PDA

View Full Version : bullet sorting method

barnabus
03-10-2016, 10:09 PM
I would like yalls opinion on sorting bullets for benchrest competition shooting.Im currently pouring a custom 30BR Lino bullet that will be gas checked and lubed then swaged and pointed.my question is would you sort by weight BEFORE they are lubed/checked (lube & gas check weight varies and i cant control) or would you sort after swaging? currently im weighing BEFORE checked/lubed and never weigh again and shoot them grouped by weight. My bullets weigh 181.2-181.9 consistently straight from the mold.Your thoughts plz?

runfiverun
03-10-2016, 10:26 PM
visually, then weight.
many will say just shoot the visually sorted ones and go with it.

weight sorting lets you know they are good,[voids/too heavy] and let's you toss the outliers back.
after that they should easily be within 1% with the lube and check installed.
your gonna put as much effort into the cases and the rifle/scope combination you might as well spend the extra hour to make sure the bullets are good too.

454PB
03-10-2016, 10:53 PM
I'm curious how you swage linotype boolits. Hydraulic ram?

barnabus
03-10-2016, 11:34 PM
I'm curious how you swage linotype boolits. Hydraulic ram?

i use corbin press and dies with no problems.i start with a lbt bullet then its swaged down to a cyclinder then back up to a pointed and tapered bullet.

scottfire1957
03-10-2016, 11:47 PM
You weigh the final product. I don't shoot benchrest, but weighing anything before the final product doesn't make sense to me.

I've been wrong before though, as recently as today. I guess you could weigh every step of the process, but that seems awfully boring and time consumng. Otherwise, your assumng your lube and gas check weights are consistant enough for your needs, I.e. is all your lube, and are all your gas checks the weight they need to be?

barnabus
03-10-2016, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=scottfire1957;3574699]You weigh the final product. I don't shoot benchrest, but weighing anything before the final product doesn't make sense to me.

I've been wrong before though, as recently as today. I guess you could weigh every step of the process, but that seems awfully boring and time consumng. Otherwise, your assumng your lube and gas check weights are consistant enough for your needs, I.e. is all your lube, and are all your gas checks the weight they need to be?[/QUOT
E]

the gas checks do not weigh exactly the same as well as lube.thats the varying factor.

dverna
03-11-2016, 09:30 AM
I believe Larry Gibson actually shoots benchrest with cast competitively and he would be a good guy to ask. You will find him on the other cast forums. Larry can be opinionated but he has walked the walk.

Good luck!

runfiverun
03-11-2016, 03:21 PM
no he don't.

if your making a cylinder then a bullet I'd just buy a core swage mold and let that do the work of weight sorting and removing the voids for you.

shooter93
03-11-2016, 06:53 PM
Weighing before checked and lubed should be fine unless you're using some very strange gas checks and lubing method. The difference in weights of individual gas checks is so minimal you'd want a very good scale and lots of time.

Shiloh
03-11-2016, 11:23 PM
You weigh the final product. I don't shoot benchrest, but weighing anything before the final product doesn't make sense to me.

I've been wrong before though, as recently as today. I guess you could weigh every step of the process, but that seems awfully boring and time consumng. Otherwise, your assumng your lube and gas check weights are consistant enough for your needs, I.e. is all your lube, and are all your gas checks the weight they need to be?

The bench rest folks I knew weighed bullets and brass. Supposedly, there are those who weigh primers.
Bullets and brass were separated into lots by weight. I separated by weight into lots of <1%.
I just don't see well enough for peep sights to see a difference.

If it has a good fill, a good base, and weighs within a couple of grains on a 200 gr. rifle boo lit, it gets checked, loaded and fired.

Shiloh