PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Washington State.

shamgar
03-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Basic question for someone who live in the Seattle/NW Washington State area. Are there restrictions on the home manufacture of lead bullets? Use of Lead Ammunition for hunting, etc.
Thanks

5Shot
03-16-2016, 02:55 PM
None I am aware of, but in the City of Seattle, who knows. They have an EXTREMELY liberal mayor who has tried his best to bypass the State's Preemption Law.

Mica_Hiebert
03-16-2016, 03:51 PM
No state regulations on casting or hunting with cast bullets. They probably figure their horible hunting regulations are restrictive enough.

Greg S
03-16-2016, 04:52 PM
I just hope your not a trapper. No snares or footholds. Cages only.

Ranges (private) have wait lists for new members. Was looking at relocating to Everett last summer but the job fell through. Moved on and got a call from the same company 2 weeks later after I was back up here. Aparently the new guy didn't have the Skillz and re-offered the job. The employer was kinda Surprised I was already at work.

Moving to central WA next week to become a couh cough 'Farmer'. I just hope the yote busting is as good as my friend says it is.

54bore
03-16-2016, 04:56 PM
I put in 38 years of my life over there, i swear id rather die than be forced to go back there! I have friends that cast bullets and i havnt heard any of them speak of legality issues, but who knows with that place?

1989toddm
03-16-2016, 05:12 PM

Ranges (private) have wait lists for new members. Was looking at relocating to Everett last summer but the job fell through. Moved on and got a call from the same company 2 weeks later after I was back up here. Aparently the new guy didn't have the Skillz and re-offered the job. The employer was kinda Surprised I was already at work.

Moving to central WA next week to become a couh cough 'Farmer'. I just hope the yote busting is as good as my friend says it is.

Where in central?

Greg S
03-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Between Brewster and Bridgeport for now. Looking at another property just east of Coulie City.

Geezer in NH
03-16-2016, 06:40 PM
I would go East.

PS Paul
03-16-2016, 06:46 PM
The whole state is mostly conservative save for the Seattle cesspool. I'm 9 miles BY WATER from downtown Seattle, but it takes a ferry to get there.
there are worse places, but this state is a place where lots of commies from CA escape to in hopes of turning this place into the place from which they escaped! A common theme.

good hunting and GREAT fishing, the summers here are hard to beat.
I shoot at a nearby range that is not crowded on weekdays. Not too many fellow casters and a small cadre of reloaders means LOTS of free brass in common pistol calibers!!!!

hunting with cast is legal, but few do it outside of blackpowder deer season.

Catshooter
03-16-2016, 07:04 PM
I lived there for more than 45 years. A very liberal state, never met a tax they didn't love.

Not too long ago they passed an initiative outlawing private firearm transfers. Which seems to include me handing you my gun to look at. No thanks.

Cat

1989toddm
03-16-2016, 07:10 PM
I lived there for more than 45 years. A very liberal state, never met a tax they didn't love.

Not too long ago they passed an initiative outlawing private firearm transfers. Which seems to include me handing you my gun to look at. No thanks.

Cat

This did indeed pass but I don't know one person who abides by it. A bunch of sheriffs got together and publicly announced they would not enforce it.
Like has been said the whole state is conservative except for the Seattle/Tacoma area.

quilbilly
03-16-2016, 08:56 PM
None at all for shooting cast. Like PSPaul we have a moat between us and Seattle. Like 1989Todd much of the state is quite conservative except for the Seattle, Tacoma, and Everett area. Once you decipher the regulations, hunting is pretty good for any of the three species of deer, waterfowl, and bear (without dogs). Blackpowder seasons are quite good. Fishing is going downhill in a hurry, however now that the anti-sportfishing greenies rule the roost with the help of the commercial fishers. I have wholesaled and manufactured fishing tackle for 37 years in the PacNW and made the decision this winter that there are no longer any economically viable marine recreational fisheries in Puget Sound, Hood Canal, and soon the Straits of Juan de Fuca. If you want to catch steelhead, go to Oregon. If you like saltwater fishing, either go to Canada, Alaska, or, for the moment, Neah Bay while the Makah Indian Tribe continues to defy the anti-sportfishing state to keep sport fishing alive there.
Assuming you are a bass fisher (like me), you will find Washington State quite remarkable but you will have to learn new things about largemouth and smallmouth bass.
Feel free to send me a PM if you have other questions.

