PDA

View Full Version : Ramshot Powders

Marlin Junky
05-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Are any of you guys in Eastern Montana using Ramshot BigGame and/or TAC? Can you tell us something about these two powders as far as cast bullet applications are concerned? How much is an 8 pound jug going for up there? Is it actually made in Miles City or is that just the bottling/distribution center? I'l be near Billings next month but was wondering if there's any place closer to Sheridan where I can find some. I've tried DP-85 (Ramshot Hunter according to the Accurate website) but it's too slow for most of my needs... works pretty well in a .35W with the heaviest bullets and filler though.

MJ

GabbyM
05-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Jug of Ramshot TAC I have says "manufactured in Belgium for Western Powders, Inc.

Marlin Junky
05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
GabbyM,

What do you use the TAC in and how does it perform?

MJ

richbug
05-05-2008, 08:06 PM
GabbyM,

MJ

I am using TAC in 223 and 308 jacket bullet loads. Very similar to BLC-2.

shooter93
05-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Personally...I've not had any Tac powder be the best load for anything. Doesn't mean they aren't good powders....just my experience with them.

GabbyM
05-05-2008, 09:01 PM
GabbyM,

MJ

Bought it last winter for 223 in heavy Varmint rifle and AR-15. Duplicate M193 Ball and 69 gr. Match for the AR. Haven't shot it enough to know how well it'll work. It's suppose to burn cleaner than the H Varget or H 335 I've been burning.
Guess I need to get out and shoot more. I've 16 lbs of it so I hope I like.

sundog
08-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Okay, y'all had all summer. I need to know about TAC and Big Game for .223 and 22-250 respectively. Gonna get a 1# of BG to test 22-250 with 50 grainers and if any good I'll get 8#s from Powder Valley at the Tulsa Gun Show. Inquiring minds, doncha know...

RU shooter
08-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Sundog, My experience with TAC is mainly in the 223 with Jacketed 55-75 gr. and cast in the 32 spl.
Overall I like it in the 223, burns cleaner and lights alot easier than H335 ,accuracy wise it beats H335 hands down in my rifle anyways in all bullet weights. Vel. is also impressive with heavier bullet weights.
In the old 32 winney it shoots just great with the RCBS170. Hope that helps some.

Tim

jameslovesjammie
08-26-2008, 04:27 AM
I've been using Ramshot's powders almost since they first came out. I have used Big Game in the .270 Win, Enforcer in .357, True Blue in .38 Special, and Xterminator in .223.

I've had excellent luck with all of them, especially with Xterminator and a 52 gr Sierra Matchking and around 25 grains of powder. I always wanted to try TAC but never got around to trying it before I moved from home.

The folks at Western Powders are really good to deal with. I used to have an email contact there, I think her name was Brenda. If you emailed her with a certain bullet and caliber, she could often give you a starting point for load development even if it wasn't in the manual.

Southern Son
08-26-2008, 05:59 AM
How do the Ramshot powders go with temperature change. One of the things I like most about Mulwex powder is if the load is safe in winter, you won't blow your primers out in summer (Winter is quite mild here, but summer can be a bit harsh). I think it was IMR powder I first reloaded with in my .222 Brno, worked up a load on the only indoor shooting range in Sydney (that went back to 100 meters that I knew of) and it shot great (a little dirty, but accurate and safe). Loaded up a heap of rounds and went shooting foxes out near Bourke in early summer. Ended up blowing a couple of primers and got a couple of gouges in the bolt face. The ammo was fine if I shot it at night while spotlighting, but if the case got a bit hot in the sun, it pushed the pressure up past safe.

hedgehorn
08-26-2008, 06:38 AM
I have been using Tac in my 223 as well as the 204 Ruger with good success. I also shoot Tru Blue in 44 mag and really like how clean it burns and how well it meters. It was not to bad to find and priced pretty good a couple of years ago here but as of late I have been buying it online because I cant find it locally.

Fleataxi
08-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Marlin Junkie: CFI turned me on to Ramshot Powders. At the time, they were 50% cheaper than all other powders I could have ordered that were worth a darn.

The TAC works 100% in my .223 loads using SS-109 pulled bullets. I had to talk to their Head Ballistician to get a correct load for that round, since they hadn't published it yet - he was most helpful!

BTW: The load he gave me was 23 grains of TAC with a CCI small rifle primer when loading 62gr fmj SS-109 penetrators. According to him, this load closely duplicates MIL Spec loading data for the SS-109.

I'm also using their ZIP load for my Cast Boolits in .45acp. For a 230gr TC cast boolit, I'm using 5.5 grains of ZIP with a CCI large Pistol primer, and getting excellent results.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with the results/price of Ramshot powders.

Fleataxi

jameslovesjammie
08-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Southern Sun,

Ramshot powders are spherical ball and are almost completely unaffected by temperature changes. They do not always require a magnum primer though, like some other ball powders do.