PDA

View Full Version : Rare black Coyote on trail cam

trapper9260
03-13-2016, 05:28 AM
A women that I know, that I got one of my coydogs from.Sent me this she found on video and think I like to see it and was thinking someone on here like to see it also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKr7dqcIShM

Screwbolts
03-13-2016, 07:03 AM
What's a Coydog?

jonp
03-13-2016, 07:37 AM
Supposidly a coyote/dog cross breed. There is much argument as to whether or not it happens with most Biologists siding with the "not" camp. Melanistic animals are as rare as albino ones because neither is a positive adaptive trait for survival. The only true melanistic animal I've seen in the wild was a squirrel. Neat video.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-13-2016, 07:37 AM
Melanism, an all-black mutation, does exist in coyotes, although it isn't as common as it is in leopards etc. It is also possible that it is a coydog, or coyote-dog hybrid, although these are rare in the wild as dogs and coyotes don't much like each other.

trapper9260
03-13-2016, 07:49 AM
Here are the 2 coydogs I got .One is from the wild when I was trapping coyotes,he is the one that have the color of a Blue Heeler and the black one is the one I got from the lady I got the video from ,The one from the wild is over 14years old and the other one is over 2 years old.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-13-2016, 08:05 AM
Supposidly a coyote/dog cross breed. There is much argument as to whether or not it happens with most Biologists siding with the "not" camp. Melanistic animals are as rare as albino ones because neither is a positive adaptive trait for survival. The only true melanistic animal I've seen in the wild was a squirrel. Neat video.

I doubt if any biologists disbelieve in its happening in captivity, and the progeny, unlike mules, being fertile for more or less indefinite number of generations. It is hybridization in the wild that is sometimes doubted. But we don't know that the individual in the video was in the wild. It's on the internet! It has allegedly been proven that melanism in coyotes entered the species from dogs brought to North America by humans in pre-Columbian times.

Melanism and albinism being equally common probably isn't far wrong in referring to the animal kingdom as a whole, but not for individual species. Black panthers probably outnumber spotted ones in parts of southern India. But Jim Corbett filmed wild albino tigers from a range of feet, and melanistic tigers, if they exist are much rarer. Albino coyotes are far rarer than melanistic ones. Albino humans aren't that rare. I once visited a school for children with visual impairment, and saw a complete class of albinos, who are usually above average intelligence but suffer abnormal light sensitivity. If there were melanistic humans we would hear of people having to do a bit of fast talking.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-13-2016, 08:23 AM
I also know a friend who adopted an Arabian wild desert dog in Oman, and found her determined to be a model house dog in all respects. She lives in retirement in Spain now, totally normal except that my friend sometimes suspects that she looks at other dogs and thinks "I've got memories!" I don't believe she had wolf blood, but I was also the special friend of the pack that lived around our complex of buildings out in the Saudi desert, and I think they did.

I noticed something very interesting. The adults were extremely mannerly, taking pieces of outdated frankfurters gently from my hands and never fighting for them. They liked being talked to, just as much as the occasional donations. But the puppies would grab fingers and all, and fought among themselves. My interpretation was that after hundreds of generations in the wild, adult dogs need a social order and code of ethics but puppies need biomass.

jonp
03-13-2016, 09:23 AM
I doubt if any biologists disbelieve in its happening in captivity, and the progeny, unlike mules, being fertile for more or less indefinite number of generations. It is hybridization in the wild that is sometimes doubted. But we don't know that the individual in the video was in the wild. It's on the internet! It has allegedly been proven that melanism in coyotes entered the species from dogs brought to North America by humans in pre-Columbian times.

Melanism and albinism being equally common probably isn't far wrong in referring to the animal kingdom as a whole, but not for individual species. Black panthers probably outnumber spotted ones in parts of southern India. But Jim Corbett filmed wild albino tigers from a range of feet, and melanistic tigers, if they exist are much rarer. Albino coyotes are far rarer than melanistic ones. Albino humans aren't that rare. I once visited a school for children with visual impairment, and saw a complete class of albinos, who are usually above average intelligence but suffer abnormal light sensitivity. If there were melanistic humans we would hear of people having to do a bit of fast talking.

The wild is what I was talking about. I didn't put that in as I thought it would be clear that was what I was referring to. Thanks for pointing this out. Both melanism and albinism are un common not common for the reason I mentioned and are a genetic defect. Defects are taken care of in the wild. Albino humans are rare. I'm not sure what your standard is but they are indeed very rare, I've been all over the world and traveled the US extensively. I can't say I've ever met one.

trapper9260
03-13-2016, 12:32 PM
Back in many years ago back in the late 60's .In elamentry school ,I had went to school with a girl that was Albino.Yes she had pink eyes also.But I know they are rare.

quilbilly
03-13-2016, 12:40 PM
A couple years back a fellow brought a very light colored coy dog to our local muzzleloader rendezvous. He had gotten it as a pup on anPlains Indian reservation. Absolutely a beautiful dog and very friendly but was so high strung that when the shooting competition started, he had to take it home. We all felt sorry for the dog when the first gun went off.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-13-2016, 01:19 PM
Back in many years ago back in the late 60's .In elamentry school ,I had went to school with a girl that was Albino.Yes she had pink eyes also.But I know they are rare.

They vary. Some have pink eyes, and some just so dark you'd take them for black eyes or giant pupils. Because the skin is so delicate, many wear big hats, dark glasses etc.

In Saudi Arabia we had a very nice albino lady, the husband of a Canadian who was grossly incompetent and disinclined to do anything about it. I think the reason the Saudis didn't dump him as quickly as they badly needed to, was that they sympathized with her. She told some of us, once, the first time she met Jim her reaction was ''What a total ***hole!'' (My asterisks, honest!) Comparing notes afterwards, every one of us wanted to shout ''Trust your instincts, girl!''

