PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Kodiak .72 Double Rifle

drhall762
03-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Anyone shoot one of these? I am searching for bullets for it. I have a good supply of balls and they are easy to get but I can't find any bullets in the U.S.A. Track of the Wolf has Minie' up to .685 but there it ends.

Anyone know of any source? The only one I found was Tactical Quartermaster in South Africa.

Nobade
03-16-2016, 08:25 PM
NEI and Accurate molds both make moulds that will work. However, as someone who has owned and shot one of those rifles for the last 12 years, I would recommend against shooting bullets in it. The reasons :
1. recoil from the first shot tends to dislodge the bullet in the second barrel. Need to re-ram it before firing.
2. low velocity. It is hard enough to get a ball up to 1500 fps, to get a nice flat trajectory. Not going to happen with bullets.
3. Recoil. Lots of it. It kicks enough with balls and 6 drams of powder.
4. Accuracy. It shoots a lot better with balls.

I could go on, but you get the idea. With balls made from water dropped wheelweights, it has impressive penetration. With soft lead ones you get good expansion. Loads can be tailored to the need, it is a very fun and effective rifle!

-Nobade

Omnivore
03-17-2016, 07:22 PM
Those are interesting rifles, though I've never owned or even held one. I believe the 50 cal has fast twist barrels suitable for conicals while the 72 has a much longer, ball twist. Still, a .72 ball is a lot of lead.

Huvius
03-19-2016, 09:24 AM
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_99_311_312

I would suggest trying a couple different ball diameters and patch thicknesses if possible before buying a mold.
You will want a decently thick patch which carries enough lube with these big bores.

Sharpsman
03-19-2016, 11:31 AM
Sounds about as exciting as going to the Doc and getting the 'finger wave'!!

Omnivore
03-19-2016, 09:04 PM
Sharpsman; huh? This part of the forum is for people who like muzzleloaders and like to talk about them. Besides; double rifles are just plain fascinating.