PDA

View Full Version : Waallmart suprize

starmac
03-25-2016, 09:16 PM
I went to wallmart today for the first time in several months (hate the store), I didn't find what I was looking for (did I mention I hate wallmart) so decided to swing through the sporting goods section, which I probably haven't been in in over a year, maybe two.
To my suprise there was a section of rcbs reloading gear, and some bullets, talk about shock.
I ask about powder and primers and they said it was suppose to be coming in and the top shelf was cleared for it.
I also ask about 22 shells and they did have some 100 packs and 50 round boxes of cci, didn't check on price though.

rancher1913
03-25-2016, 09:55 PM
as much as I hate wally world you have to give them credit for not gouging on 22 like everybody else.

quilbilly
03-25-2016, 10:47 PM
Our Walmart also carries reloading supplies.

TXGunNut
03-25-2016, 10:56 PM
Wish my Wal-Mart carried reloading supplies. Still haven't seen any 22 on the shelf there so I'm not holding my breath. My local Cabelas is finally getting a good selection of powders and a decent selection of primers and brass.

runfiverun
03-26-2016, 11:32 AM
our wal-mart doesn't carry re-loading gear but the one down in Utah does.
they don't up here because we have about 7 other places in town to buy guns and two of them carries reloading stuff [used to be 3]

dverna
03-26-2016, 11:34 AM
Hate Walmart as well but some do carry reloading stuff

starmac
03-26-2016, 12:16 PM
I knew some wallmarts carried some reloading items, just ours never has. All of ours do carry handguns, which most do not in other parts of the country, I think it just depends on what the competition is doing.

We have 2 other places in town that carries reloading supplies, hopefully wallmart will not cut into their market too bad.

rondog
03-26-2016, 03:12 PM
Our local WalMart had some reloading stuff too, until a Cabela's opened up about 6 miles away. Kinda pointless then.

funnyjim014
03-26-2016, 08:26 PM
Our local walmarts stoped selling any firearms and never had reloading supplies. Ammo is kind of stapples only, do have pistol ammo if i have the desire to buy any. .22s still are gobbled up as they put them on the shelfs. I respect the fact the dident raise prices as the shortage progressed

marlin39a
03-26-2016, 10:00 PM
Walmart in Cottonwood, AZ has carried reloading stuff for years. I love Walmart.

PaulG67
03-26-2016, 11:33 PM
I don't remember ever being in the sporting section of our local Walmart, have no idea what is there. I suppose now I will have to make a point of looking. I only go to Walmart to pick up stuff for my Mother. I spend more time at a Walmart that is about 11 miles farther away because it is larger and has a better selection of flavored water that I prefer. Haven't checked sporting there either but I will next time I'm there.

NavyVet1959
03-26-2016, 11:44 PM
I saw a bunch of .22 short ammo at my local Wal-Mart the other day. It was overpriced as far as I'm concerned. I'm perfectly happy to let my .22s sit in the gun safe until prices get back to what I consider reasonable (i.e. cheaper than I can reload other calibers).

fatelk
03-27-2016, 12:01 AM
I was just in a Walmart in another town today. The one in my town has ammo behind the counter, but this one has it in a glass case where you can see the price under where the .22 should be.

I was a little surprised to see that their price for Remington 525 bulk was about $30. That's about double what it was before this craziness started. They didn't jack it up quick like some did, but over a few short years they doubled it. And who can blame them, or the manufacturers for that matter?

starmac
03-27-2016, 12:50 AM
Your wallmart may not have jacked the price up quick on 22 ammo, but ours sure did. A few months after the 22 ammo craze began I just happened to be talking to a guy at the sporting counter, he told me he was getting a brick of 22 ammo as they were unloading it off the pallet at the time, so I told them I would take one too. When they rang it up, I handed it back to them and told the salesman, that they must need it more than I did. The price was 31 bucks for remington, sportsmans was getting it in sporadicaly but selling it at 23.99.

