PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the thread on honing out a Lee Push Through Sizer

Down South
05-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I’m looking for the post on how to hone out a Lee push through sizer. I have a 45-70 that slugs out to .4585” and my Lee sizer is .457”. I’d like to hone the sizer out to .460”

Scrounger
05-04-2008, 02:35 PM
http://www.castpics.net/memberarticles/Bullet%20Diameter%20Enlargement.htm

Down South
05-04-2008, 02:57 PM
That one is for beagling a mould. My Mould, a RCBS 405 FN GC is dropping boolits at .4605 or there about. I'd like to keep my boolits right at what the mould is dropping but I need the sizer opened up some. If it wasn't for needing to install the GC's I could probably shoot them as cast.
I could have sworn that I saw a post that had a couple procedures for honing out a Lee sizer.

On edit: I found it. Thanks though.

Scrounger
05-04-2008, 03:43 PM
oops!!!!

wiljen
05-04-2008, 03:56 PM
I've cut lee size dies by running bullets through them coated with high pressure grease and 220 grit silicon carbide. I usually just dip them in carbide with each pass. Once the first batch of 3 bullets doesn't touch (You can tell when it doesn't take any pressure to push them though anymore), I start over with three more and repeat the process. After 4 or 5 sets of bullets through the die, you probably want to pass a bullet through and measure it to see where you are size wise. I then do one set of bullets with 400 and 600 grit to finish the job. I recently cut a 308 to 314 using this method. It took between 2 and 3 hours total time to have a die the size I wanted. Good luck with it.

Down South
05-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Since that I have several grit sizes of grinding coumpound, that is the procedure that I will be using. Thanks for the info.

Buckshot
05-05-2008, 12:16 AM
..............Go to: http://www.castpics.net/ then click on: Research and Data, then click on: Honing a size die.

The article is written for a Lyman/RCBS/Saeco/Star die in mind. The Lee push through has a very narrow band in a tapered leade that is of the desired size. Whatever method you use to open it up, be CAREFULL. It is very easy to remove a couple thousandths REAL quick. If you decide to use abrasive paper I'd use 600 grit and dwell for just a couple seconds before pushing a slug through.

.................Buckshot

Down South
05-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks Buckshot, That is where I went. I know that the Lees sizer has less meat to it than most other sizers. I do plan on going slow and easy and checking often. I guess the good part about it is if I do screw it up I'm not out that much. I'll just order another and start over. Since I'm a mechanic and a shade tree machinist. I figure I'll get it right the first time. I wish that I had access to a lathe but I don’t.
I had already planned on doing about what was said in the procedures for honing out the sizer that I had read but was just wanting to double check to see what other folks had done.