PDA

View Full Version : Newbie..or soon to be Newbie boolit maker

lablover
03-11-2016, 05:41 PM
OK, been reading a lot here kind of a lurker. I've been melting the lube off my 200 gr SWC .45 boolits and coating them with PC...Fun, but I want to make BOOLITS! Ordered a Lyman 2 cavity mold, 200 gr SWC and got a deal on a 10 lb Lee Production pot. Hey, gotta start someplace!

Now I need lead. I have done no scouring the country side (yet) for WW and any other lead I can get. I'd like to start with a clean batch of ready to melt lead for my first try. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Maybe bass pro fishing weights etc? Ebay? I'd like to put it in the pot, melt and cast a few. When I get the hang after a few hundred or so I will start the lead smelting hunting etc.

Read about lyman #2. Guess its all ready to go? Again, I have now read till I Bleed the lead section. Just having all the goodies and no lead has me Jonesing big time to make a few.

I guess I could melt a bunch of the production 200 grainers just to try???

Hope to learn a ton here. You all seem like a great bunch of folks

And yes, BTW have a order of PC on the way from smoke because the HF stuff is soso. I have to say thats pretty fun itself

Thanks All

Joe

s mac
03-11-2016, 05:53 PM
Roto Metal, a sponsor here, a banner at the top, can fix you up.

lablover
03-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Now I need to read up on what to order....Wooohooooooo

bangerjim
03-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Be VEEEEEEEEEEEERY careful what you get off evilbay. People will sell anything and can melt anything and say it is hard.

Best to get your lead and alloy from the goot people on here in S&S section. And Rotometals, a good sponsor.

Good luck in your new endeavor. You will have fun with PC!

bangerjim

lablover
03-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Yea, I've decided to stay away form Evilbay. Good points, they can say what they want s in there! Have to check out the SS section here..Have not made it that far yet...LOL

lablover
03-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Hey guys

Until I finish reading about lead...Hows this stuff for casting? Do I need to do anything to it? Seems like a good deal
Appreciate the help.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293387-F-S-Lead-92-5-Antimony-(SB)-7-5-Ingot-bars-(Start-shipping-12-10)

quilbilly
03-11-2016, 07:13 PM
If you have any metals recycling yards in your area, check them out to see if the have a lead bin. Sometimes they will have roofing lead which is usually very pure but dirty and occasionally you will see a real prize, sheet lead from the walls of doctors offices (called radiology lead), which has almost no dross. A sheet usually weighs about 70#. Roofing lead usually goes for about 40 cents per pound around here but I happily paid 80 cents a pound for my last sheets of radiology lead. If you run across a coffee can of birdshot, you can use it to harden your soft lead (about 1 tablespoon per pound of soft).

lablover
03-11-2016, 07:18 PM
If you have any metals recycling yards in your area, check them out to see if the have a lead bin. Sometimes they will have roofing lead which is usually very pure but dirty and occasionally you will see a real prize, sheet lead from the walls of doctors offices (called radiology lead), which has almost no dross. A sheet usually weighs about 70#. Roofing lead usually goes for about 40 cents per pound around here but I happily paid 80 cents a pound for my last sheets of radiology lead. If you run across a coffee can of birdshot, you can use it to harden your soft lead (about 1 tablespoon per pound of soft).

Good to know...Funny, I have a butt load of lead shot around here. Used to be a die hard Shotgunner so I have plenty of shot...

runfiverun
03-11-2016, 08:33 PM
that stuff you linked is on the too much antimony side of things it would be best served if cut in half with soft lead and some tin was added.

keep reading in the S&S section I seen some range scrap in there for about a buck a pound.
it usually comes in about 10 on the bhn scale and casts very well with a little tin added.
1% tin is about where I'm at usually at less is fine more is just more and really adds nothing to the mix unless the mold needs the extra little bit for better fill-out I don't add it.

lablover
03-11-2016, 08:48 PM
Thank you sir

that stuff you linked is on the too much antimony side of things it would be best served if cut in half with soft lead and some tin was added.

keep reading in the S&S section I seen some range scrap in there for about a buck a pound.
it usually comes in about 10 on the bhn scale and casts very well with a little tin added.
1% tin is about where I'm at usually at less is fine more is just more and really adds nothing to the mix unless the mold needs the extra little bit for better fill-out I don't add it.

lablover
03-12-2016, 09:05 AM
Pretty excited...Got some of this stuff

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?301535-FS-Lead-from-Wheel-Weights-Pickup-SE-Michigan
Picking up Sunday. Seems like a good start with minimal fuss. Maybe need to get a separate pot to flux it. and then cast some boolits

Thanks Adam

Joe