PDA

View Full Version : Casting Equipment Cost

beanflip
05-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Want cast my own boolits (44 mag). I need everything that it takes to cast boolits. Whats the average cost of the equipment and how many boolits does it take to pay for it self. The lead is no problem have endless supply. Thanks

Bullshop
05-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Do you have a best friend yet? If not I would like to be it. Wow a best friend with an endless supply of lead. In exchange I can offer an endless supply of BS.
Blessings
BIC/BS in endless supply

carpetman
05-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Your first step will be rendering your lead into ingots. Probably cheapest route here is a cast iron pot on a Coleman stove. You'll need an ingot mold and tons of stuff has been written about what to use---get a cast iron ingot mold and be done with it. Then you'll cast bullets--need a mold--and handles for it.(guess you could forego the handles and use pliers somehow---I can see it now that being a topic for a long series of posts) I say get an RCBS--it'll last forever. Then you lube and possibly size. Some merely use liquid alox. I use an RCBS luber sizer---not the cheapest route if that's what you are looking for. If you use a gas check mold you'll be out the cost of them. Price out all of this equipment and divide what you currently pay for bullets and you can figure how many you need to cast to be ahead. With endless supply of lead you should be able to recoup at some point.
Darn forgot that you'll need a casting pot. You can get by with a ladle and a small cast iron pot on the Coleman stove---I say get a Lee bottom pour.

454PB
05-05-2008, 01:15 PM
You could get set up to cast for one boolit design in new equipment for as little as $100......or as much as $700. It just depends how much you're willing to invest in money and time.

Ifishsum
05-05-2008, 04:29 PM
It doesn't take long to pay for itself if you have free lead. I bought a cast iron skillet for $10 to smelt on the camp stove (already have that) using an old muffin tin as an ingot mold. $55 for a Lee Production Pot IV, $4 for a ladle and $20 for a Lee double cavity mold. You can tumble lube with Lee Liquid Alox ($4 a bottle). For less than $100 you can get started, and with current CB prices it should pay for itself within 1000 boolits or less.

I just got started myself, I was going to buy 500 each of .45 colt and .38 cast boolits at my local SW last month, and would have spent over $100. I was able to scare up a couple hundred lbs of lead so i decided to invest in casting equipment instead. It's enjoyable and I like the idea that when I run out of boolits I can simply fire up the pot and make some more!

madcaster
05-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Beanflip,
Many of us have started with a Coleman camp stove and did right well with them.
Dan is just missing out on his sleep again,but I just KNOW that if you have a pile of lead Dan is your friend-as well as a friend to the rest of us!:groner:
Just read up in the "stickies section" at the top of the page,and let us know what you DO have for equipment so far!
I have an extra sizer or two now,and dies,that I do not use,as well as a dipper.

runfiverun
05-05-2008, 11:50 PM
the lead is no problem have endless supply......
then it ain't gonna cost ya nothing to get into casting.
box the lead up ship it out and buy new boolits...

repeat process.............

HeavyMetal
05-06-2008, 12:15 AM
The one thing I have learned from reloading over the years is I never save money I just shoot more for the same dollar amount!

The more you get into it the more things you want to buy. My Doctor calls this Terminal Gadgetitus!

Having children is not a cure but it does slow down the cash flow....

Down South
05-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Terminal Gadgetitus! So, I wondered what was wrong with me. Now I know.

TAWILDCATT
05-06-2008, 09:18 PM
every one wil tell you what to get me too.get lee catalog and a midsouthshooters.com.mis south has 30% of lees cat price.
20 lb bottom pour pot $78
lee molds $18/34=2/6 cavity
turkey cooker to melt ww and clean lead.w 12 quart castpot.$79 agri supply.[smilie=f:----[smilie=b:

Sig shooter
05-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Your free lead should be wheel weights , as pure lead needs alloy.

river-rider
05-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Terminal Gadgetitus!
I recognize the problem. Cast and save money?? Just shoot more.:Fire:

Marshal Kane
05-19-2008, 11:27 PM
[
Not so easy to answer your cost question inasmuch as you can start off on a shoestring or go into it like you'll be casting for years. If you're not fully commited to doing this forever, go with used equipment and/or new Lee equipment. Lee equipment gives you a lot of value for the money. If you're fully commited, still go with used equipment when possible but shop for brands like RCBS, Lyman, Saeco, Star equipment among others. These are the brands that sell longivity so the cost is a bit higher. So maybe the best answer is for you to make your choice depending on how commited you are. By the time I assembled a full casting outfit, I had invested almost $700 into my equipment but then, I fully expect to pass this equipment on to my sons when I enter that big range in the sky. Just MY opinion and we all have one.