Lead Fred
03-16-2016, 09:29 PM
STAY OUT OF SEATTLE

They are so libtard all the guns stores left and moved into the county. Only place you can shoot legally in King Co are ranges.

No restrictions on reloading. Local on restrictions how much powder & primers you can store.

Put a pin on a map and draw a 100 mile circle on it, and stay outside the circle.

If your smuggling in holy black dont tell a soul. Carry 4 or less pounds at a time.

Buck Neck It
03-16-2016, 09:55 PM
Downtown Seattle, the underside of the I-5 bridges is a target-rich environment.

Catshooter
03-17-2016, 08:22 PM
This did indeed pass but I don't know one person who abides by it. A bunch of sheriffs got together and publicly announced they would not enforce it.

Except for the Washington State Arms Collectors Assn. They abide by it.

Sad really. I'm sure glad I got out of there.

Cat

Le Loup Solitaire
03-17-2016, 10:08 PM
I lived in the very eastern part of the state bordering with northern Idaho. Northeast of Spokane. Pretty much a forgotten land, sparsely populated, heavily forested and a lot of wilderness. Good hunting and fishing. No restrictions on casting, powder, primers etc. No one around to care. However the further west you go toward the coast-the worse it gets. Seattle megapolis...forget it. LLS

Mica_Hiebert
03-17-2016, 10:12 PM
Id rather be across the river in Idaho. Wa. saves my family $300 a month in taxes and supposedly more school funding for the little ones... maybe some day ill get to live there.

horsesoldier
03-17-2016, 10:41 PM
Good luck, I left central Washington and I will never move back

Muddi1
03-18-2016, 12:26 AM
I moved from the Puget Sound region two years ago after my parents drug me there some 30 years ago......NEVER AGAIN will I live on that side of the mountain. The farthest west I have been since moving to the Grand Coulee and now Coulee City area is Elensburg to pick up a buddy for a hunting trip when his truck broke down.

Only restriction I have over here on "The Dry Side" concerning lead is the work day that restricts my time from locating more.

quilbilly
03-18-2016, 12:40 PM
Now wait a minute! There is also the seriously wet side of Washington State we lovingly call our piece of paradise, The Olympic Peninsula. We have two moats between us and the barbarians in Seattle, Puget Sound and Hood Canal (a fiord). We are at the foot of some of the most beautiful mountains on the planet. The national forest is next door with plenty of lowland hunting on public land bicycling distance away. My neighbors share my shooting ranges and we keep an eye on things for each other. There are lots of deer and bear and our neighborhood is so quiet that on one spring morning I had to shoo a sleeping mountain lion away from my mailbox so I could get the morning newspaper. Not to forget - we have all the clams and crab we can eat when the tides are right bicycling distance away plus the bay is full of tasty ducks in the fall and finally five good bass lakes within 20 minutes to occupy my summer evenings.

5Shot
03-18-2016, 02:54 PM
I just got tired of rain...thank goodness it wasn't Seattle rain!

fatelk
03-19-2016, 02:10 AM
Hey Quilbilly, we'll be in your neck of the woods in a few days. I'll wave as we drive through town!

corbinace
03-19-2016, 03:24 AM
I have done some vacationing on the Peninsula, and as Quilbilly says, it is beautiful. So different from the "Coast" that you have to drive through to get there. Very rural and peaceful. Even logging still being done the last time I was there.

One thing though Quil, you need to keep it quiet, you don't want any of "that crowd" to discover your little paradise and have it changed to their hell.

quilbilly
03-19-2016, 03:10 PM
I have done some vacationing on the Peninsula, and as Quilbilly says, it is beautiful. So different from the "Coast" that you have to drive through to get there. Very rural and peaceful. Even logging still being done the last time I was there.

