PDA

View Full Version : Franklin Arsenal Drop Out

wv109323
03-10-2016, 11:15 PM
What are the opinions on Franklin Arsenal Bullet Mold Drop Out? I helped a friend get started in casting. The Drop Out was recommended to him by another person. We sprayed the mold down and the mold seemed to release the bullets as well as I have seen. The mold was a 6 cavity Lee 230 gn. Round Nose.
Just wondering what others think of the product.

reddog81
03-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Most people seem to hate it. Supposedly even the thin coat on the mold reduces the bullet diameter. I use it occasionally on molds if I'm having problems with bullets releasing.

I mainly use it on the sprue plate top and bottom. I use it on the top to keep the sprues from sticking and use it on the bottom to help reduce fiction and keep any lead from sticking if I accidentally cut the sprues too fast. I wouldn't consider it a necessary tool but it can come in handy. I find smoking the molds to work better, cheaper and easier.

LenH
03-11-2016, 09:45 AM
Don't bother with the stuff, I fell for it about 10 years ago. Nothing will mess up a mold worse than this stuff.

Bonz
03-11-2016, 09:53 AM
I use it all the time. I just spray a very light coat in the cavities and the bullets don't stick.

DerekP Houston
03-11-2016, 09:59 AM
I don't use anything in my cavities. Most fall out with a light tap while everything is getting hot then start dropping out right when my shoulder gets tired :D. I suppose it might be good for the HP pins, those do stick occasionally and are hard to get hot without a blowtorch.

sundog
03-11-2016, 10:01 AM
I use drop out rather sparingly, and only on steel/iron/mehanite moulds. Technique is start with clean mould, spray a q-tip, then swab cavities, leaving a slightly visible film. Pay attention to loob grooves and bases. I cannot discern any change is boolit diameter, but fill out and release is greatly improved. I do this only on moulds that need it. I NEVER spray drop out directly on a mould. Using this technique, drop out is an acceptable product.

Not all moulds are created equal. Even after working one over, sometimes it needs a little help, and sometimes this technique gets me where I want to be.

As far as I'm concerned, drop out is not a product to be used on aluminium nor brass.

Added: btw, NAPA has a spray graphite product also.

Moonie
03-18-2016, 11:03 PM
I've actually found a use for it, I use it on standard molds that I plan to powder coat the boolits from. The small reduction in diameter makes little difference as the powder coat more than makes up for it.

HangFireW8
03-19-2016, 04:50 PM
Whatever you do, don't just spray it on the mold. It will clog the vent lines.

It won't fix a burr and it won't fix a 181 degree cavity.

It will be a temporary fix for sticky burnt grease in the mold, but you'll have to keep re-applying just when you get a casting rhythm going and the boolits stick again.

gwpercle
03-19-2016, 05:08 PM
I've used it , if you clean the stuff off regularly , it is ok....don't let it build up. The built up layer of crud is what causes problems. If you spray it in lightly in the cavities, be sure to scrub the residue out.
I got tired of having to clean it off my moulds, but if you don't they get all cruddy with a built up layer of black crud . One day I spent a good deal of time with acetone , a tooth brush a bit of 0000 steel wool (on the mould exterior ) and got all my moulds cleaned of the stuff.

The best thing to use is nothing. But , If you are having problems bollit drop , instead of smoking , I prefer Liquid Wrench Dry Lube, applied with a Q-tip inside the boolit cavity (light coat ), this works better than smoking and doesn't leave any build up and is certainly better than the Frankford Mould Drop out spray. The Liquid Wrench Dry Lube is also great on the block top and both sides of the sprue plate, helps with galling and lead sticking. Light coat applied with a Q-Tip...the automotive store had both liquid and spray, liquir withy a Q-tip is easier to apply than a big spray you can't control . Best of all , it doesn't build up.
I think sundog might have the right idea about applying Drop out with a Q-Tip instead of spraying , the spray puts on too much, causing a quick build up and problems. A Q-Tip application may be just the ticket.
Gary