PDA

View Full Version : In need of a Hammer

1989toddm
03-08-2016, 10:06 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160308/e04c7b9b995aa3e1dcce05c66078274d.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160308/459239d475d4a0caf0e17639ea269aa5.jpg
This is my brother in laws pistol given to him from his dad with a broken hammer. The only name on it is Jukar and the numbers 061885. It's made in Spain, and was sold as a kit years ago. I'm looking for info on it and possibly a hammer if someone would have a spare one in their parts bin. Thanks and have a great day!

RhodeHunter
03-08-2016, 12:42 PM
Here is one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Powder-Muzzleloader-Small-Jukar-CVA-Percussion-Hammer-Bent-Spur-Unused-/201269679671?hash=item2edc9b9637:g:GEIAAOSwYGFUv7-n

1989toddm
03-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Here is one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Powder-Muzzleloader-Small-Jukar-CVA-Percussion-Hammer-Bent-Spur-Unused-/201269679671?hash=item2edc9b9637:g:GEIAAOSwYGFUv7-n

I saw that one, and wondered if it would fit. They must be somewhat universal or interchangeable?

waksupi
03-08-2016, 12:59 PM
I would contact Dixie Gun Works.

WRideout
03-08-2016, 01:49 PM
Actually those Jukar repros from Spain seem to have been sold by the boatload. I have a Jukar Derringer that looks like a miniature of the one in the picture. I should think that parts would be interchangable. At least, it did not look like there was much hand-fitting on the kit I built.

Wayne

Lead Fred
03-08-2016, 01:51 PM
You can ship your lock to Dixie, and they can find one that matches.

1989toddm
03-08-2016, 01:58 PM
You can ship your lock to Dixie, and they can find one that matches.

I would contact Dixie Gun Works.

I called them, and talked to Jamie. He did not offer anything of the sort and said they had nothing to help me with.

RhodeHunter
03-08-2016, 05:09 PM
I just bought an entire lock like yours on ebay. It was just like yours. However, the link I posted was to a "bent spur" hammer, for use with a scope. He says he has one with straight spur also; I would check that out.

1989toddm
03-08-2016, 05:23 PM
I just bought an entire lock like yours on ebay. It was just like yours. However, the link I posted was to a "bent spur" hammer, for use with a scope. He says he has one with straight spur also; I would check that out.

Thanks, I will send him a message for that.

koger
03-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Todd just went thru my junk, don't have anything or would send it to you free buddy!

bedbugbilly
03-08-2016, 10:35 PM
Todd - Measure the "throw" of the hammer. i.e. measure from the center of the screw hole in the tumbler that the hammer is mounted on to the center of the cup - you'll need to know that to tell if another one will fit or not.

1989toddm
03-08-2016, 10:36 PM
Todd just went thru my junk, don't have anything or would send it to you free buddy!

I thought of you brother, and figured you would see it here.

reivertom
03-09-2016, 12:03 AM
Those hammers weren't as common as some others Jukar/CVA, etc... used, but I have seen these type for sale before. They were "fancier" and were used on a couple different pistol locks. The throw on this hammer might be shorter than the one in the Ebay ad somebody posted. You might have to buy a whole lock instead of just a hammer, but they don't usually go for a big price. I think CVA called this their "Colonial Pistol" even though if it were "colonial" it would have been a flintlock.

1989toddm
03-09-2016, 12:26 AM
Todd - Measure the "throw" of the hammer. i.e. measure from the center of the screw hole in the tumbler that the hammer is mounted on to the center of the cup - you'll need to know that to tell if another one will fit or not.

The throw is exactly 1" center of screw to center of cup. Thanks!

dondiego
03-09-2016, 12:14 PM
I have that exact same pistol. It was the first kit I ever assembled. It has the hammer and a steel ramrod. My measurement from the center of the hammer screw to the center of the cup is 1.5 inches. I am calling the "cup" the portion of the hammer that strikes the cap.

1989toddm
03-09-2016, 01:32 PM
I have that exact same pistol. It was the first kit I ever assembled. It has the hammer and a steel ramrod. My measurement from the center of the hammer screw to the center of the cup is 1.5 inches. I am calling the "cup" the portion of the hammer that strikes the cap.

That is the same two points I measured from. Except I measured to the nipple since my hammer is broken.

dondiego
03-09-2016, 01:51 PM
I would contact CVA and see what they say and maybe even Traditions.