One thing though Quil, you need to keep it quiet, you don't want any of "that crowd" to discover your little paradise and have it changed to their hell.
I thought about that afterwards.

fatelk
03-19-2016, 04:37 PM
you need to keep it quiet, you don't want any of "that crowd" to discover your little paradise and have it changed to their hell.

According to my father-in-law that's already happening. He's a retired logger, living on the land he was born on eighty-some years ago, outside of Sequim.

shamgar
03-24-2016, 04:11 PM
Guys due to the poor health of and other family reasons I am going to move back to Island County, well north of Seattle. I am a son of the south. I have been accumulating wheel weight lead, are wheel weight available or does the state require it go through approved recycling sources?

ol skool
03-24-2016, 04:37 PM

I see what you're doing there... Seems to be the thing right now. Lots of CA folks moving into OR for the same reasons. Property prices have gone UP!

Greg S
03-24-2016, 05:20 PM
I see what you're doing there... Seems to be the thing right now. Lots of CA folks moving into OR for the same reasons. Property prices have gone UP-UP!

Yea, they really are messing up the NW to include ID and MT. So I take it your in Eugene? (Rainbows & Unicorns). Lived in Salem till 02 and came up here. Tired of living west of the mountains. Promised a friend a year of my time to help him expand since were are begining a recession up here. It appears the counties are starting to fight back the state and have voted in moritoriums to exclude any expansion of existing or new businesses.

ol skool
03-24-2016, 10:11 PM
Yea, they really are messing up the NW to include ID and MT. So I take it your in Eugene? (Rainbows & Unicorns). Lived in Salem till 02 and came up here. Tired of living west of the mountains. Promised a friend a year of my time to help him expand since were are begining a recession up here. It appears the counties are starting to fight back the state and have voted in moritoriums to exclude any expansion of existing or new businesses.

To stay on topic I think the PR of CA is the only lead banned utopia so far. You should be good in WA... until they want to introduce CA Condors so Enviros can justify to the gov't stomping on your God given rights.

Greg S: No, So. OR, not as bad as Eugene yet anyway... Good luck with your new venture. It is a business opportunity right now. If your friend keeps it that way he will survive the gyrations that are sure to come and emerge an old mossback in the end. This is a cash only business, if he IS a farmer he probably will be very successful.

quilbilly
03-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Guys due to the poor health of and other family reasons I am going to move back to Island County, well north of Seattle. I am a son of the south. I have been accumulating wheel weight lead, are wheel weight available or does the state require it go through approved recycling sources?
If you are on Whidbey Island, keep an eye out for me as I have several customers on the Island. The Ace Hardware in Oak Harbor has one of the most knowledgeable shooting departments around. I sell them fishing tackle and am usually there on Wednesdays.

justingrosche
04-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Guys due to the poor health of and other family reasons I am going to move back to Island County, well north of Seattle. I am a son of the south. I have been accumulating wheel weight lead, are wheel weight available or does the state require it go through approved recycling sources?Bring all the lead you can scrounge when you come. Washington has banned WW on cars in favor of zinc. Apparently no one ever mentioned being poisoned by zinc. Damn liberals. Lead opportunities seem to come in spurts, you can either find a lot of it or none. A diver could score big on the lost down rigger balls laying at the bottom of the Sound.

1989toddm
04-09-2016, 10:01 PM
Bring all the lead you can scrounge when you come. Washington has banned WW on cars in favor of zinc. Apparently no one ever mentioned being poisoned by zinc. Damn liberals. Lead opportunities seem to come in spurts, you can either find a lot of it or none. A diver could score big on the lost down rigger balls laying at the bottom of the Sound.

Ain't that the truth! Wonder how deep it is....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quilbilly
04-09-2016, 11:22 PM
Ain't that the truth! Wonder how deep it is....

