PDA

View Full Version : Changin my name to "Bad Luck"

daengmei
03-18-2016, 08:18 PM
Got tired of rebuilding a lawnmower I had used for about 10 years. I finally bought a new mower at the start of last summer. Late August it stopped running. No fuel delivery. Under warranty I took it back and waited for a call. Get a new one they say...OK. Used it twice and no more cutting till today. Got it out and it wouldn't start. Again no fuel delivery. Removing the plug ya know. What has happened to Sears Craftsman mowers? Chinese no doubt. Taking it back and getting my money this time. A little work and the Husqvarna will roll again. Actual rebuild of carb only twice and the frame needed some extra bracing for the front wheels, I never washed the grass out and it rusted a bit.

Geezer in NH
03-18-2016, 09:03 PM
Buy from non servicing big box stores get your savings. NOT

Buy from a servicing dealer and don't keep ethanol gas in the carb may help you.

PaulG67
03-18-2016, 09:48 PM
I bought a Husqvarna maybe 6 years ago, best mower ever, starts first time every time. It helps that I bought from a servicing dealer across the street thought I have yet to bring for service. Change the oil in the spring, in the fall I let it run till it runs out of fuel and put it away . Just took it out the other day, put fuel in it pulled the cord once, off and running. I buy all my lawn and garden equipment there, I pay more than a BBS but I know him and you can't beat the location.

kungfustyle
03-18-2016, 09:51 PM
could be the gas. Lawnmowers don't like the ethanol. Turn the mower on its side and take the blub off. Should be a metal cup with a screw in holding it on. That screw has a very tiny hole through the side of the screw and from the top. Clean it out and put things back together and see if it starts up.

starmac
03-19-2016, 02:20 AM
Do you want to trade the last week or so worth of bad luck. lol

shoot-n-lead
03-19-2016, 03:26 AM
Get a Hustler...best money I have ever spent on a mower.

Taylor
03-19-2016, 06:50 AM
I have a Simplicity 5216,has a 19.5 opposed twin,started first turn of the key.Echo weedeater--first pull.Husqvarna blower--first pull.Maxim tiller......had to pull carb and clean it,then she started.

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Randy C
03-19-2016, 07:17 AM
The gas goes bad every year and plugs carb up I think the best thing to do is run carb dry or put in the right kind of fuel every winter.

KAF
03-19-2016, 08:23 AM
Use this and have had NO trouble, 87 octane gas one year old no problem sitting in generator, snowblower, mower etc: http://b3cfuel.com/products/ethanol-shield-fuel-stabilizer Higher the octane rating higher content of ethonol

Mica_Hiebert
03-19-2016, 08:36 AM
Get a motor from harbor freight with the 20% coupon. http://m.harborfreight.com/55-hp-173cc-ohv-vertical-shaft-gas-engine-carb-69731.html

OS OK
03-19-2016, 01:14 PM
Just mowed for the first time this year yesterday…will finnish up today…using a 'John Deer Zero turn' or some such name…6 acres of grass and she operates like a new mower and she is 3 years old this season…The best thing about it is the 'smell of that fresh cut grass!' It is wafting through the house as I write this post…can't you smell it?…Aaaaah!
When I was a young kid I'd sleep in on a Saturday morning listening to the mowers going in the neighborhood and smelling that fresh cut grass…some things just never grow old!

MT Gianni
03-19-2016, 01:18 PM
I hate to mow, our season is generally from the last of April to the middle of Sept. I don't think I could make it where you have to mow often. Few things get me as much as grass allergies. When I mowed with a push mower I had to lie down for 1-1 1/2 hours with a cold rag over my eyes to live after I was finished. The second generation allergy drugs help a lot but grass and it's pollen's will still put me down hard if I walk through a tall field.

Echo
03-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Hmmm - I remember mowing my lawn. But I've lived in Tucson for over 40 years, and no lawn, just desert...

daengmei
03-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Lots of good answers, though none about Sears. The first one was I was given credit for a new one because it was faulty somehow in the carb, it quit running while I was using it for the 3rd or 4th hour,(I don't recall now what they determined but it was not my fault). The second one I did run it dry and used what they recommend for gasoline (listed in the manual). I guess I should just have titled this "Sears XXXXX"

StolzerandSons
03-19-2016, 01:34 PM
My push mower starts every time, uses no oil, for that matter it doesn't use any gas either...
http://www.peoplepoweredmachines.com/mower_compare.htm
(http://www.peoplepoweredmachines.com/mower_compare.htm).
For bigger areas around the out buildings on the farm I have a MTD riding mower, I've had it for 6 years, I pull the battery every winter and add fuel stabilizer and I've had no problems with it starting in the spring. And of course the psatures get turned into 1000 pound round bales.

