PDA

View Full Version : New Pot Coming Soon

insanelupus
05-04-2008, 05:09 AM
I've been planning a new pot purchase. Finally Got'er dun! I called WAAGE this week and ordered their 25 pound pot. They were out of stock, they are making them this week and should ship at the end of the week.

With 400 pounds of wheel weights to sort and then melt into ingots, it'll be a while until I turn out bullets. I've got my dad's old slotted spoon and his ingot dipper, two RCBS ingot moulds and a large cake of bees wax. I'll get my casting table put together (a chunk of 3/4" plywood with a couple 2x6s, temp bolted to my saw horses) and put up outside and start gettin' after it before the month is over.

I'm getting excited. Can ya tell? Now I just need to but a few more sizer dies and top pounches for my old lyman and I'll be on my way to putting that 32 Special on paper before long!

Southern Son
05-04-2008, 05:36 AM
The Waage sounds good, you will have to post photos of it when it arrives, I have never seen one. I can't find anything on the web about their lead pots and I have never seen one in Oz.

cohutt
05-04-2008, 09:32 AM
The Waage sounds good, you will have to post photos of it when it arrives, I have never seen one. I can't find anything on the web about their lead pots and I have never seen one in Oz.

http://www.waage.com/soldpot.html

mooman76
05-04-2008, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't use a new pot for smelting. You will get it gunked up. Get an old cast iron pot from a thrift store. You can get a bigger than 25# on too and make smelting quicker!

EDK
05-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Go over to shilohrifle.com/forums and do a search on WAAGE pots. The black powder guys there love them. AND unless they had a price increase lately, the price is pretty good too. Bill Ferguson sells something similar.

:cbpour::redneck:

insanelupus
05-04-2008, 02:37 PM
mooman,

I have a cousin that has been casting wheel weights for over 50 years. We talked about the dirty pot from melting wws problem and he told me it was no problem at all. He said the only problem comes from not fluxing enough. Basically, what he said was that there will never be anything in the pot heavier than lead and as long as you flux, stir and dross properly, it shouldn't be a problem.

mooman76
05-04-2008, 04:03 PM
That's fine if that is the way you want to do it. I was just trying to make things a little easier on you! Happy melting or should I say smelting. I think you will find this a great hobby.

insanelupus
05-04-2008, 11:28 PM
mooman, I stand corrected and owe you an apology. What my cousin told me this afternoon was that it would work fine, but I'd have to clean the pot on occasion with a wire brush to clean up the "gunk". He too stated the cast iron pot idea. It may be a while now until I have the ww's smelted. My apologies mooman, I know you were trying to help. I'm still new to this lead thing! It'll be an education over jacketed boolits!

mooman76
05-04-2008, 11:39 PM
No need to apologies. We were all new to this one time or another. You can usually find a used cast iron pot at a thrift store or yard sale. I would try to get at least a 2 qt. The WW smelting will go pretty fast that way and certainly faster than your 25#er. An old coleman stove or turkey frier works great for this job. Hope you get going soon and do well. If not you could do just enough to get you started with your pot, maybe clean some of the WWs first to help keep your pot clean. This part is usually unnessissary that's why we get an old pot. Remember water and melted lead don't mix. Even a small dampness below the surface of melted lead will cause an explosion like you wouldn't believe.
Good luck.

insanelupus
05-06-2008, 02:32 AM
http://www.campchef.com/includes/image.php?image=dj60t.jpg&dir=/sites/campchef/images/products/&width=185&height=185

Just bought a Camp Chef Weekender. Bought it used for about half the price new. http://www.campchef.com/catalog/item/1/13/0/DJ60LW/63/Weekender++-++2+Burner+Tabletop+Stove.html

I reckon it'll provide enough heat to melt those wheel weights. Soon as I find a suitable pot (I've got an old stainless steel kettle that should work for the first time or two I think) I'll be "cookin with gas".

Think that set up will work for the smelting of the wheel weights?

montana_charlie
05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
If you have access to a store that sells graphite in an aerosol can, I suggest you spray the inside of any new (or cleaned) pot before using it (again). Much less of the 'gunk' stays inside, and more of it floats for removal.

Automotive supply stores (here) carry it.

The Waage 4757 bullet pot looks like the Electric Furnace Kit pictured here...http://www.theantimonyman.com/furnace.htm
CM