PDA

View Full Version : Regulating a double rifle with cast bullets

JFE
03-09-2016, 02:52 AM
Anyone have a double rifle and managed to get it to regulate with cast bullets ?

From what I understand it's quite a process to get them to regulate with jacketed bullets, let alone with cast.

Care to share your experiences, good or bad.

I don't have a double yet, but its an itch that needs to be scratched at some point.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-09-2016, 06:43 AM
The weight of the bullet matters much more than the powder charge. If you increase the powder charge to increase recoil, the barrels do indeed move further apart right barrel to the right and left barrel to the left. But the bullet leaves the muzzle earlier in the process.

elk hunter
03-09-2016, 11:33 AM
The early doubles that used black powder and lead bullets are generally fairly easy to work with. A couple of years ago I ordered a bullet mold for my Chapuis 9.3 x 74 double but gave up on it because I couldn't make the gas checks for .375 bullets work on the .366 bullets. The .375 checks were recommended as apparently no one made 9.3 checks at that time. The ammunition wouldn't chamber because the case necks were too large when the cast bullets were seated. Some guys on the "Nitro Express" site have had some success with cast bullets in modern doubles. http://nitroexpress.com/

Tatume
03-09-2016, 01:10 PM
I have a 0.368" sizer die that has a nice taper going in and a recess at top that centers 0.375" gas checks. It sizes and crimps gas checks on bullets for my 9.3x74R rifle very nicely. I use a Lee universal flare die prior to seating bullets. Accuracy is fabulous!

Tatume
03-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure who made the die. I do recall that Veral Smith modified the die as described above. Veral also made the 270 grain LFN mold.

shooter93
03-09-2016, 07:41 PM
At times you can get them to regulate using one of the other leaves if the gun has a multiple leaf sight. I've shot and loaded for a lot of double rifles but not that many with cast. My own rifle...a pre war 450/400 3-1/4 inch has barrels a bit rough so it doesn't like cast too much. It really likes Woodleighs though. Right, left, right, left into 2-1/2 inches at 100 yds. Sometimes regulate one is a lot of work and other times you stumble on to a good load quickly. Finding the load quick is nice when it's a 600 nitro...lol....but it is fun finding a good load.