PDA

View Full Version : Which boolit for 1911 9mm

Teknikal
03-20-2016, 01:20 PM
I've been reloading fmj for quite sometime now and I'm just getting into casting. I slugged my 1911 ria barrel and found its aprox .3565" or 9.06mm. I'm need a little help with which boolit to cast. I'll be powder coating and have been looking at the Lee 124 TL RN and TC. I've been loading RN and they cycle fine, but I've heard great things on the TC boolits. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

tazman
03-20-2016, 01:28 PM
I would stay away from the TL versions of those molds and get the standard lube groove versions. You can still powder coat them. There are many reports of problems with the TL versions while the standard versions are universally liked.
The 356-120 TC is a great boolit that functions perfectly and shoots accurately in every 9mm I have tried it in. Many others on this site feel the same way.
My all time favorite boolit for 9mm is the NOE 358-135-FN. It feeds perfectly and the accuracy exceeds any other boolit I have tried.

Teknikal
03-20-2016, 03:13 PM
I would stay away from the TL versions of those molds and get the standard lube groove versions. You can still powder coat them. There are many reports of problems with the TL versions while the standard versions are universally liked.
The 356-120 TC is a great boolit that functions perfectly and shoots accurately in every 9mm I have tried it in. Many others on this site feel the same way.
My all time favorite boolit for 9mm is the NOE 358-135-FN. It feeds perfectly and the accuracy exceeds any other boolit I have tried.
What seems to be the problem with the TL boolits? I noticed a few people said they casted skinny.

tazman
03-20-2016, 05:02 PM
They tend to cast skinny which is not always a problem. The problem is there doesn't seem to be enough bearing surface on the sides of the boolit to grip the rifling properly, particularly in 9mm. By powder coating them then sizing, you may remove the issue but I don't know for certain. When they work, they do so extremely well. When they don't, you get tumbling and/or leading with poor accuracy.
This mostly seems to happen in 9mm. The TL design works extremely well in other calibers such as 38 special or 45ACP. It may be the extra chamber pressure of the 9mm cartridge that causes the issue.
There are a number of people on this site who have excellent luck with them. Many do not.

jcren
03-20-2016, 06:01 PM
Also the case of a 9 tapers internally pretty quick, this tends to squeeze a long bullet as it is shoved into the case. This swedging effect is worse on the soft micro bands of a tl bullet. Often a .358 bullet can be pulled after loading and will be as small as .354.