PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a boat

osteodoc08
03-20-2016, 05:58 PM
Looking for a boat to spend family time with during the summer. Looking for a 21-24 foot bowrider.

I've come across 2 genres of boats: Newer 21-22 footers say 2004-2007 and older 23-25 footers 2000-2004. Mostly looking at Sea Ray, Bryant, Crownline, Chaparral, Cobalt.

The older ones do appear a little dated as far as electronics go and sometime around 2005-2007 many of the boats were "modernized" and generally have a little more "eye appeal". Whichever boat I choose I want to have a fuel injected 350 and Mercruiser Bravo III outdrive. Most boats have 150-300 hours. I will pay for a professional survey as well.

So....I guess the question is, purchase an older/larger boat, mechanically sound, and spend some money on upgrades/replacement (carpeting, electronics, etc) or buy a newer one that may not need so much upgrades/replacement?

AK Caster
03-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Here is my take. Unless you are buying a boat 3 years or newer it will require new electronics if you want to fish out of it. If you go the older route and refurbish it you will never recover even 50% of what you do to bring it up to speed. Going older makes sense if you are 150% positive you want to keep the boat for a long long time. After owning inboards and outboards I came to the opinion outboards are less trouble, cost less, less maintenance, and weigh a lot less than a outdrive and inboard. Plus they usually draft less when they are running.
Good luck with either way you choose to go:)

ph4570
03-20-2016, 06:30 PM
I would go for a newer one. Next on my list would be self contained cooling system -- especially if it will ever see salt water.

opos
03-20-2016, 06:41 PM
I have a nickname "The Admiral" for the number of old and newer boats I've outfitted, rebuilt, bought and sold, etc to fish offshore in the San Diego area....A marine survey by a competent and licensed and insured marine surveyor is the only way to get any idea of the real condition of a boat..and that is not someones uncle that has owned a boat...it's expensive. Boat mechanics get over $100 an hour and can spend a half a day dropping and picking up tools and wiping them off. If the boat is in a slip with an outdrive on it you really need a good mechanical survey as well...I've owned several Merc outdrives and they are nice units but aluminum, stainless, brass and bronze all in a water bath make a dandy "battery" and galvanic action can destroy an outdrive inside while the outside looks just fine...I had one case where I had a marine surveyor that was really up on his game check the Merc O/D...he found some minor metal shavings on the magnetic plug in the lower unit and advised me to pass or really deal with the owner...something was shedding metal and they don't heal...

Boats are wonderful fun but can also hold some real nasty surprises...any boat that is older probably has stringers glassed into the hull...regardless of the way they are placed they stand a chance of getting dry rotted and making a soft bottom and deck...Marine engines ... even the fresh water cooled engines with heat exchangers need exhaust manifolds and that is about a grand every few years (the manifolds on a "fresh water cooled" engine are not fresh water cooled (closed system like a radiator on a car) so if in salt they go away and rust never sleeps.

Now for the one "big surprise"...way back many years ago when I wanted my Wife and kids to join me in my fishing trips i got a boat to take care of their needs (a head, a place to get out of the sun, a little galley to fix a sandwich, etc)...Wife hated the boat and never did fish with me and the kids liked it for a while but had lots of other activities...so I ended up with a boat (that time) that was dandy for the family but a compromise for fishing and ended up sellling it and getting what I wanted just for the fishing.

A boat will cost double what you think it will but if you enjoy it...it's like any other hobby...it's in the doing and not in the spending...just move cautiously and electronics are a big expense to do it right...and good ones are essential if you are going out of the sight of land...

We are in a different kind of deal than many..our fishing (I'm no longer involved because of health) was many miles offshore for big game fish...If you are going offshore it's a whole new ball game with things like emergency locator beacons, good radios, etc and it's expensive...if you are talking lakes or near bays you can get by with pretty minimum kinds of things...Spring is coming and boats will be for sale everywhere...should have a good selection.

Good luck and happy water time.

Screwbolts
03-20-2016, 06:46 PM
Bring Out Another Thousand, is my take on them there vessels.

Ken

Outer Rondacker
03-20-2016, 06:57 PM
Tell me where you are located and what you can spend in a PM. I used to buy and sell boats for a living.

Outer Rondacker
03-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Bring Out Another Thousand, is my take on them there vessels.

Ken This is only true for the first 10 mph gain. As in 1mph per 1k gain. After that it costs about 2k per mile an hour. LOL Performance boater here. :}

C. Latch
03-20-2016, 07:10 PM
Boats are ridiculously simple to own and operate, and very low maintenance, until you make the mistake of adding electronics or power.

