PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 lubisizer - AUGHHH!

mugsie
05-05-2008, 12:12 PM
It takes me longer to swap the die and punch in this sizer than it does to reload 100 bullets! Aughhh! They couldn't design something other than the machine screw threads in the nut?! How bout a breech lock or some other thing that would make swapping out sizer dies a snap? Hell, if they can't do it I certainly can for them. It's such a pain in the butt trying to get the threads engaged with all that lube in them. A simple snap ring would even work but noooo, Lyman has got to design the finest threads known to man - and expect them to mate with all kinds of lube on everything. What a mess. Yeah, I know - I tried cleaning them out - it still takes forever.:killingpc

Whew! I feel better!:drinks:

leftiye
05-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Agreed, Been said a couple a times before. Just had the same experience (again) the other day. Thought the threads were stripped. They've been using that stoopud nut fer a lotta years.

selmerfan
05-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Hmm, I haven't had a problem threading mine....yet.
Selmerfan

454PB
05-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Passing a propane torch over the lock nut and the top of the female threads will soften the lube for removal with a paper towel.

GabbyM
05-05-2008, 01:21 PM
I bought an RCBS sizer off Ebay a couple months ago. The die & nut wasn't screwed all the way down. Took it apart and dug a very mauled .30 caliber carbine bullet from the lube channel. Went right together after that. Lol

It does get the pucker factor up thinking about stripping threads.
So far so good with me, knock wood.

You'll want to push the die into the nut before inserting. I push out the ejector pin to use as a handle to wiggle the die and nut into alignment as needed. Hair dryer shot down the open bore to soften up the lube seams to help too.

VTDW
05-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Hmm, I haven't had a problem threading mine....yet.
Selmerfan

Me either. I screw the nut backwards until it 'sets', place a flat on top of it, lower the ram to put a tad of tension on the flat and just screw it in. Until then I had the same problem as mugsie.

Dave