Most down rigger balls are lost on ledges between 80 and 100 feet down. Keep an eye out for metal recycling centers. Most get quite a bit of roofing lead in the summer. Roofing lead is pretty pure if dirty so must be cleaned. I use roofing lead for jigs in my business as well as boolits. There is plenty out there around the Puget Sound metro Sound if you are patient but, no, I won't tell you which recycler I haunt.

Just Duke
04-24-2016, 03:44 PM
Now wait a minute! We have two moats between us and the barbarians in Seattle, Puget Sound and Hood Canal (a fiord).

aka. Hippies. lol

Just Duke
06-22-2016, 07:02 PM
How did the move go? I have to head back again myself. This will be time number 4

quilbilly
06-22-2016, 07:55 PM
How did the move go? I have to headed back again myself. This will be time number 4
You must be a glutton for punishment. 4!!!

Just Duke
06-22-2016, 08:13 PM
You must be a glutton for punishment. 4!!!

I can't find any place that don't have, chiggers, ticks, Botflies, Hurricanes, tornado's, thugs and border crossing thugs, Poison Ivy and variants, oppressive laws (police state), Alligators (ICK!) mosquito squadrons that swam in Biblical proportions etc......................

quilbilly
06-23-2016, 12:14 PM
At least we have the mosquito part covered.

trebor44
06-23-2016, 05:01 PM
The 'Birds of Prey Center' in Boise is involved in a study of the Snake River Canyon (ID, OR & WA) for its suitability for the introduction of the CA Condor! We have numerous areas that have been 'shutdown' to prevent 'disturbing' a variety of wildlife. But hey, its ok to build subdivisions on slipping slopes and fill in ephemeral stream beds, destroy winter range etc. to provide a piece of paradise for out of state folks.

Just Duke
06-23-2016, 06:22 PM
I'm not the best cook in the world so I have to ask if CA Condor tastes somewhat like Oregon Spotted Owl?

Freischütz
06-24-2016, 09:37 PM
In 2014 Washington's Governor purposed a capital gains tax. In 2015 the State's Treasurer proposed an income tax. Neither happened but they should be a warning if you are considering Washington.

root
06-25-2016, 04:55 AM
Like others I left ( 1991) Whatcom county king county areas.

Still have family there last visit to the state was 2004.
Great place to visit no place to live. I think even BIGFOOT left.

I'll stay right here in Pa for now, made that permanent choice in 2001

Rich

quilbilly
06-26-2016, 02:09 PM
In my local legislative district here on the Olympic Peninsula, one candidate for a seat (Democrat, of course) announced this week he favors an income tax "for the rich". The local newspaper in this heavily D district then did a poll that appeared this morning - results: 77% against an income tax of any kind with 18% for. Sadly, half of those against will still vote for the guy because he is a D.

Three44s
06-26-2016, 02:38 PM
Like my "location" .......... too close to Comunisim!

Three 44s

jiandawg
08-28-2016, 02:32 PM
Just curious if anyone has any info about the Whatcom county area. I drove up through the West coast of Washington a week or so ago and loved the place. Saw quite a few deer and there were wild edibles growing everywhere, and clamming, crabbing, and what looked to be decent ocean fishing (saw a bunch of flatfish), but every one that I talked to was a tourist and the LGS was closed because of the weekend. I did see a lot of Trump signs so I'm guessing the attitude towards firearms is good, but I was curious as to where one can go shoot. In Wyoming I can just go out on BLM land and shoot. No need for a gun range, I get the feeling that isn't the case in Washington. Am I wrong?

starmac
08-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Attitude towards firearms is good, I guess that would be a matter of opinion and weather you were talking to an anti or not.

