PDA

View Full Version : Star sizers?

mto7464
05-04-2008, 08:49 PM
I inquired about a sizer, for my new to me star, and got a reply back from them asking for the number of lube grooves and if more then one the distance center to center. I plan on lubing several types of bullets with this same sizer, can this be done without a problem???

Dennis Eugene
05-04-2008, 08:56 PM
it can be done but it is a hassel. they send you lead shot to plug the lube holes in the sizer that you will not use for that paticular boolit if you change boolits and need to open other holes you have to drill out the shot or if you need to close some other holes you have to insert more shot . So you see it can be done but yes it is a hassle. It is easier but not cheaper to have a seperate die for every different boolit. Hope this is clear enough. Dennis

johnho
05-04-2008, 08:58 PM
For a single lube groove no problem. For bullets with more than one lube groove chances are you will need a different sizing die for each bullet. You may be able to drill out the plugs when you want to use them IF the distance is the same between lube grooves for multiple bullets. Not practical however. I"m assuming you are sizing the same diameter bullet each time.

John

EDK
05-04-2008, 10:46 PM
I left only the center set of holes open in the .432 die I just received from MAGMA.

It's working for the GLL group buy full wadcutter, LYMAN 427666, 429667, 429244. 429649 and the RANCH DOG TLC 432 265; haven't cast up and 429215s yet. Only thing is to adjust the length on the punch...I finally started running them through nose first.

WATCH THE LEAD SHOT you plug the holes with. I had a tiny piece stick in a die and didn't catch it--couldn't find it--and scratched a lot of H&G 68s until I honed the die a shade larger and finally pulled the piece out! "The devil is in the details!"

:cbpour: :redneck: :Fire: