PDA

View Full Version : lyman mold problem

rifleshooter
05-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Well I have cleaned and cleaned and looked for burrs, checked the handles , the alignment holes and still can see daylight between the two mold halves. It was brand new and I have only molded a little over 200 boolits and it was tight as could be before, no light at all anywhere . ahs anyone had the same thing happen. thanks

garandsrus
05-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Rifleshooter,

Did you remove the handles to see if the mold closes properly without them? If it does, then your handle is binding the mold somehow but at least gives you a place to look. If it doesn't, then the alignment pins need to be driven a little deeper into the mold as they are holding the mold apart.

John

rifleshooter
05-05-2008, 06:11 PM
thanks John for the reply, they do not close with the handles off. I tried tapping the pin with a piece of wood but it didn't move. guess I'll just keep working with it.

leftiye
05-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Yeah, you'll need a punch and hammer and a moderately hard hit to move them (work up on it!). If you feel ambitious, Knock the pins clear back inside the block, and test the flatness of each block against a "surface" - as close to a ground and lapped surface as you can find. this before you deburr the holes, and replace the pins into position.

runfiverun
05-05-2008, 08:07 PM
how do your boolits look?

rifleshooter
05-05-2008, 08:16 PM
the boolits look good after i got the mold up to temp. but a few did have a little flashing at the parting line because of the gap. they are still more than useable but its just the idea that its a new mold and I haven't found the cause yet that drives me nuts.[smilie=b:

selmerfan
05-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I've had a similar experience with a SAECO mold. I've not gone after the problem yet as final papers are calling me right now. I'll be interested in this thread though...
Selmerfan

runfiverun
05-05-2008, 11:44 PM
i feel your pain here, as i always get a bit nervous when i get a new mold.
the pins are your best bet , i know if i get a bit of lead around mine they act up
like this.

i am assuming that you checked this with the sprue plate in the open position also?

rifleshooter
05-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Well I think I figured it out. I took the dial calipers and measured the two pins and one was .021" farther out so i fixed that. And when I got the mold back up hot after pouring then it was shutting back flush and tight again. when I stopped this time i tied the handles together and let it cool down closed.