Those Trump signs might just be because of their attitude towards in the last few years, but I highly doubt there will be enough of them to make a difference.

quilbilly
08-28-2016, 05:57 PM
Just curious if anyone has any info about the Whatcom county area. I drove up through the West coast of Washington a week or so ago and loved the place. Saw quite a few deer and there were wild edibles growing everywhere, and clamming, crabbing, and what looked to be decent ocean fishing (saw a bunch of flatfish), but every one that I talked to was a tourist and the LGS was closed because of the weekend. I did see a lot of Trump signs so I'm guessing the attitude towards firearms is good, but I was curious as to where one can go shoot. In Wyoming I can just go out on BLM land and shoot. No need for a gun range, I get the feeling that isn't the case in Washington. Am I wrong?
Whatcom County is a beautiful place just northeast of me across the water. You are right about lots of wild edibles and we haven't even started mushroom time yet (in a couple weeks). There are dozens of nearby lakes with free public boat launches to fish for trout, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, etc. etc. Forget saltwater fishing as well as river steelhead fishing these days in Washington State so you have to head to Canada. The Mt Baker/Snoqualmie Nat. Forest is also nearby with opportunities to shoot and the state has thousands of acres nearby although the state is making it tough on shooters. Shooting places out on public lands don't last long after a clearcut because the jungle (aka rainforest) takes them back every 3-4 years. Bellingham has some excellent sporting goods/LGS stores and Cabelas isn't that far. Lots of deer and a few elk available in the county as well as plenty of bear. The college in Bellingham is a hotbed of violent econazis's and marxists (not exactly a news flash). I have always used the airport in Bellingham to fly out if I have a choice over the Seattle airport. Bellingham's radio station (790 AM) is conservative and their rock station (92.9 FM) advertises for the local gun and outdoor stores (!!).
For the record - I define nearby as within 20 miles of downtown Bellingham.

jiandawg
08-28-2016, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the info so far.

I was talking to an older couple who were crabbing at Pacific beach and they were saying that there is always a season up there. Be it berries or crabbing or mushrooms, but is the fishing really that bad? When I was walking around the beach at Birch Bay i saw several sole/flounder trapped in the pools and I've read that surf perch are abundant. If I had the time I would have taken some fishing gear and gotten an out of state license for a day or two and tried my luck, but I only had 7 days off of work to do the 3200+ mile trip.

quilbilly
08-28-2016, 11:49 PM
Yes, it is that bad for saltwater and river fishing. In the inland waters that the state manages about all we have left is several species of flounder and and a couple species of perch. Offshore in federal waters things are better. If you want to get serious about saltwater fishing in Washington State for species other than perch or flounder, Neah Bay Makah Indian Reservation is where you go. Nowadays if you want to fish steelhead in rivers, The Quinault Indian Reservation is where you go. The anti-sportfishing activists have eliminated most saltwater and river opportunities except on Reservations plus we had two governors in a row virulently anti-sportfishing (hunters were too tough a nut to crack politically). It is a very long sordid story. I know the details because I have had a wholesale sport fishing tackle business here for 38 years and wrote for 25 years forseveral newspapers and magazines about hunting/fishing. The good news is that bass fishing on both sides of the mountains in this state is still great, duck hunting is excellent, crabbing is good, and deer hunting for all three species is pretty good at times. Next year's coho (silver) salmon return in August and September will be the biggest in decades so hopefully the sports anglers will be allowed to fish for them, not just commercial netters but we will find that out in March 2017.

ol skool
08-29-2016, 12:28 AM
I have to ask. Why would you leave Wyoming to move to Washington?

Is this it? Oregon is producing weed in unprecidented quantities. I mean it... is... in ev..er...y... bodies backyard!

Both OSP and WSP said they're not interested is policing weed interstate transfers any longer. A literally impossible enforcement task. The Columbia River is no boundery for dope.

The market will have something to say about dope prices and farming outlook in a couple months. Wait first. Check on prices per pound around October - November before you leave paradise for a pair of dice. If it's still ~$1500/lbs wholesale (last couple years average) for top shelf then you have something to think about.

Beef, even coal, muley's, pronghorn and an elk in the freezer might look much more interesting than a few crab, bottom fish and a blacktail by then. If you were talking SE AK, well... now that's fishing!

One other thing that you need to consider. The mental anquish of living in a irrational corrupt blue state. Trust me on this, it's worth money to live in a free country. The left coast ain't it.

jiandawg
08-29-2016, 01:22 AM
I know this might sound like sacrilege, but I haven't been interested in hunting in for probably 10 years or so now. I lived in Montana for 16 years and during that time I went out for pretty much everything that you could get a tag for. When I was a kid though, I lived in New Hampshire and there's just something about the ocean that I miss. Add to that fact I love seafood, I keep thinking I should just move to the ocean.