Mostly I bought the push mower for the excersize, pushing it around the house area is a prettty good work-out once a week in the spring and summer.

Lead Fred
03-19-2016, 02:09 PM
When I worked for John Deere I had me mum buy the last adjustable carbed mower we had.
26 years later nothing runs like a deere. Half a pull and it came a live after a winters nap.

All new mowers as of 1996 have no idle circuit in them. They test run them at the factory, the fuel is left in the carbs to varnish, then they dont start.

Unlike the old days where you drained everything come fall. Now you must leave the old fuel in, come spring remove it all, and replace with fresh. There is NO fuel preservative that will keep ethanol from demulsifying.

I keep them all full, come spring, I drain the fuel completely (dump it in your car or truck) and refill. Starts first pull every year.

Not bad luck bro, the gobermint interfering with our day to day lives is the problem.
They are backing the one world governance with carbon taxes.
Making dumb Americans think they are saving the planet by ridding us of fuel driven mowers

daengmei
03-19-2016, 03:34 PM
Glad I can work on them. By the way, do small engine repair folks make much money?:Bright idea:

Skunk1
03-19-2016, 07:01 PM
Have old mower I never do anything to. Use regular gas, don't use ethanol. I used old gas last year that smelled like varnish and not a hiccup. I don't buy ethanol for my cars either. Makes my 1993 car vapor lock and makes the 2003 truck overheat. Regular old 87/89 octane gas has never given me a problem. Wife probably uses it in her jeep but it's new, have to ask her.

xs11jack
03-19-2016, 11:51 PM
Couple of years ago I needed a mower and craftsman has a big sale so I bought one that had a Honda motor. Wow I thought this will be trouble free for a long time!!! Long time turned out to be one month, carb problems. I gave it back they fixed it they said, they lied, it lasted two months. They fixed it and it worked until fall and I got it out in the spring, dead. gave it back, and this time it has worked good so far. I don't trust it though. What is with Honda??? Supposed to great quality.
Ole Jack

popper
03-21-2016, 01:32 PM
All new mowers as of 1996 have no idle circuit in them incorrect. many are pinned or plugged so you can't easily adjust them. Guess I'm lucky, my ~10 yr old Honda just keeps on working without any maintenance. Doesn't idle well so I guess I should clean it.

osteodoc08
03-21-2016, 08:15 PM
My Honda push mower started up just fine. It's 4 years old. My 10 year old Cub Cadet fired right up and mowed just fine. Keep up with maintence, stabilize the fuel and should be minimal
to no issues.

birddog
03-21-2016, 08:26 PM
My local mechanic said that Stabil is his worst enemy, when we use it he doesn't have any work! Use it every year and all year long with no issues in spring after setting 5-6 months during winter.
Charlie

abunaitoo
03-21-2016, 11:32 PM
Stabli is great stuff.
Gas last a long time when I remember to use it.
I have an old Lawn Chief we got from True Value.
At the time, it was the lightest one we could find.
I have a hill to cut.
It needs a rebuild, stalls when the grass it to thick, but other than that it just keeps on cutting.
Friend gave me a cheap, no name mower. Really light, but the blade can't be lowered enough to cut as I like.
Had a few mowers I picked up on bulk trash day.
Fixed them up and sold them.
I noticed that the Craftsman with the EZ start B&S motors were the most reliable.
Also the easiest to repair. Mostly plugged carb.
They are really easy to start.

Iowa Fox
03-21-2016, 11:54 PM
Ethanol is the kiss of death. I have a hunch we will see the end of it.

Ehaver
03-24-2016, 12:37 AM
Well, you obviously know this now, but, craftsman mowers are ****. Years ago my mom wanted a new mower, so we went to sears and got the top of the line, electric start power wheels yada yada. I took her old mower for myself, and three years later it wouldn't hold more than half a tank of gas. leaked everywhere. Before I could work on it she went a bought another craftsman.

That old mower is over 15 years old now. Three pushes of the primer and it starts right up. Troy Bilt.

I used it to mow down shrubs once or twice. Still running.