PDA

View Full Version : .22 ammo box collectors

abunaitoo
03-11-2016, 09:01 PM
Anyone else collect old .22 ammo boxes?????
I'm always looking for any I don't already have.
Being stuck on an island, we don't get as many different one as the lower 48.
I'm only looking for the boxes. Live ammo to expensive to ship to us.
Check you old stuff. Might have something I'll buy or trade for.
Back in the good old days, Sears, JC Pennys, and some box stores used to have ammo made for them.
There were also many companies who have since closed.
Back in the 90's Russian and Chinese was available.
To our friends out side of the USA.
I'd really like to see what you have.

tommag
03-12-2016, 12:12 AM
I always threw empties away. I used to shoot a lot of imperial and cil from Canada back in the late 60's. The empty boxes would probably be worth more than the ammo was back then. Iirc, about .25 to .35 a box.

merlin101
03-12-2016, 12:34 AM
I've been collecting them for about 25years. I've got some pretty oddball boxes like one from Bianchi cup match and one from the 1976(?) winter Olympics in Canada, I didn't go but found the box at a gunshow for $100. That was a LOT for me but I bet I could get 2 or 3 times that now. Those two are the only big dollar boxes I have.
Got loads of other everyday boxes and cans even Remington coffee mugs with Golden bullets. Since the .22 shortage started I've picked up quite a few old(er) boxes at the range that people decided to shoot up the old stuff and tossed the boxes. Just the other day I picked up 4 of the yellow Western Super X that had the old Lubaloy waxed 40 gr. lead bullet. I also found an old J.C. Higgins STA-CLEAN box from Sears Roebuck , I was real surprised to find that one. I picked up an empty brick or sleeve Mohawk too, it was a good day! ( I volunteer to empty the trash cans whenever I go to the range :)
I have a link or two I'll try to find and post for you, I'll also take a look thru what I have and see about sorting out some doubles. Are just interested in .22 or others too?

merlin101
03-12-2016, 12:37 AM
Here's one, i'll keep looking.
http://www.oldammo.com/index.htm

Got another, http://www.rtgammo.com/index.html

Looks like that's about all I got, I get most of my boxes either at shows or just pick them up Literally!

Kent Fowler
03-12-2016, 12:15 PM
These folks usually have excellent boxes
[URL="http://www.sportingcollectibles.com/"]

If I could find a Peters 22 Klay Bird or a Peters Wimbledon Match, I'd be a happy guy

rockrat
03-12-2016, 12:32 PM
heck, I have a brick of Mohawk still. That stuff shot better in my t/c than any other ammo I tried, even the Eley match stuff. Still have some of the Dominion/cil stuff I bought in college, from Otasco. Shot some yesterday. Wonder what the Western ammo is worth, by the brick.:bigsmyl2:

merlin101
03-12-2016, 01:40 PM
I don't even know what all I've got anymore, most of mine is still packed away from when I had to give up my gun room to use as a bedroom, what a waste! Can you imagine giving up a perfectly good space to use as a bedroom? And no, it was't cause the kicked me out.

abunaitoo
03-12-2016, 07:41 PM
I only collect 22 boxes.
All started when I found some old ones in the trash can.
Been hooked ever since.
I did buy a few. Most I paid for a box is around $5.
I'd much rather find them, or trade for them, than buy them.

I've been collecting them for about 25years. I've got some pretty oddball boxes like one from Bianchi cup match and one from the 1976(?) winter Olympics in Canada, I didn't go but found the box at a gunshow for $100. That was a LOT for me but I bet I could get 2 or 3 times that now. Those two are the only big dollar boxes I have.
Got loads of other everyday boxes and cans even Remington coffee mugs with Golden bullets. Since the .22 shortage started I've picked up quite a few old(er) boxes at the range that people decided to shoot up the old stuff and tossed the boxes. Just the other day I picked up 4 of the yellow Western Super X that had the old Lubaloy waxed 40 gr. lead bullet. I also found an old J.C. Higgins STA-CLEAN box from Sears Roebuck , I was real surprised to find that one. I picked up an empty brick or sleeve Mohawk too, it was a good day! ( I volunteer to empty the trash cans whenever I go to the range :)
I have a link or two I'll try to find and post for you, I'll also take a look thru what I have and see about sorting out some doubles. Are just interested in .22 or others too?

abunaitoo
03-12-2016, 07:46 PM
I have one box of Mohawk. I could use more.
Don't have any Dominion/cil. Never even heard of them.

heck, I have a brick of Mohawk still. That stuff shot better in my t/c than any other ammo I tried, even the Eley match stuff. Still have some of the Dominion/cil stuff I bought in college, from Otasco. Shot some yesterday. Wonder what the Western ammo is worth, by the brick.:bigsmyl2:

abunaitoo
03-12-2016, 07:50 PM
merlin101.
I did collect the different Hornady Zombie ammo boxes.
They just looked cool.

Kent Fowler
03-12-2016, 07:53 PM
I have one box of Mohawk. I could use more.
Don't have any Dominion/cil. Never even heard of them.

The Whiz Bang box in the picture is CIL, Canadian Industries Limited

rockrat
03-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Pulled out a box. My error, its Imperial by c.i.l. Headstamp of "D"

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/Bigdog337/Imperial22%20001_zpstqa9vo4b.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/Bigdog337/media/Imperial22%20001_zpstqa9vo4b.jpg.html)

jonp
03-12-2016, 09:03 PM
Funny enough that when I bought my old house in the wilds of the far North East the guy left a grenade on the counter. Freaked the real estate lady out and she ran out the door but I just picked it up and turned it over. Yup, cored. The guy also left a bunch of old 22 boxes full of bullets. I never thought they were worth money and gave some away. Some are at my hunting camp. who knew?

abunaitoo
03-12-2016, 10:38 PM
I don't have that one.

Pulled out a box. My error, its Imperial by c.i.l. Headstamp of "D"

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/Bigdog337/Imperial22%20001_zpstqa9vo4b.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/Bigdog337/media/Imperial22%20001_zpstqa9vo4b.jpg.html)

abunaitoo
03-12-2016, 10:51 PM
I have a Whiz Bang box.
Didn't know it's from Canada.
Wonder how it got all the way here.
Could use another, if you have extras.

The Whiz Bang box in the picture is CIL, Canadian Industries Limited

ColdBlueSteel
03-13-2016, 08:31 PM
Have 5 boxes of Mohawk in the gun room myself. Hadn't even thought about shooting it.

Mauser48
03-14-2016, 01:35 AM
I will post pics of what I have. I have gotten them all from friends or relatives.

abunaitoo
03-21-2016, 11:18 PM
At the Gunshow this weekend I bought a Brick of CIL Pistol Match .22 Ammo.