1_Ogre
03-27-2016, 07:24 AM
Yesterday, wally world here in NE FL was sellin Remington Thunderbolt 22LR ammo for $25/brick

Rustyleee
03-27-2016, 07:38 AM
Has anyone ever tried looking on walmart.com to see if reloading supplies can be sent to your local store if you order them direct? I don't know... just asking.

oldred
03-27-2016, 09:26 AM
I bought a Contender Carbine barrel in 204 Roger at the WalMart here in East Tn a couple of years ago, I ordered the thing at the sports counter and it was there in two days. I bought it at WalMart because it was the best price I found anywhere!

oldred
03-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Just did a quick check and yes you can do the same with reloading gear, I searched RCBS reloading supplies and every item I looked at was available for store pickup but I didn't look for powder or primers.

w5pv
03-27-2016, 11:38 AM
The only time I like wallyworld is on the hottest summer days when the young ladies wear less to show their wares and the near perfect bodies that they have.

starmac
03-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Ha Ha, I hear you, the only trouble with that is the amount of scantily clad NOT so near perfect bodies that you see before you can close your eyes.

fryboy
03-27-2016, 01:11 PM
Lolz meh the frozen food section usually helped perk me up

I can't recall a Walmart selling reloading supplies in my state ( even the single ones in the bigger podink umm towns )

David2011
03-27-2016, 01:27 PM
as much as I hate wally world you have to give them credit for not gouging on 22 like everybody else.

I just wish they would refuse to sell it to the same few customers that buy every last round only to resell it at the gun shows.

David

2wheelDuke
03-27-2016, 01:43 PM
I was just in a Walmart in another town today. The one in my town has ammo behind the counter, but this one has it in a glass case where you can see the price under where the .22 should be.

I was a little surprised to see that their price for Remington 525 bulk was about $30. That's about double what it was before this craziness started. They didn't jack it up quick like some did, but over a few short years they doubled it. And who can blame them, or the manufacturers for that matter?

I guess it depends on the area. I used to buy one or two of those or a Federal bulk pack for $25ish every time I went to Walmart before this started.

buggybuilder
03-27-2016, 01:57 PM
As far as the "HOGS" buying all Walmarts .22 shells, they are only tying their money up. I never see their tables empty when they have $50-$75 shells on them. I hope they get stuck with them!!! (and also a hernia from hauling them around.)

fatelk
03-27-2016, 04:59 PM
Wow, I wonder how much regional difference there is. I don't remember paying more than about $12 to $15 in recent years before this started. I know when I'd find them for less I'd buy two or three. I'd have a hard time paying $25 even now, though that does seem to be "the new normal".

Blammer
03-27-2016, 05:27 PM
lots of ammo here in the Walmart , no 22LR though, at the last two shows LOTS of 22lr ammo on tables at about $10 per hundred price and all of the vendors still had it when the shows ended. :)

I think they are now getting stuck with it because I've seen several places selling 22LR for cheaper and cheaper prices. Give it time, people will run out of "hoarding" money or realize "yea I think 100,000 rounds is enough..."

Just start cruizine yard sales, you'll find it cheap soon enough.

MtGun44
03-27-2016, 05:37 PM
Absolutely amazing the folks hate a retail store. Pretty bizarre. I really like my
Walmart. Their pharmacy prices are FAR lower than the local drugstores, and I
have saved hundreds of dollars by get prescriptions filled there for a $4 fee without
my insurance, rather than $60 "with insurance" at CVS. Generally have good
deals on the stuff that they stock.

As to .22 ammo, none ever in stock, but the local Academy Sports has 325 boxes
of Federal "Automatch" (whatever that means) for $18.99. Got a box, will see how
it shoots.

Bill

DerekP Houston
03-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Absolutely amazing the folks hate a retail store. Pretty bizarre. I really like my
have saved hundreds of dollars by get prescriptions filled there for a $4 fee without

of Federal "Automatch" (whatever that means) for $18.99. Got a box, will see how
it shoots.

Bill

I've picked up a few boxes of the automatch when its around. It supposedly is designed for the ar-15 22lr clones and such. At least thats what I heard.

DLCTEX
03-27-2016, 07:42 PM
I have seen, and bought reloading supplies in the Walmart in Sweetwater and San Angelo, Texas. I was told it was up to the local manager as to ordering it for the store..

NavyVet1959
03-27-2016, 11:46 PM
Last time I bought .22LR ammo is was the Remington and Federal 500+ round bricks and they were around $7-10 each. I still have a brick or two of those left, but I don't shoot my .22s anymore since I don't want to be buying the overpriced .22LRs that you see out there these days.

fatelk
03-28-2016, 12:37 AM
The years go by don't they? I remember buying ten boxes of the 550 round Remington at Walmart in Coos Bay for $8.88 each. Doesn't seem that long ago, but when I think about it, it must have been in the late '90s. I just finished them up a couple years ago.

