PDA

View Full Version : Oh Danny Boy

StrawHat
03-17-2016, 06:30 AM
This is possibly my favorite rendition of the song. And the lad is truly stunned by the reaction of the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfkGocmCiE

Happy St Paddy's Day to All!

Kevin

Col4570
03-17-2016, 07:31 AM
Wow,that gave me the shivers.Depending on how his voice breaks I would say that that he has a great future,wonderfull.

SSGOldfart
03-17-2016, 10:12 AM
Yes Sir that young man has a gift
Well done

MrWolf
03-17-2016, 10:29 AM
Actually brought a tear. Thank you.

Clay M
03-17-2016, 10:41 AM
Beautiful melody. As a child I always wanted to be a guitarist.
It has taken many years to get there.
I love all the old melodies, and now play mostly jazz standards, like Misty ,and My Foolish Heart.
Music and shooting are my two favorite hobbies.

buckwheatpaul
03-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Strawhat, Thank You for the post....I had Danny Boy as a ringtone....when I changed phones I couldnt get it back and was unable to find it to repurchase it....Danny Boy is my favorite! Paul

Clay M
03-17-2016, 01:32 PM
Songlist for my April gig

1: Misty
2: Autumn Leaves
3:Begin the Beguine
4: My Foolish Heart
5:My Favorite Things
6:Satin Doll
7:Tears in Heaven (Clapton)
8:Michelle (The Beatles)
9:Man of The World (Peter Green)
10: Blue Bossa
11: Crazy
12. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
13.Somewhere Over the Rainbow
If people want an Encore I will do Sleepwalk.

I play a Les Paul or a 335 Gibson through a Fender Tweed Deluxe and a closed back 4X10 cabinet

Like Danny Boy , you can take away the words to any of those songs and they still stand on their own.

The beautiful thing about this gig is I get to play with an old Christian friend. He plays upright bass, and trumpet.
He is a fabulous musician. My wife is a real chord smith on guitar. Maybe we can do some old Miles Davis stuff.

Col4570
03-18-2016, 03:04 AM
Seeing No 2 on your list (Autumn Leaves),reminds me of Nat Coles version.His renditions never seem to age and would stand today.Another mellow one is (Stardust).
My late elder Brother who died last year could nock out a song or two,in fact he made money at it after retiring from his day job.We still have Tapes and Discs he made.One raunchy one he would sing was (Road to Hell).I would occasionally Roady for him to set up his Speakers etc.He always used Backing Discs and had quite a lot of equipment.Sorry for the nostalgia your list brought me back to those days.

StrawHat
03-19-2016, 06:32 AM
Oh Danny Boy was also my Pop's favorite song.

One year I was working a Farmers' Market and the daughter of the Market Manager played the violin. I suggested she play for the Market as we often had musicians. She giggled and nervously looked at her Mom. She was only 8 or 9 at the time but a couple of weeks later, she did indeed become a wandering musician at the FM. Unfortunately, I am the first vendor at the Market and away from the others so I did not hear her play. When she came back to the Market Managers stand she stopped and whispered something to her Mom. Then, she came over to my stand and serenaded me. She played Oh Danny Boy and memories came flooding back of my Pop and myself. I stopped sharpening and just listened to her with tears streaming down my face.

That is still one of the best memories I have of the Markets.

Kevin