PDA

View Full Version : 308 AR10 cast bullet choice.

gtgeorge
03-24-2016, 05:30 PM
I am looking to start loading for an AR10 in .308 Win and looking for cast bullet profiles and possible load suggestions to go with the same that cycle the factory system and have been found accurate. All I have currently is the MP Hunter in HP that works great in the 30/30 as well as another MP hollow point with a wider front but both weigh in around 150gr as HP. I worry that I would have to push the 150gr too fast to be accurate and still operate the stock gas system. This will be for a DPMS Recon with 16" 1:10 twist.

For now I am looking to start with something reliable and fun to shoot as accurate as possible and will then look towards something for hunting before the next rifle season for both hogs and deer. I have had great results loading lead for the AR in .223 but had to shoot jacketed in it for deer and hogs as the lead was fragmenting on impact testing and accuracy was at lower than suitable velocities for it to take deer and hogs ethical.

Artful
03-24-2016, 09:59 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?103387-AR-10-Cast!!!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?3558-7-62x51-NATO-(-308-WCF)-in-the-Springfield-M1A

popper
03-24-2016, 10:10 PM
Accurate 31-165, PC or lube versions. 2400 fps in LR-308 carbine. ~40gr. H4895 or similar. COWW (~4% Sb), heat treated.

sawinredneck
03-24-2016, 10:19 PM
Subscribing so I can find this info again later. I'm in the the same state right now, looking at the Lee 150gr mold and was thinking going the PC route. But I've got to check the data to make sure Varget is going to be happy with this set up as well.

gtgeorge
03-28-2016, 06:33 AM
Thanks Artful for the links. They were already open and being read in other tabs and full of useful info but was hoping for others to chime in with more combinations that worked for them since those seemed to breaking into where there was little info available.

And Popper I am deeply grateful for that as I have started dabbling with PC and found first shot accuracy when hunting with them a plus in cold weather. I ordered the Lee 168gr mold that should be hear today to see how they shoot before dishing out the cash on a higher priced one since I am starting to look like a hoarder for MP, NOE and Accurate. I also have H4895. I like 3-3-94 alloy for my rifle alloys so far. In your opinion will it be tough enough (likely PC'd) without heat treating? I dislike heat treating and rather do it with alloy instead.

I also have Quickload so I get to play with what if's along the way. Unfortunately work and other obligations keep getting in the way and the new hungry mouth will be here tomorrow begging for food!

popper
03-28-2016, 11:24 AM
My alloy for 308W is 4% or a tad better Sb, with 0.3-0.5% Cu, no tin, heat treated. More u just makes them harder but they shoot fine. I PC so just cook longer then dump in cold water. I go a tail shot on a ~150# running pig with AC Isocore/Cu @ 25 yds with 40SW - end-to-end pass through that took out the left shoulder. My experience with the old Lee moulds wasn't that good so I went to Accurate 2x. I do have a 4x with L.G. I don't use anymore but it shoots the same @ 100. I can't tell the difference between any of the cavities on his moulds - I can get exactly what I want and turn-around time is great.

gtgeorge
03-28-2016, 12:50 PM
My problem comes whenever I order from Accurate is not really knowing what I want and then the inability to get a 90º edge when I want one. I really love the ones I have but no rifle molds yet.