PDA

View Full Version : Different colored American flag

buggybuilder
03-18-2016, 04:50 PM
A few blocks down the street from us is a house that is always displaying an American Flag. This one has NO red. The blue star panel is the same as usual, but it has no red stripes. Just blue and white ones. Can anyone tell me what this represents? I contacted a veteran from the local VFW a few weeks ago, but have not heard anything back.

dtknowles
03-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Probably a Democrat, Red State vs. Blue State, they got rid of the Red for Republican states.

Tim

JSnover
03-18-2016, 06:32 PM
Probably a Democrat, Red State vs. Blue State, they got rid of the Red for Republican states.

Tim
I'd believe it.

rl69
03-18-2016, 08:32 PM
I found one on google it says it for fallen police officers?

Hannibal
03-18-2016, 09:13 PM
That is NOT an American flag. Precisely WHAT it is, only the owner knows.

Outer Rondacker
03-18-2016, 09:51 PM
The thin blue line.

Hannibal
03-18-2016, 10:18 PM
Very likely. Still not an American flag. No axe to grind against law enforcement, just stating a fact.

Lagamor
03-18-2016, 10:31 PM
Could be a college sports fan. All blue for Duke, North Carolina maybe KC Royals. I wouldn't jump to conclusions about their political persuasion, that's kinda paranoid.

bedbugbilly
03-18-2016, 11:33 PM
rl69 has it. I did a search on flea bay and came up with this. I am only posting this link as an "informative" like to answer the question - I have nothing to do with any of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Police-Flags-Th-Blue-Line-American-Flag-3-By-5-Ft-Honoring-Law-Enforcement-/222029857104?hash=item33b202c150:g:oosAAOSwG-1WyQec

I am with Hannibal - I have the fullest respect for LE and the difficult job they do . .. but it is NOT an American flag. I'm guessing that somewhere along the line somebody got the "bright" idea of taking an American flag and changing it to fit a specific purpose . . . and then "market" it.

Not to get on a "soap box" . . . but it always amazes me the "disrespect" that so many show to Old Glory. Flea bay is a good example . . . some feel they need to use the flag as a "back drop" for want of a better word, and use it like a table covering to show their item they are selling. Maybe I'm just old, but we were brought up to respect the flag, never let it touch the ground nor use it for any purpose other than flying or displaying it. But then I come from a time where we had a flag in each classroom, started the day with the Pledge of Allegiance and a prayer afterwards . . . and that was in a public school. Not to mention standing with our hand over our heart when the National Anthem was played and uncovering when the flag went by . . . . those are things that I view as being "POLITICALLY CORRECT" and what every
American . . . or "American wannabes" (I won't use the term "illegals" as that would be "improper") should be learning and practicing if for nothing more than to show respect. But in today's world, I can almost hear our flag crying and saying what Rodney Dangerfield used to say . . . "I don't get no respect"!

HB0708
03-18-2016, 11:59 PM
Doesn't sound like the thin blue line flag is the one the OP is talking about. He said the star pannel was normal colors and the stripes were all blue and white.

Did a Google search and only found one post describing a similar flag and it was a democrat looking for it to show his support in the party. Lucky many people at least tried to set him/her straight about how disrespectful that was.

While I'm sure it's well intended, I'm not a huge fan of the thin blue line flag either. LEO's need our support, but there are better ways of giving it.

HB0708
03-19-2016, 12:04 AM
Link to the democrap inquiry if you're interested...

http://ask.metafilter.com/200961/Blue-only-US-flag

OS OK
03-19-2016, 02:44 PM
"Doesn't the red stand for the blood shed in establishing this Nation? If memory serves…the colors were significant in its design? I'm embarrassed in not remembering…they brain-bash you with these kind of facts when in Marine boot camp."

Powder Burn
03-19-2016, 03:18 PM
"The colors of the pales (the vertical stripes) are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valour, and Blue, the color of the Chief (the broad band above the stripes) signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice."

Der Gebirgsjager
03-19-2016, 05:04 PM
It is indeed a "police flag" to honor fallen officers.

TheDoctor
03-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Saw one outside our police chiefs house today. One of the blue stripes in the middle is more prominent than the rest. Never saw one till today, and never heard of one till I read about it here.

Powder Burn
03-20-2016, 09:35 AM

Lloyd Smale
03-21-2016, 07:10 AM
why don't you just walk down there and ask?

mtnman31
03-21-2016, 09:10 AM
For the OP, if they are just down the street from you, I'd suggest you go and ask them what it stands for. If they have it up they have it up because they want to make a statement. They shouldn't be offended is someone asks about it. If someone asks my neighbor about the flag on his garage he is more than happy to tell them all about his favorite college team or how so-and-so is the best driver NASCAR has ever seen. If it is a slight on Old Glory, it might be an opportunity for you to educate someone who thinks they are being trendy or cool. Or it could go the other way, and they might be able to provide you insight on whatever it is their flag may represent.

buggybuilder
03-21-2016, 05:04 PM
Why don't I wander down and ask?? Because its not particularly that end of the street I want to be in!!

blackthorn
03-21-2016, 06:29 PM
My country's flag has specific patterns/colors. Someone may make "a" flag with the same (or modified) pattern, using different colors and it is "a" flag, BUT it is not my country's flag! If they say it is, that is an insult!

iomskp
03-21-2016, 06:34 PM
Ditto

Lloyd Smale
03-22-2016, 07:52 AM
where in WI do you live where your afraid to walk down to the end of the street? Short of down town Milwaukee I cant imagine where it could be.
Why don't I wander down and ask?? Because its not particularly that end of the street I want to be in!!