PDA

View Full Version : Easy sorting .45 acp LPP and SPP

ghh3rd
03-25-2016, 11:29 PM
I wondered if there was an easy way to sort the two type of .45 acp by primer pocket size, and discovered that the back end of a 13/64" drill bit fits perfectly into a LPP and not at all into a SPP. It's very easy to poke and tell quickly.

Randy

nicholst55
03-26-2016, 12:30 AM
Hmmm, I'll have to try that one next time I'm prepping .45 brass.

runfiverun
03-26-2016, 12:44 AM
I use my primer pocket cleaner.
I don't even have to look at the bottom of the cases I just run them all through the universal de-capper
then look at what size primer falls out of the slot.

dudel
03-26-2016, 05:35 AM
I sort by headstamp, so separating LP from sp is just part of the process.

lightman
03-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Good info! I can usually tell by looking but after a while my eyes start to cross.

OS OK
03-26-2016, 10:51 AM
I sort by headstamp, so separating LP from sp is just part of the process.

Me too…I see that you suffer from OCD also…could be, that is a good thing?

ioon44
03-27-2016, 09:51 AM
I just look at the primer, I have no problem telling LP from SP.

Walter Laich
03-27-2016, 10:09 AM

I don't see it as suffering as much as enjoying it

Bigslug
03-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Maybe we should start a theological discussion on the side about which circle of Hell the guys who came up with small primer .45 brass should be going to. It's been an established standard for only a century - what harm could come from making a major component change at this early date?

DerekP Houston
03-27-2016, 12:50 PM
Good info! I can usually tell by looking but after a while my eyes start to cross.

Same here :D, start double checking myself then get it back in order. Still just setting all my sp 45 aside in a bucket and using the lp version though.

randyrat
03-27-2016, 12:53 PM
So far I don't have any SPP.. I have run into them a while ago and chunked them in the scrap pile, kinda ticked me off, kinda a dirty trick putting SPP pockets in them. I'd like to put a small rock in their shoe, who ever invented SPP

wddodge
03-27-2016, 01:38 PM
I'd like to put a small rock in their shoe, who ever invented SPP

Now that's one of the more humorous quotes that I've ran into!!! LOL

Denny

Boolseye
03-27-2016, 01:43 PM
I have so few sp .45s that I just manually prime them when they show up.
they all shoot the same. If I had numbers of them I would probably segregate.

OptimusPanda
03-27-2016, 01:58 PM
I tend to look at the headstamps when I pick up brass off the range floor. If I spot a small primer 45 it either goes back on the floor or into the brass bucket. The few that get through sorting are always noticed when the primer fails to seat.

wlkjr
03-27-2016, 02:58 PM
I save all my sp and shoot it in matches where I don't reclaim it.

scattershot
03-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the tip. I reload SPP for use in my 45ACP revolvers. Once I have them loaded and point down in a box, I use a Magic Marker to make a an X on the case so it's easy to tell from then on, which size primer it takes.

mdi
03-27-2016, 06:38 PM
IMO, small primed 45 ACP brass is no big deal. Since they started showing up in reloaders' stashes, the only "problem" is not inspecting the brass and they get in a progressive machine set up for large primed brass. If a reloader has only one priming cup size, the tooling can handle only one size primer, and he can only get one size primer, there "may" be a problem, but it ain't with the brass. I've read as many opinions as fleas on my ol' coon hound, and the only "problem" is priming on a progressive; small primed brass, large primed press set up. I inspect every case I reload (I wanna know what goes in my guns) and it's no extra "work" to glance at the primer pocket, but I usually don't inspect more than a hundred or two (once I sorted 500 9mm cases one day)...

Andy
03-28-2016, 12:05 AM
I would agree that every cartridge should be set up for only one primer size, seems ridiculous that we have to sort for this due to some great new idea someone had. Same is true for 7.62x39 from what I have read, should just be one or the other.

That being said, I am somewhat glad there are spp cases as .45 acp would otherwise be my only lpp case and now I don't have to stock large pistol primers at all.

imashooter2
03-28-2016, 12:19 AM
Very quick to sort them by running through a progressive press. The small primer cases will jump right out at you. [smilie=b:

dudel
03-28-2016, 07:29 AM

I've come to the conclusion, that OCD is a great thing for this hobby!

dudel
03-28-2016, 07:33 AM
That being said, I am somewhat glad there are spp cases as .45 acp would otherwise be my only lpp case and now I don't have to stock large pistol primers at all.

Same here. I got rid of all my LP 45 ACP brass, and converted to SP. I only need to stock one size primer, and don't need to change out primer assemblies on the 550.

I don't see what the problem is if you inspect your brass before you reload it.

Bigslug
03-28-2016, 09:16 AM
I don't see what the problem is if you inspect your brass before you reload it.

You're serious right?

Used to be, inspection consisted of "There's a .45 case lying on the ground that's not obviously damaged or made of non-reloadable steel or aluminum. I think I'll pick it up." It's a low pressure cartridge with a low enough risk of failure that I'm OK giving them a quick visual from my 6-foot height and throwing them on the pile. Now we're headed for a place where I have to scrutinize every single one of the little ********?