RhodeHunter
03-09-2016, 02:35 PM
The picture shows the original lock, which had a broken sear spring. The lock I got from ebay which fits my gun exactly was advertised as a CVA KA713 Tower pistol lock. I just measure during my lunch and the original lock has a throw of 1-5/16".

Replacement:

RhodeHunter
03-09-2016, 03:00 PM
1989toddm, does the hammer screw come off like other screws, lefty-loosey?

1989toddm
03-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Yes it is right hand threads. Lefty-loosely righty-tighty. Thanks for the pics, I'll hold out for the right one. I'm wondering how I measured wrong, I measured it 3 times.

gnoahhh
03-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Huh. I got a complete one of those in a box of junk I bought at an auction recently. Had I known someone would be needing a part off of it, I wouldn't have thrown it away...

1989toddm
03-10-2016, 01:04 AM
Huh. I got a complete one of those in a box of junk I bought at an auction recently. Had I known someone would be needing a part off of it, I wouldn't have thrown it away...

THREW IT AWAY??? [emoji79][emoji16]

koger
03-10-2016, 01:40 AM
Todd, if all else fails, you can send the whole thing to me, and I will make one from scratch!

dondiego
03-10-2016, 12:11 PM

What Forrest Gump says about that.

RhodeHunter
03-11-2016, 09:27 AM
What about this entire lock:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201421864935?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The cup face on my original hammer is bit worn, but it still made the rifle go boom. If you want to talk trade, private message me to see if we can work something out. I can send you a picture of the worn area. Then I would have to make sure that I can get the hammer off my lock. Another alternative is a good quality percussion lock that may cost around $100, but you would have to do some fitting for the new shape of your new lock plate. Or hire it out. The costs would start to really add up.

1989toddm
03-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Got a trade in progress with Rhodehunter. Thanks guys for all the input!

Ballistics in Scotland
03-11-2016, 05:08 PM
Hammer throw is the critical measurement, and I would have been surprised if it had really been 1in. That would be a rather tiny pistol, with a trigger guard for tiny fingers.

The Spanish arms trade is complex, and my guess is that Jukar was just a middleman who bought from a lot of small firms, and probably changed from one to another. There is no guarantee that a spare from one Jukar pistol would do for another, from the point of view of throw or size of the tumbler square.

You can find plenty of hammers on www.trackofthewolf.com (http://www.trackofthewolf.com) . Don't be put off by the absence of a hammers section in "Gun parts". They are under "Locks: percussion", where parts with hammer throw specified can be found for most of them, by clicking on the item number for the lock. You might have to work on the tumbler square hole with a square file, or on the tumbler square, for which a diamond hone is better. But they don't look smaller than yours.

Then there is https://www.peterdyson.co.uk/ , which is in the UK but serves overseas orders well. Many years ago I found someone in America a Calisher and Terry carbine hammer from them. It is a confusing website, as you get to the hammers through "Castings", and then you get to each page by clicking on a link on the last. They have never been out of stock for me on anything shown. But you do have to drill and file the tumbler square hole.

I think the odds are that the screwhole in the tumbler square is a modern metric thread Like National or the British system there are coarse and fine for each size, the coarse giving the optimum strength, but the fine a little more resistance to vibrating loose. So the fine would be marginally better for the makers to have used... Well, now we have brought logic to the problem.

Most hammers are soft, or at most case-hardened, in mild steel. You can adjust an ogee-curved hammer's throw quite a bit if it is soft, or a little if it is case-hardened. Reducing the throw is self-explanatory, but I think you could increase it a little when you have a tumbler square hole. Just wind as many turns of Kevlar cord as you can in two skeins, as tight as you can make them. Both go around immobile objects, and one through the hole and the other under the hammer's chin. Stick a metal rod through one skein and twist it shorter and tighter.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-12-2016, 08:54 AM
Here, strictly speaking, is how hammer throw should be measured, at right angles from a straight line running forward from the centre of the striking surface. But axis of rotation to the top of the nipple should be good enough.

dondiego
03-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Based on this, he needs 1.5 inches of hammer throw for that pistol.

1989toddm
03-12-2016, 09:41 AM
Based on this, he needs 1.5 inches of hammer throw for that pistol.

Yes, I remeasured and thats what I came up with also.