PDA

View Full Version : Old Grey Lyman 450 Sizer 70's vintage

RDub
03-13-2016, 07:48 PM
Hello

Well my sizer is starting ooze lube out of the bottom of the pressure screw at the seal plug.
According to a parts diagram I have here, there is an O-ring associated with the seal plug. Is there anything special about this O-ring, and is this the only thing keeping lube inside the sizer?

I have O-ring kits at work of all sizes, so should one of those work?

What are your recommendations for fixing this problem?

Thanks!

Ed_Shot
03-13-2016, 09:42 PM
My gray 450 was bought in the late 60's. Over the years I have broke and replaced a couple of pressure screws. Could be wrong, but I don't recall any o-ring at the base of the pressure screw where the pressure screw fits thru the bottom plate or around the plug that holds the pressure screw at the bottom of the 450. I have always cut a gasket from heavy cardboard placed between the bottom of the 450 and my bench to preclude leaks from the bottom of the 450.

A couple of years ago I got a Lyman rebuild kit for the internals of my 450 that included a beefed-up pressure screw and new bottom plug with a new and improved plunger. Mine was leaking lube past the plunger. As I recall it was less than $20 and well worth it.

Mk42gunner
03-13-2016, 09:44 PM
I have not had one apart, but I doubt there is anything special about the O-rings. Match the size and diameter and you should be good to go.

Another way I have read of to stop the leak from the bottom of the unit is to mount it to a board with gasket material sandwiched between the casting and the board.

Robert

Slow typist syndrome strikes again. Actually, looking at the IPB on Lyman's website, it looks like the o-ring they show goes around the bottom plug, not the pressure screw.

R

C.F.Plinker
03-13-2016, 09:52 PM
I second the idea of just making a gasket. I just used a piece of cardboard from a cereal box. If that stops working I may upgrade to one made from the lid of a coffee can.

Ed_Shot
03-13-2016, 10:02 PM
Sorry, I stand corrected, I'm away from home, but after research there is a seal plug o-ring listed for the 450. Lyman part# 2990623 it is OD 1-1/16 and ID 15/16, thickness 1/16. Lowes or HD should have it. I'd still use a cardboard gasket under the 450.

BwBrown
03-13-2016, 10:07 PM
Mine leaked when brand new back around 1976 or so. I also cut a gasket. It has moved with me a half dozen times since, gasket and all.
It has always done everything it is supposed to do.
Never checked on an O ring.

RDub
03-13-2016, 11:50 PM
Thanks much.. Got more to go on that before.

Ed Shot, that part # and dimension is the same as I show on the parts list I found, so that should work.

In the meantime, I'll make a gasket... Thanks!

rbuck351
03-14-2016, 08:36 AM
Use a piece of old inner tube or some other thin rubber sheet and it will fix it for ever.

Ole Joe Clarke
03-14-2016, 07:27 PM
I just added a cork gasket to mine yesterday, and it didn't leak this morning when I sized and lubed some Lyman 358156 with gas check. I put the gasket between the 450 and a 1/4" thk piece of aluminum that I shaped for the bottom. It's worked for 40 years or so, it might outlast me.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

rwadley
03-15-2016, 03:15 PM
I use craft foam on the bottom of my Lyman 45.

dsh1106
03-19-2016, 05:16 PM
I just finished rebuilding my gray 450, I used a bronze oil-lite bushing in the casting and machined the ram to fit. I can now size without ruining even the longest 270 boolit. I also added a couple tapped holes in the bottom to hold the "pressure ring" in place, instead of the 15 or 20 prick-punch marks that where there. I replaced the standard o-ring with a square o-ring because the normal ones don't seal very well. I repainted the casting and re-blued the linkage.

I bought a bag of 100 square o-rings for $15, if anyone needs one, PM me.

dsh1106
03-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Here are a few pictures of the rebuilt 450....

Mitch
03-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Miy old one ooses some now and then I have found that is it is not setting square on the sureface it is on it will oose a bit.I fileled the parts all flay once and that was a mistake then it was out of square with the bore of the lube well and cocked the screw to one side.I have a home brew heater under it so I do not want to put a gasket on it.So now if I have a ooseing problem I just play with the mounting bolts and get it square again.The heater ia a 1 in thick aluminum plate with a $6 soldering iron for the heat and a router controller.I had most of the stuff on hand and got the aluminum was a scrap piece from work.i sopose with the right probe you could use a PID for temp control or a dimmer switch.The soldering iron is put in a hole drilled and a bit of an angle so the iron will not hit the table.the hole is just big enough so the sodering iron slips in snug.164498

I have a very old gray 450 I put the rebuild kit in it and the new handle kit.I am wondering if anyone elses old gray had a brass piston sleve and not O rings?I have 2 more orange 450s one has the square o rings are these to ones that lyman now sells.Or where do you get them and does anyone have a part number.

thanks Bob

dsh1106
03-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Mitch/Bob

I had the ooseing problem as well. When I set the casting to machine the bore, I also machined the bottom of the casting flat (had to use an epoxy leveler to fill the low spots), I then drilled and tapped three holes in the base to hold the pressure ring in place.

I'm not sure if Lyman sell the square o-rings or not, I bought package of 100 square o-rings from McMaster Carr, PM me if you need one.

My 450 has the double o-ring setup, my 45 has the brass piston.

Scott

gwpercle
03-25-2016, 07:32 PM
My 1972 era gray 450 has the brass piston sleeve , not sure when they changed to O-ring design.
After reading these posts and realizing mine was 43 years old, with not one part ever being replaced and the fact Lyman hasn't made 450's in years...I went to Lyman site and ordered every important part that could fail or usually requires replacement. Just about the time I need to replace something, I just know Lyman will no longer have them....happens every time.
Gary

Mitch
03-26-2016, 10:31 AM
My old gray is converted to o rings now seems to work much better than the brass.mine came from a long time caster a WWII Navy man.I am not sure if he is still with us or not.he had a big stash of lino when I first ment him 36 years ago and the lino has been shot up long ago.So this 450 have a lot of miles on it as do many out there.could be why they stimm make parts it took this long to wear them out.i will have to look but I think I pitched the brass piston.i keep enough stuff as it is.
One thing I have wanted to do it check the bore of the old gray compared to the newer orange ones to see if the bore on either is different.The last 450 I got was last weekend it is a nice on it has the new style handle and came with 2 nose punches and one sizeing die and lookt to have very little wear on it no wrenches tho all for 75 bucks I guess that ia why I could not pass on it lol.

49Reo
03-28-2016, 12:36 AM
My Lubrisizer is an OLD Lyman 45, Lyman orange, my Dad bought it used when he came home from Korea; he and his cousin cast a lot of bullets and ran them through that little unit. Still works good, no leaks yet......