The closing defenestration scene from Braveheart. . .That's a good place to START for the guy who came up with SPP .45 brass. The time to make that change was when we went from the 1911 to the 1911A1. A little late for it now.

TenTea
03-28-2016, 09:41 AM
If *they* would just start making 38/357 brass with LPP, all would be well in supply line land. :kidding:

LPP for all! :bigsmyl2:

dudel
03-28-2016, 09:41 AM
You're serious right?

Yep. Times change. To add to list of firms that should be added the Braveheart list, add Lapua. They now make a small primer .308.

The new .308 variant is identical to Lapua’s current .308 match brass with the exception of the primer pocket. The brass will be head-stamped “.308 Win Lapua Palma”.
FLASH HOLES: The flash-hole size for the current pre-production .308 Lapua Palma brass is 1.5mm (.059″), the same as Lapua 6mmBR and 220 Russian brass. Lapua spokesmen were not certain if the flash hole size will change for the regular production brass. Note: if you have a Redding .308 die, you can ask Redding for a smaller decapping rod tip (.057″) to use with the new brass.

Tests Reveal Better ES and SD with Small Primers
Initial tests of the small primer pocket .308 by U.S. Palma team members have been very promising. The small primer pocket case seems to have advantages in both accuracy and the ability to handle high-pressure loads. However, the primary improvement found with the smaller primer is reduced ES and SD. Palma Team members have found that, with almost every brand of primer tested (small vs. large), the smaller version has yielded reduced Extreme Spread and Standard Deviation. This pays dividends in 1000-yard shooting. Also, some testers believe that small primers are more consistent and require less sorting — and that there are more varieties of small primers that seem to work really well in the .308 case. Moreover, the small primer types are more uniform, from lot to lot, than are large primers, according to some testers. More info will follow later today.

Wis. Tom
03-28-2016, 10:18 AM
I am fine for the first 2000, but then I lose it and SPs start slipping through as they start looking the same. Thanks for the tip, will try that drill bit.

mdi
03-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Because some cartridges have been loaded the same way for a long time we should ban every method or component change! I'm used to what's available (45 ACP large primer), so don't change nuttin', no matter if it's an improvement or not! I also vote for one size tires in all cars, one size for all pickups and one size for all semis. And why are so many colors available for automobiles? Ford made just black cars until some radical forced him to add green. Change is bad, we must return to black powder muzzle loaders!..:veryconfu

Geezer in NH
03-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Change is bad, we must return to black powder muzzle loaders!..:veryconfu

You say that like it is a bad thing! :bigsmyl2:

mdi
03-28-2016, 12:35 PM
You say that like it is a bad thing! :bigsmyl2:
Hee, Hee. I didn't think I'd get away with that comment...:mrgreen:

allen16323
03-28-2016, 01:31 PM

I thought it was required, I checked that box on the application. I sort every case and inspect them all. Phase one is sort calibers, deprime on a Lee breeck lock hand press with universal decaping die while looking for defects and into the tumbler. Phase 2 is sort by headstamp and primer size/crimp and yet another defect inspection.

Dan Cash
03-28-2016, 04:22 PM
I find them when I run them through my Dillon 550B. The primer won't go in so I remove the case and put it in a coffee can. No sweat and I am not pre sorting, primer pocket cleaning, magnifying galss inspecting that brass. Most split brass I find when I pick it up to load. If I don't, no sweat.

acoop101
03-29-2016, 12:08 AM
Maybe we should start a theological discussion on the side about which circle of Hell the guys who came up with small primer .45 brass should be going to. It's been an established standard for only a century - what harm could come from making a major component change at this early date?

I know for a fact that there is a special place in hell for the twit that decided to not only use small primers in 45 but then crimp them in too, I just got a large batch of American eagle non-toxic brass with small crimped primers. If I didn't know any better I would say federal is trying to kill 45 reloaders.

Boolseye
04-02-2016, 11:19 AM
this is one of those hobbies where a little OCD is a must.

EDK
04-05-2016, 01:31 PM
I find them when I run them through my Dillon 550B. The primer won't go in so I remove the case and put it in a coffee can. No sweat and I am not pre sorting, primer pocket cleaning, magnifying galss inspecting that brass. Most split brass I find when I pick it up to load. If I don't, no sweat.

Even now that I'm retired, scanning for small primer pockets is a waste of time. The 550 stops; remove offending case; advance the neck expanded/powder charged case; have an empty slot in the wheel on this cycle.

I wasn't finding much 45ACP range brass until lately..all of the sudden there's lots of it. HOW MANY 45ACP casings in a 31 quart tote!

ioon44
04-06-2016, 09:42 AM
I find that on my 550 if I interrupt the the cycle it can change the powder charge weight for one round. I presort and run smooth a press cycle.

.45 ACP is around 74 casings per pound +or -.

jmorris
04-06-2016, 10:30 AM
This is the best I have come up with, just dump them in the collator and start loading. If they have a small primer pocket, they are kicked out right before the priming station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V7vSEAqkZw

40Super
04-09-2016, 10:01 PM
It's never been an issue to see the spp from the lpp in my piles . I tend to have them sorted by certain brands anyways and the primer pockets are right there. Once they're sorted I can keep them separate as I shoot( not many shooters at local range ). I use the small primer for certain loads .