Also living in southern Wyoming, it's pretty much like a desert. I just miss being able to go out and find huckleberries, blackberries, wild strawberries and whatnot like I did in northern MT. And I haven't really had any luck fishing in this area. Most common fish I've caught since moving to Wyoming? Carp...

The other thing is, like Wyoming, there is no state income tax, just a 8.5% sales tax, which isn't too far off the 6% I currently have. I know that there has been talk of one possibly being implemented, but for right now...0.

And I am actually looking at AK, but there is currently a job that I can put a transfer to in WA.

jiandawg
08-29-2016, 01:24 AM
As for weed, if I wanted that, an hour and a half and I can be in CO and get an ounce legally.

ol skool
08-29-2016, 02:25 AM
From what I've read New Hampshire is a free country. One of the most free states in the USA. I've been pondering that for retirement. But that's not your question I know.

Washignton is cool, just like everywhere it's what you make of it that counts. My brother lives there. Loves the life style he can have. I honestly don't think he'll ever leave.

But, he grew up a hardcore union guy, voted left all his life. Yelled and screamed over and over at me about how great unions and Democrats were and the corporations and right wingers were messing up the country.

He's hardcore Libertarian now. I mean hardcore, despises his theiving union and his corrupt gov't. Washington state and his union taught him what the real meaning of greed was. He's a smart fellow. Who says you can't teach an old dog!

William Yanda
08-29-2016, 07:10 AM
Isn't NH being influenced by MA the way other states are being influences by escapees from California?

quilbilly
08-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Ol Skool pretty much has it right about his brother: "[COLOR=#333333]Washignton is cool, just like everywhere it's what you make of it that counts. My brother lives there. Loves the life style he can have. I honestly don't think he'll ever leave. "
The lifestyle is great and the weather is great (don't tell anybody). We have all the clams and crab we can eat with sackfuls of chanterelle and other mushrooms in the fall. Deer are all over to keep the freezer full. I have two shooting ranges in the yard and neighbors who enjoy them with us as well. Our trees keep us warm in the winter. Several good bass and trout lakes are within 15 minutes drive. The only competition for this lifestyle might be northern Nevada (imagine THAT contrast). "Ol Skool's" brother doesn't know the half of how corrupt and greedy our state government is, however, but all roses have thorns.

jiandawg
08-29-2016, 01:42 PM
I'll still try for the transfer, if I end up not liking life in WA then I only have to wait 2 years before being able to put in another transfer, but from everything I've heard and seen, Pacific coast Washington should suit me just fine. And the two year reprieve from snow and ice would be nice.

I did look at NH for a while but after speaking to an old college buddy that lives there, I just get the impression that cost of living is insane. Right now the states on my radar are the no income tax states.

thxmrgarand
08-29-2016, 03:59 PM
Last year a fellow who appeared to be informed about Washington was moving there and told me the state now combs obituaries and reminds estate executors that any transfer of a firearm has to have a background check (and I presume associated registration). Anyone who misses the ocean and likes to fish might investigate the part of Alaska called Southeast - basically Ketchikan to Yakutat and all the associated islands in the region. Lots of fish, lots of ocean. No sales or income tax although low oil prices have brought the debate so there could be new taxes in the future. Hunting is good and there is none of the Amazon-Microsoft socialist ideology. Free shipping here with Amazon Prime. State ferries allow avoiding the TSA. Concealed and open carry allowed without permit for anyone who can legally own or use a firearm. Alaska appears to be a very safe vote for Trump but we have but 3 electoral college votes.

jiandawg
08-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Speaking of Amazon, the downside to moving to WA will be that anything I order from Amazon will be subject to the sales tax.