About the Federal auto-match 325 packs; that's all I've been able to find, bought three or four of them at the local Bi-Mart over the last few montht: $17.97 each. I really like it, haven't had any issues with it and it seems plenty accurate.

Bad Water Bill
03-28-2016, 02:07 AM
My local Wonder woild will never scalp me EVER.

When the store opened I was looking for some cleaning supplies so asked a SALESPUNK where I could find them.

Wow he unloaded on me on how dangerous firearms and related products are.

Have not entered that store since.

dolfinwriter
03-28-2016, 05:19 AM
it shoots.

Bill

My son went through an entire box of Federal Automatch in a couple of days of training with my Ruger Mk II, plus about 1,000 rounds of other kinds of ammo I had with us. It shot well with occasional jams due to FTE, and only a few of the entire amount FTF.

I almost never find 22LR in any of several Walmarts here. Turner's almost always has some. One LGS always has it but at elevated prices. Big 5 has it for a day or two after shipments come in, and I've gotten several hundred rounds of MiniMags and also several hundred of Winchester Super-X. Last week though at Big 5, their new shipment had prices of $100 for a brick of 500.

If THAT is the new norm, 22LR firearms are going to become obsolete.

dolfinwriter
03-28-2016, 05:22 AM
My local Wonder woild will never scalp me EVER.

When the store opened I was looking for some cleaning supplies so asked a SALESPUNK where I could find them.

Wow he unloaded on me on how dangerous firearms and related products are.

Have not entered that store since.

I would have found a manager and made sure they knew their people should keep their idiotic political views to themselves, because when they speak as an employee, they are speaking for Walmart.

If the manager blows me off, then I write a letter to corporate with both of their names in it.

Jeff Michel
03-28-2016, 06:02 AM

Bill

I don't understand this phenomenon either. I'm darn glad their here.

mold maker
03-29-2016, 12:01 PM
I'm not happy about the closing of all the local stores, but I do enjoy the savings.

aephilli822
03-29-2016, 01:54 PM
The years go by don't they? I remember buying ...

...for less than 1 cent per round. $4.99 for a 550 rd "milk carton"

allen16323
03-29-2016, 09:00 PM
The years go by don't they? I remember buying

boxes of shell with the change I would mine from the couch and liberate from mom and dad's ashtrays in the cars as a kid. 50rnds for 69¢ at the local hardware store, getting there by bicycle was the hard part, all up hill, the excitement of the return trip and the fun that was coming made it seem longer than getting to the store. Come to think about it they would crucify the guy now adays for sell 9-10 ish year olds ammo!!!

fatelk
03-29-2016, 09:21 PM
I know I'm getting way off topic here, but man I can remember what a big deal a single box of 50 was, how much fun I could have for an afternoon, just me and that old bolt-action Savage and a "box of shells".

I was digging through my stuff a while back in preparation for taking my son shooting .22 rifles. I picked up an old box of "Wildcat" ammo off the back shelf and got a wave of nostalgia.

My folks had that old rifle in the closet, and maybe half a box of ammo of the shelf in the kitchen cupboard. That's all they needed I guess, to dispatch the occasional mean rooster or sick cow.

Jeff Michel
03-30-2016, 05:57 AM
I was buying .22 shorts at the Western Auto, 50 cents a box. Those were the days. That is until I remember that at the same time I was breaking beef for 1.80 an hour at the Red and White store.

DLCTEX
03-31-2016, 07:07 PM
When I was nine (1954) I bought 22 shorts at 25 cents for box of 50 and lr was 35. Many rabbits died per box.

dolfinwriter
04-01-2016, 02:01 AM
When I was nine (1954) I bought 22 shorts at 25 cents for box of 50 and lr was 35. Many rabbits died per box.

Keep in mind, with inflation, 25 cents in 1954 was ~ $2.23 last year. That's still better than any price I've seen on 22LR for a long time, and any longs or shorts were even higher.

GrocMax
04-01-2016, 03:01 AM
Walrus World- Moo-Moo's in mu-mu's.

jonp
04-02-2016, 08:47 PM
Your lucky. Wal Mart in NC don't carry reloading stuff. If they did they would be the lowest price around as that is their business model but they will make shelf space for what sells. The ones up my way do carry some guns and at a good price too but buying them from the less than knowledgeable sales is a real hassle