PDA

View Full Version : cleaning round after reloading??

wfsdno
05-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Okay, finished casting my .45acp boolits, lubed with Lee Bullet Lube and completed loading 5 rounds to test.

But, they looked dirty, sticky, just plain yucky with that lube. Gets on your fingers which gets on your brass. SO, I took a towel and cleaned them up.

Then went out to shoot. PERFECT! No feed problems, no eject problems, just a loud bang and a hole in the target!:Fire:

Anyone else do that? Is that okay to clean off the extra lube? I like my ammo to look nice.

Thanks! Roger

Round Details: Clays Powder, 3.5grs, Winchester primer, Winchester brass, W/W Lead bullet, 230 gr. from Lee Bulllet Mold TL452-230, Lee 4 Carbide Die Set.

leftiye
05-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Not being a smart @$$ - "if it works it works!" There may be some advantage to light lubing on the loaded boolit nose while feeding or engraving, but most cartridges don't have any.

38 Super Auto
05-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Okay, finished casting my .45acp boolits, lubed with Lee Bullet Lube and completed loading 5 rounds to test.

But, they looked dirty, sticky, just plain yucky with that lube. Gets on your fingers which gets on your brass. SO, I took a towel and cleaned them up.

Another option you have is to use a harder lube. There are a number of them out there. I started with Lee brownish lube, but have switched to Jake's hard lube. I am using a Lyman 450 and a Star - both have heaters. I have had good results with Jake's and his prices ar reasonable.

I like the ability of lubing mass quantities of bullets immediately after I cast them.

Cloudpeak
05-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I use LLA but don't clean the lube off the exposed part of the bullet. Life is just too short for that over thousands of rounds:-D

I generally cut the LLA with a bit of "low oder mineral spirits" which I think might make the lube dry a bit more. I let the bullets dry on wax paper for a few days & then store them. By the time I get around to loading them, they seem dry enough.

I played around with lubing with Johnson Paste Wax, heating the bullets a bit and putting a spoonful in the container and tumble lubing them. The JPW dries very nicely and I got some good groups in both 9mm and 45 ACP the also got some leading. I intend to play around a bit more with this when I get time.

Cloudpeak

wfsdno
05-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks, seems like lots of trouble cleaning but little things like that bug me (can you say OCD).

I'll try your suggestions, anything to make it easier and cleaner.

Roger

pumpguy
05-03-2008, 11:24 PM
I don't clean LLA off any boolits for my revolvers. I do for anything I shoot in an auto or lever. That lube can flake off and I don't want it jamming up the works in my autos and don't want a build up of it in my tube in the levers.

Three44s
05-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Did you allow your LLA'ed bullets to dry before you loaded them?

Three 44s

tall grass
05-04-2008, 12:26 AM
I've used mineral spirits or naptha on a rag and wiped the boolit off after reloading. Usually left just a little film of lube in case it needed it for feeding. Don't know if this is right or wrong but not as sticky.

I have went over to the Johnsons paste wax way of lubing.

Jim

shotstring
05-04-2008, 04:37 AM
I aways clean the lube off of my finished rounds using a "thumbler" type tumber rather than a vibrating one with torn pieces of newspaper in it. 5 or 10 minutes and your loaded rounds are looking like new with no damage to case or powder granules.

DLCTEX
05-04-2008, 02:46 PM
I've about quit using LLA due to the above noted problems. I find it much simpler to run them through the lubesizers with a little harder lube. I traded off my Lee micro groove molds, except one in 40 cal. which we are not loading for at present. I like Lar's lube, the red one, but have a lot of 50/50 to use up, but I'm melting it and adding carnuba wax to stiffen it. I have to add a little heat to get to flow properly until the weather is warmer. DALE

Tom Herman
05-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Hi Wfsdno,

It's OK to wipe the gunk off the outside of the boolit. It's supposed to be [I]inside[I] lubricated.
What you've done is what's SOP around my bench. In fact, i just got done casting sizing, lubing, and loading about 350 .45 LC's.
After I got done with the loading, I wiped the excess SPG off the cases and heads.
Now everything looks like it should!
Good Luck!

-Tom

Then went out to shoot. PERFECT! No feed problems, no eject problems, just a loud bang and a hole in the target!:Fire:

Anyone else do that? Is that okay to clean off the extra lube? I like my ammo to look nice.

Thanks! Roger

Round Details: Clays Powder, 3.5grs, Winchester primer, Winchester brass, W/W Lead bullet, 230 gr. from Lee Bulllet Mold TL452-230, Lee 4 Carbide Die Set.