I was actually looking at Skagway AK a year or two ago, but that area just seemed way too remote and I do not want to live by Anchorage.

quilbilly
08-29-2016, 10:25 PM
When you get here, look me up. In the early summer we will teach you to "hand crab" (unless you like doing it in the dark in winter in the rain during the winter crabbing season). You don't need no stinking boat to get all the crab you want. If you are up in the Bellingham area, the only challenge is timing the ferry from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend to get those super low tides unless you decide to spend the night in one of our shacks I built back in the woods for wounded veterans needing to get out of the VA hospital for a bit.

johnson1942
08-29-2016, 11:18 PM
as to a wahington state con. carry all you have to do is put down 60 dollars and fill out a form. easiest state to get one. went into a gun shop in spokane a couple of weeks ago and walked out with a savage 7mm, easiest buy i ever did. the east is very different than the west. except the olympic mountains, now that is really really nice. every state has good and bad parts.

quilbilly
08-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Thank you for exempting my neighborhood but if you ever want to visit a bizarre leftist town, Port Townsend is it but without the gang warfare. I had jury duty last year in PT and half the jury was rural and the other half from downtown PT. It was an amazing and enlightening experience on polarization.

1989toddm
09-08-2016, 03:45 PM
When you get here, look me up. In the early summer we will teach you to "hand crab" (unless you like doing it in the dark in winter in the rain during the winter crabbing season). You don't need no stinking boat to get all the crab you want. If you are up in the Bellingham area, the only challenge is timing the ferry from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend to get those super low tides unless you decide to spend the night in one of our shacks I built back in the woods for wounded veterans needing to get out of the VA hospital for a bit.

I should like to learn how to "hand crab", we rented a house for a few days on Whidbey this spring, and may again. Is a beautiful peaceful place! Coming from orchard country it was good to find good people at the farmers market.

starmac
09-09-2016, 01:25 AM
I do not know if you call it hand crabbing, but I was raised close to and spent a lot of time on the gulf, we crabbed a lot with a line and a piece of chicken or fish for bait. The crabs just hang on to it while you bring them up. Nothing to learn really.

When I was a kid, I camped a lot of weekends on the ship channel, anytime a ship comes by, it draws the water out a hundred feet or more depending on how shallow it was. We would just run around gathering the exposed crabs up before the water came back in.

quilbilly
09-10-2016, 10:08 PM
All hand crabbing is is wading the shallows with waders at the lowest tides and picking up the crabs that are legal sized. The bravest use their hands and grab Dungeness crabs by the back of the shell (rock crabs can reach your hands if you do that) then into the bucket. I used to do that but I feel much better now. Others use a four prong rake when out wading and very quickly lift the crab into the bucket. I don't heal as fast as I used to so I use a salmon net on a five foot handle when I wade in water about 2-3 feet deep during very low tides. In the winter at night, those crabs stand out like a bright red sore thumb when spotlighted since the water is gin clear. In the summer the water is murkier and the crabs have grass and kelp to hide in. For the record, it is not possible to do this on every beach and info on those beaches is closely held by those who do it (much like where to find edible mushrooms in the fall). I am sure you understand so gifts and flattery are sometimes in order.

Just Duke
09-11-2016, 03:49 AM
I have to ask. Why would you leave Wyoming to move to Washington?

Is this it? Oregon is producing weed in unprecidented quantities. I mean it... is... in ev..er...y... bodies backyard!

Both OSP and WSP said they're not interested is policing weed interstate transfers any longer. A literally impossible enforcement task. The Columbia River is no boundery for dope.

The market will have something to say about dope prices and farming outlook in a couple months. Wait first. Check on prices per pound around October - November before you leave paradise for a pair of dice. If it's still ~$1500/lbs wholesale (last couple years average) for top shelf then you have something to think about.

Beef, even coal, muley's, pronghorn and an elk in the freezer might look much more interesting than a few crab, bottom fish and a blacktail by then. If you were talking SE AK, well... now that's fishing!

One other thing that you need to consider. The mental anquish of living in a irrational corrupt blue state. Trust me on this, it's worth money to live in a free country. The left coast ain't it.

And they ask me why I hangout in Vegas..............................