PDA

View Full Version : Berdan Primers

docone31
05-03-2008, 10:09 PM
I am not sure if this is appropriate. This is a bullet casting forum.
I am deluged with Berdan Primed brass! I have figuired out how to modify the Berdan Primed brass, and had it work.
Can someone make a fixture for me?
Berdan Primers are .216.
Boxer Primers are .214.
Being a jeweler, I used a #3 drill, .213, modified into an end mill. This removes the anvil. I use a #3 drill to make a starter hole, and finish with a #7 drill making a flash hole. I use a ball bearing to swage the pocket to .214.
It has worked for me so far. I have had no primers eject on firing.
Does someone, or can someone make a fixture that would incorporate a removeable #76 drill that doubles as an end mill. The fixture would need to incorporate a depth stop and be 1/4 shank. I use a Foredom handpiece.
All that needs to be done is level the anvil, and drill the flash hole. Making the outside of the mill acts as a safe edge and merely burnishes the walls.
Food for thought.
I would then want a "die" where the die acts as a solid stop inside the case, and a ram fits in the position a shell holder would. The end would need to be shaped like half a ball bearing.
In practice, the inside of the case would be against a solid ledge, over the flash hole, and the ram would act as a swage with controlled stroke limit.
I am unable to get Berdan Primers.

HeavyMetal
05-04-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm going to suggest you PM Buckshot.

He's the guru of the machinest's here on the site and many speak well of his work, more importantly no one speaks ill of his work.

A 100% satisfaction rate is a good thing to have anywhere!

docone31
05-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Wow, how did I manage to put a thumbs down on my reply?
There is nothing thumbs down to me on this thread.
How do I make that go away?

Sprue
05-04-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure at the moment if you can edit out the "thumbs down" icon or not, but you can give it a shot.

Scroll down below the text area, directly below this box. You will see more icons in the "Post Icons" below. Normally the "no icon" button is checked but you some how checked the thumbs down. So "edit" your post and try and re-select the "no icon" button to remove the Thumbs Down.:?:

ETA: Yes...it will let you change it or remove the icon all together.

docone31
05-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I got rid of the thumbs down. I do not know how that happened. I usually do not add anything to the message.
Heavy, I appreciate the lead. When I can, I will do that.
Thanks.