PDA

View Full Version : A note to Newbies (like me) about finding lead

Possum Lickaa
03-11-2016, 12:54 AM
Called my trusty tire shop today and asked if they minded if I stopped by around quitting time with a case of beer in exchange for a few buckets of WW. Manager said "No Problem". I have gotten weights from this place before. But this time was different. This was the second time I showed up bearing gifts. And the result was this...
- I left with three full buckets of weights, probably somewhere near 250+lbs. And without even asking the guy, he says, "If you come back in a couple of weeks, I'll have three or four more buckets ready for you".
The lesson here is obvious. If you have a "mom and pop" type tire shop in your area, they probably have loads of WW they don't mind parting with. It just may take the right kind of persuasion. I would Imaging a pizza on top pf that case of beer would get you enough lead to bottom-out your suspension. Especially if you show up just a little before quitting time!

RogerDat
03-11-2016, 01:16 AM
Most business is about relationships. Bag of donuts, pizza, box of cookies, or what have you goes a long way toward letting the other guy know you appreciate doing business with them. Respect for the fact they have a business to run by showing up at the end of the day or at a slow time also doesn't hurt. Polite and honest also goes a long way.

granville_it
03-11-2016, 02:36 AM
I find home made marmalade jam or preserves works.

I kid you not, whatever works, you meet some nice people as well.

Cheers Mark

bangerjim
03-11-2016, 11:52 AM
I hope your buckets are not zinkers and Fe weights. That is pretty much all that is around here anymore.

You can thank the owl-hugger and tree-kisser and condor-cuddlier environmentalists for that.

Possum Lickaa
03-11-2016, 12:47 PM
Oh.. there are zinc and steel weights in there for sure...but the bulk of them are good old-fashioned lead. Fortunately I enjoy sitting down with some music and a bucket full of WW, pliers in hand. It's like a treasure hunt.

Electric88
03-11-2016, 12:53 PM
You wouldn't be near Bowling Green Ohio would you?

granville_it
03-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Oh.. there are zinc and steel weights in there for sure...but the bulk of them are good old-fashioned lead. Fortunately I enjoy sitting down with some music and a bucket full of WW, pliers in hand. It's like a treasure hunt.

As long as you regard it as therapy and not work it's a good time spent.

Cheers Mark

jimb16
03-11-2016, 09:52 PM
I purchased mine then went back a few days later to purchase tires! I agree with possum. Get a good relationship going with your local supplier and it pays dividends.

Scharfschuetze
03-11-2016, 09:56 PM
Good on you with that great approach to getting WWs. It pays to be a gentleman.

I bet I've processed enough WWs to sink a fair sized boat over the years. I've been fortunate and have received it all for free from friends and garages. Back when small town newspapers were converting from Linotype printing machines to offset printing, I was also able to score a good deal of Linotype in the 35 pound bars that they used in the machines. Lately I've been able to score sail boat ballast lead in 90 (some of it pure Pb) pound blocks for... yes, free.

Keep your eyes open as it's out there. Not like it once was, but it's there. I've found that the COWWs these days require a percent or two of tin to fill out the mould well.

Some states have outlawed lead WWs and more will no doubt follow, so get 'em while you can.

Possum Lickaa
03-12-2016, 12:58 AM
You wouldn't be near Bowling Green Ohio would you?
Nope. Closer to Cleveland.

Possum Lickaa
03-12-2016, 01:24 AM
As long as you regard it as therapy and not work it's a good time spent.

Cheers Mark
Therapy for sure! I love this kind of stuff! My wife thinks I'm crazy...she's probably right.

trapper9260
03-12-2016, 07:35 AM
The place I go to have my truck work on. Had 6 5gal pail full with WW and I ask him about them and the guy told me they use them for skid loaders weight and will not let them go.I was going to pay for them also.But he need them for weights.

.455 Webley
03-12-2016, 09:36 AM
Don't be afraid to stop at places that look like they used to be tire shops. I have just on a whim visited places that from the highway looked like they did tires but in fact had converted to , foreign car performance shops, second hand stores, or a cigar shop in one case. More often then not when the tire shop moves out they don't take all the WW's with them. I have come up with a few buckets that way.

Shiloh
03-12-2016, 10:29 AM
It is nowhere as easy as it used to be. One of my sources said no more as they were contracted with someone.
When the contractor does
t come for a while?? I have been able to get small quantities.

Pizza is a good thank you. The manager drinks nothing but O'Douls now, so I get six pack to that as well.

Shiloh

lightman
03-12-2016, 12:42 PM
It sounds like you are onto a good thing. Its all about networking and luck. Being in the right place at the right time. Sometimes you can make that luck. Free or cheap lead is getting harder to find. I believe in getting it while you can.

Went2kck
03-12-2016, 12:54 PM
I drive a truck local in KCK. Was leaving from a delivery and found a tire iron. Well I picked it up and took it to the tire shop that I traded doughnuts for lead before. Said can I get some lead for the tire iron. He said yea lets see what I have. Well ended up with almost full 5 gallon bucket of lead and another bucket about 3/4 of trash and stuff. Figured it was a good deal. At least I was happy with it.

Loren

Blackwater
03-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Roger nailed it. Many go in with robber baron attitudes, and often find themselves hearing "we're saving these for a friend" or something on that order. Early in my casting, I used to get WW's and the folks were glad to have someone to haul them off back then, but this is a new day. It helps to do business with the folks you get them from, but whenever you ask, at least here in the south, it's good to be humble about it and respectful. The things some people will do now to get WW's is kind'a amazing to me.

The process doesn't take a Harvard MBA to complete well. Mostly, all it takes is just asking in a decent way, and persistence in your search. If that's too much "trouble," then there are commercial folks who'll deliver lead of any type right to your door, but for those of us who cast quite a bit, that gets rather spendy, so .... we just keep the search lights burning, and try not to assume too much. And it works.

OS OK
03-15-2016, 08:22 AM

"You certainly have the right attitude…'Refreshing & Enthusiastic'...I just left another thread somewhere and they were trying to figure a shortcut to use so the guy didn't have to get down and sort them all out. I found it rather revolting myself…all that 'treasure' and so little willing effort to work at…old-school!"

Welcome to the forum pard…it's a pleasure…OS OK

dudel
03-15-2016, 08:31 AM
OP has the right attitude. A win-win for all involved. My tire shop likes donuts!

Outer Rondacker
03-15-2016, 09:09 AM
Scrapping has killed any chance of getting old stash in my area. No work means guys find a buck where and how they can. We have summer houses with the pipes ripped out of the walls over winter. When I find lead people want 4 dollars a pound for it. That is not a typo.

I am glad you found a good line on lead. Looks like you have a good way of going about keeping them happy. Keep up the good work and they will be keeping a good eye out for you to come around.

HB0708
03-15-2016, 10:46 AM
$4/pound?! Wow, you can get it cheaper off ebay. Maybe you just found a way to make some money. :)

Outer Rondacker
03-15-2016, 11:41 AM
No one buys at that price. They just sit on it. Its mostly old timers telling stories about how days where and so on. The ones who do no do anything but visit. Everything they have is gold. I love old timers and well I am almost one myself.