<----canoeist.

eta: Just kidding. Having a boat sounds like a great way to spend time with family. :)

osteodoc08
03-20-2016, 07:32 PM
This will be used in lakes in and around north/central GA. Won't be doing a lot of fishing off it. No offshore.

OS OK
03-20-2016, 08:40 PM

26 1/2 foot 'Wellcraft Aftcabin'…Merc. outdrive…350 naturally aspirated…46 MPH, stock prop…offshore racing hull...100 gal. fresh water & fuel…galley, shower/crapper...sleeps 4 adults comfy…Can't overly state this hull in Pacific big waters…diving/fishing, has plenty of open rear deck to accommodate whatever you do. This is an 84 model and I would buy it again without hesitation. She never let my family down…built like a brick spit house…will get on plane faster than any of the competitors and out run them too. The engine hatch is light weight and provides overly spacious room to all areas in the engine compartment, a dream to maintain and keep clean.

OS OK

Thumbcocker
03-20-2016, 09:13 PM
You might get in touch with a guy named Donnie Baker he has had a boat for sale for a long time.

762 shooter
03-20-2016, 09:27 PM
Definition of a boat = a hole in the water you try to fill up with money.

Menner
03-20-2016, 10:54 PM
All right I will weigh in I have owned a boat my whole life I basically only operate in salt water inshore, (if I go offshore it is with somebody else charter or friend) unless duck hunting that is freshwater most of the time. So what does that mean I am operating the size boat that you are looking at my current boat is a 20' outrage (Boston Whaler) that is a 1979 Hull and has been in my family since 1983 sold my Aquasport and took over the Whaler.

First what is the purpose? from your post it looks like it will be will be fresh water cruising maybe some tubing, skiing, or wake boarding
if that is the case look for a Boat setup to ski behind, we tube and knee board and wake board behind the fishing boat but you have to use a harness ski pole is better, and don't turn your nose up at a Deck boat buddy of mine just picked up a 21' ten year old deck boat with a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke with 250 hrs on the motor for 13K and it looks almost new w/ a ski pole and plenty of power to pull with and tons of room.
You won't be going offshore, or fishing so electronics needed are minimal you need a decent depth finder (you don't need a $1200 HDS7 Lowrance w/ side scan ) a good GPS and marine radio, you can get a music radio that will Bluetooth to your phone for about $120, but the boat you are looking for will probably already have a radio
I would stick with a outboard and it would be a 4 stroke. Had a 140 Johnson 2 stroke and in 2001 put a 130 Honda (have not looked back) have spent 0 dollars on it beside regular maintenance and it uses about half the fuel the 2 stroker did and you don't have to smell the exhaust and listen to it run
This boat gets fished and fished hard right up through Dec. Rock fishing it never gets winterized

It has been said that the 2 happiest days in a boat owners life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

I am not in that camp and never will be. I hope I will not ever be without a boat in my yard
Don't be afraid of a used boat you can pay to have a 20' ski boat surveyed probably cost you more than the boat, up to you. misuse and abuse are hard to hide on a boat it is easy to tell if it has been taken care of make sure you get it in the water and put it through its paces take a friend that is a long time boat owner with you if you don't feel comfortable.
You are either a boat owner or you are not, buy one and you will know shortly there after.
Just My Humble Opinion
Tony

facetious
03-21-2016, 03:47 AM
I was told that the only thing better then having a boat is having a good friend with a boat. That way all you have to do is throw in on the gas now and then. no insurance, no tags he gets to tow it and so on.

Menner
03-21-2016, 07:30 AM
Yeah that maybe correct but I will be that friend I love owning my boats I can go fishing when I want (if that pesky little thing called work doesn't get in the way) it is about not being dependent on some one else I guess. There is a test to see if you will get invited back at the end of the day who is there cleaning the boat will be a determining factor for the next invite, gas money is one thing but you must be willing to do the labor.
Tony

William Yanda
03-21-2016, 08:07 AM
Definition of a boat = a hole in the water you try to fill up with money.

That is the optimist's definition. The real definition is a hole in the water that you throw money in.

Outer Rondacker
03-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Others have said the same thing about my shooting. They can understand having one gun or like an old timer friend of mine shooting it to kill food but not for fun. Its a waste of money they would say. I look at them in the bar room 5 nights a week buying a $3.50 beer over and over and I think that is a waste of money. I can enjoy many things and one is seeing the smile of a child on a tube behind a boat or when I take them for a 100 mph ride up the lake. I help promote boating in my area when I can. I made a video a few years back from a home made quad copter with first person point of view flight. Stills have been taken from this video to help bring attention to our events we host. I have had boats that cost stupid money in the past and boats that I have invested 500 dollars in that looked and ran great. It does not have to be a money pit. Or it can be.