Albinism and melanism are most often an adverse characteristic, but not always. Indian leopards hunt predominantly in darkness, so it isn't surprising that black panthers are at least as numerous as spotted. Albinism is extremely advantageous for white mice that are culled by the breeder if they turn out brown, so in the accelerated version of evolution an eighteen-month lifespan confers, albinism is bound to be pretty dependable. If those mice lived wild in owl country it would be just the reverse, and a melanstic polar-bear would really be up against it.

I would think most coyote breeding gets done in one to four years of life, so it is a lot of generations since a coyote could do wrong by running from the sound of gunfire, or could stick around out of curiosity without dying childless. I wonder if that has produced an inherited instinct, the opposite of the one we have inculcated in gundogs? Of course any instinct of a mere few centuries' duration is likely to produce aberrations, like a retriever that crunches hard or clears off with the loot, or a Doberman that loves night-time visitors.

bubba.50
03-13-2016, 03:32 PM
it is said that the eastern coyote has developed into a separate breed from inter-minglin' with dogs & wolves. I've read a couple scientific articles on the subject talkin' about the genetic make-up & showin' the differences in the skull/teeth. 'sposedly has somethin' to do with why they're not as afraid of humans & why people are bein' attacked by them. but I'm not a biologist so what do I know?

shooter93
03-13-2016, 06:23 PM
Coydogs I don't know about but coywolves I have seen.

MaryB
03-14-2016, 02:40 AM
coydogs are common around SW MN. And they have no fear and will take livestock down. Enough of a problem my county still pays a bounty on them.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-14-2016, 05:34 AM
Coydogs I don't know about but coywolves I have seen.

Coywolves are probably easier and commoner, but dogs and coyotes not breeding at all in the wild is a dissenting view among biologists. In any case there appears to be no doubt that the modern coyote has quite a bit of dog blood, possibly made up from a lot of 64ths and 128ths from deliberately bred coydogs which have found it easier to breed with the pure coyote population.

The OP got a black coydog with white on his chest from a woman who photographed a black coydog with white on his chest. We know it was a trail camera, but it would be interesting to know whether she actually said the animal was wild. Unless she had just started breeding them, there were domestic coydogs in the vicinity, just as willing and able to conduct misalliances as those the pre-Columbian Indians bred.

trapper9260
03-14-2016, 06:09 AM
Coywolves are probably easier and commoner, but dogs and coyotes not breeding at all in the wild is a dissenting view among biologists. In any case there appears to be no doubt that the modern coyote has quite a bit of dog blood, possibly made up from a lot of 64ths and 128ths from deliberately bred coydogs which have found it easier to breed with the pure coyote population.

The OP got a black coydog with white on his chest from a woman who photographed a black coydog with white on his chest. We know it was a trail camera, but it would be interesting to know whether she actually said the animal was wild. Unless she had just started breeding them, there were domestic coydogs in the vicinity, just as willing and able to conduct misalliances as those the pre-Columbian Indians bred.

The lady that sent me the video is not from NC or the USA, she is from BC ,Canada. Also She make it a life for the breed and also of wolves.She is also have her own feed line for dogs and other animals.I know she will not send me the video like that. Also in the past I have trap a black coyote in the wild.Like I trap other coyotes.I know she would not pull a stun on me because when I was looking for a puppy like you see ,she was the only real person for what I was looking for. I know you can not beleave every thing on the internet.Also on a site of trapping I am on, some that is in that part of the USA, say they are common in the wild.These are people that traps coyotes also.
As for dogs and coyotes dose not breed ,How come I got the other one that is a coydog also and he was from the wild and it was his brother that got caught in the trap.I lost him due to lung cancer he was 1 month short of 12 years old. They where caught not far from where I live now.Look at the white on there chest.that is the give away for what they are.So may I ask how can a coydog from Canada have the white on its chest like the one that is from the wild in Iowa?

Screwbolts
03-14-2016, 06:31 AM
And my post was in purple, even this thread is on the internet so everything has to be true! :-)

Hogtamer
03-14-2016, 06:34 AM
Gee, black coyotes are nothing special in this part of the world...

Screwbolts
03-14-2016, 06:39 AM
Black coyotes are also common here in CNY. I was poking at the "Coydog" term.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-14-2016, 07:33 AM
I have seen black cats with a sprinkling of white hairs in the centre of the chest in Europe, Kuwait and India, and I am sure the white patch on the chest of coydog is associated with the dog blood scientists claim to have established by DNA evidence in black coyotes. Certainly black is far from a rare colour to find in the wild, and the only real question is whether it is ancient or recent dog blood. Either seems possible.

A friend of mine used to raise both chickens and pheasants for shooting. The pheasant feeders had to be moved out into the woods, further and further from home, since it goes against the grain to shoot a bird that stands there and says "Where's my breakfast?" Some of the chickens took to going with them, and eventually the only way to put chicken on the menu (and uncommonly large and delicious they were) was to go out when they were roosting in the trees, and zap them with a .22. If your coydog's breeder has been running a feedline to which both dogs and other animals come, it is entirely possible that it has brought dogs and coyotes into contact under conditions of near-truce. Even her own dogs and coydogs may have been sneaking out and having a good time. Easy meals also reduce the handicap of a coyote unmarried mother having to raise a single-parent family, which is a major obstacle to first-cross breeding in the wild.

A favourite movie of mine is ''The Quest for Fire", which has no word of any known language and is about the only true to life prehistoric story I know of. It shows wolves hanging about the camp because they get thrown scraps - a relationship which turns bad, very bad, in times of trouble. It is now thought that they took to following the hunt as well, and learned that human intelligence, eyesight and height from the ground meant something in it for them, and presently the relationship didn't turn bad any more.