PDA

View Full Version : Ground corn cob media for case cleaning

RU shooter
05-04-2008, 11:27 AM
A question to those of you that use the ground up corn cob as polishing media, What is the cosistancy of this ? coarser than Cream of wheat? The reason I ask is my father has 2 big 50lb. bags of ground corn cob that he had left over for use as blasting media( thats what is marked on the bags) for cleaning the logs in his house,its a fine grind about the same as cream of wheat . would this work as polishing media for brass? If so I will be listing some on the trader forum.
Also how would this work as filler in cases with cast bullets, Since Cream O wheat is often used for this too?

madcaster
05-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Should be just fine for tumbling only!

EDK
05-04-2008, 12:46 PM
They gave away a pallet load (un used) after a fire clean up job at work...I got 3 50 pound bags...gave away some to pals, etc. I've been using it in my elderly Thumblers Tumbler. No additives; pitch it when it gets dirty.

I don't think I'd use it as a filler...it might be a little too easy to ignite...just a SWAG (Scientific Wild A-- Guess.)

There's a company in Washington MO...Missouri Meerschaum...they make corn cob pipes. I think this is a by-product...look at the label on the bags for place of origin.

:cbpour::redneck:

mike in co
05-04-2008, 03:07 PM
go to grainger.com. in their abrasive/blasting section they list two corncob media's. the coarser of the two works better. (6yy32 and 6yy33..i think)
mike in co

both are small enough to not clog in flash holes...

DLCTEX
05-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I recently got new corn media and it was a finer grind than I had used. It does not stick in the flash holes, like the larger grind did. It seems to clean just as well. DALE