OS OK
03-21-2016, 12:36 PM
'Money pit boats' are those that someone uses and neglects…they sell them and the new owner, often a newbie is saddled with the expense of repair then seasonal maintenance and winterizing in some areas…then comes the quips about a 'hole in the water that you throw money'.

There is more responsibility in boat ownership than just motoring around with a big grin on your face. Buy what you can afford to serve your needs, operate and maintain.

popper
03-21-2016, 12:41 PM
Things to consider about boat ownership. Family size and age + YOUR age. Type of boat usage - ski/fish/cruise. How much time YOU want to spend launching/cleaning/repairing? Kids don't help. Trailering? I've had 2 15' fish/ski trihulls/50hp outboard - easy on the budget/easy trailering/reasonable resale $ AND I'm glad I don't have a boat now. I would advise a deep V if large lakes for rough water. Wife's BIL has a really nice 26' I/O (second one), loves it but his grown kids and GKs use it, HE gets to maintain it. I've found it cheaper to rent if I need a boat now.
Actually, he will tow it from Nashville to Branson this fall, so we can cruise Tablerock. He & I went fly fishing Tanycomo 2 years ago, $250 for guide & boat & equipment. Well worth the money/ no hassle. He had to get surge brake fixed, extra for gas + boat gas. But he does love his boats.

Outer Rondacker
03-21-2016, 05:04 PM
Its like like everything. If you do not take care of it and address it before it happens then you will have issues. Bellows need changing just like oil needs changing. Wheel bearings need grease so does your drive. If you leave the top down in your car and let it sit in the rain do not wonder why its all nasty and looks like ****. Same goes for a boat. A few basics can make sure you have a good day on the water. Good battery.(2) with guest switch. Bellow check. Good motor upkeep. Run good gas since they sit more then they get used. Start with the good stuff. None Ethy. Make sure it is put away DRY in both summer and winter. Put a good few coats of wax on it. Keep the hull clean. Teach the family where everything is and what its used for in a boat. No bird nests for ropes. Use your tether cord. I will tell you I have had it save me from some really crazy stuff before. Get the kids in on the check list for launching and before you know it they will be reminding you to do things right.

runfiverun
03-21-2016, 09:07 PM
I been through the boat up size-down size thing a couple of times.
right now I have 2.
one I can handle by myself if necessary and use it pretty much for fishing and on smaller waters.
and another that NEEDS 2 people to launch and get back out of the lake. [it's bigger/faster and more comfortable]
the second one still doesn't get used much.

flounderman
03-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Are you going to trailer it. Smaller boats pull easier, take less power to do what a bigger boat requires. I have had stern drives, outboards and diesel with a shaft. The outboard doesn't take up room in the boat and doesn't weigh as much as a stern drive. A 21 ft with a 150 outboard with the correct pitch prop will do about anything you want and it will load, unload and trailer easier.

Outer Rondacker
03-21-2016, 10:10 PM
I been through the boat up size-down size thing a couple of times.
right now I have 2.
one I can handle by myself if necessary and use it pretty much for fishing and on smaller waters.
and another that NEEDS 2 people to launch and get back out of the lake. [it's bigger/faster and more comfortable]
the second one still doesn't get used much. Me too. I have a 11 foot seats two with a 50hp outboard. The wife and I use it to bounce around visiting our friends docks and for late season shallow water time. Then we have the 27 foot big boat with a single step and worked 502. Runs mid 80s in any water our big lakes have. We use this mostly since it has a small cabin and we like to go hear bands on the lake and crash in the boat until morning. I think the OP has what he wants in mind and is on the right track.

Are you going to trailer it. Smaller boats pull easier, take less power to do what a bigger boat requires. I have had stern drives, outboards and diesel with a shaft. The outboard doesn't take up room in the boat and doesn't weigh as much as a stern drive. A 21 ft with a 150 outboard with the correct pitch prop will do about anything you want and it will load, unload and trailer easier. You sound like me. If I had to pick I would pick an outboard over a inboard any day. I love the small cats. Then again I love fast boats and have been driving them since a kid. Outboards make for easy speed. Less work. Not as smooth ride as a I/O. You dont get that nice swim deck with an outboard. Lots of pros and conns.

TXGunNut
03-21-2016, 10:20 PM
I can nearly lob a rifle boolit into one of the best fishing and recreational lakes in TX. Haven't been fishing in years but when I get the hankering I can call any guide I want and go catch fish all day long for less than one month's cost on a boat. If he's worth his salt he'll know where the fish are, what they're hitting and he'll probably tell me to leave my tackle in the shed.
Let me tell you a secret about fishing guides around here; most obviously married well. Best I can tell they cover fuel and other expenses but little more.