ingots. Tin or pewter poured into shot would make blending small batches of alloy easy to do. You could just weight the correct amount of shot for the small pots needs. Shot is a pain to store and bagging yourself would require a way of sealing the heavy cloth bag. WOnder what a 50 cal ammo can full of #7 shot would wiegh????

bdicki
03-30-2016, 10:30 PM
Making shot is one thing, making good shot is another.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=415048&hilit=littleton

GPappy
03-31-2016, 09:14 PM
What did you ask for it??? Was asking $300. Not even any tire kickers around here. I see them online for between $300 and $350 so I don't think I was out of line.