PDA

View Full Version : Looking for anyone that loads the Saeco 929 boolit in 9mm

mtgrs737
03-23-2016, 11:28 PM
I asked about this boolit on another area and have not gotten any responses. I got a used Saeco 929 two cavity mold that drops a SWC style boolit at 147 grs. and was originally intended for the 38 super. I was wanting a heavy 9mm boolit and thought that this one might work. I got the mold and cast some samples but have not been able to locate any data using this boolit in the 9mm case. Anyone have any experience with this one?

lotech
03-24-2016, 01:35 AM
I bought such a mould new in the late 1980s. Old notes indicate it cast a .358" bullet from wheelweight alloy, a good diameter for many 9mm bores. I ran these through a .360" die in a SAECO lubrisizer. Bullets were seated to give an OAL of 1.16" and I recall no feeding or functioning problems. I tried many powders including 231, Blue Dot, Herco, Unique, SR4756, Accurate #7, SR7625, and Power Pistol. From an accuracy perspective, most gave mediocre results. Power Pistol was dismal. My records indicate good accuracy with Unique and Accurate #7. I've had several 9mm pistols over the years but I believe most of my load development work with the #929 was done using a Beretta 92 and maybe a Walther P4.

I don't know whether I still have this mould or not, but if I was going to load #929 bullets today in the 9mm, I would try HS-6. I never found any published load data for this bullet, so I won't suggest charge weights. It might be worth the time to contact Redding on this or perhaps find data for a cast or jacketed bullet with a similar style, weight, and bearing length and proceed cautiously. Good luck in your endeavor.

bobthenailer
03-24-2016, 05:47 PM
I have the 929 in a 4 cavity , I have used it in the 9mm but prefer the Saeco #377 or #384 122 gr bullets , I do use the 929 for my two 38 supers. for the 9mm try Powerpistol and start at 4.0 grs and work up.