PDA

View Full Version : C-H Auto Champoin MK IV

Mk42gunner
10-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Anybody ever use one of these? I have one that I acquired somewhere in my travels. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to replace the missing parts, (primer feeder and internal powder measure parts mostly).
This is the press with four stations inline, the cases are automatically indexed from left to right.
I looked at the CH4D website, but couldn't find any parts for this press listed.

Thanks,

Robert

Swagerman
10-18-2005, 11:31 PM
This press is a good press for normal reloading functions. I've had mine for about 12 years. It even had the manual auto prime system which I dispensed with because I didn't like loading the blasted tubes.

It never had a powder dispenser until I mounted a Dillon 450 manual one on it. This works real well, and I only used it because it was some extra stuff in my stash of reloading equipment.

I used it for sizing bullets with the Lee sizer die and Hopper setup, as well as depriming and priming brass cases.

Also invented a primer catcher that rises and falls with the shellholder and lowers the spent primers into cup on the press's base. The catcher comes in contact with the roller linkage roundness and trips the primer catcher open and drops the primer into the cup automatically.

Swagerman

Bret4207
10-19-2005, 06:58 AM
I'd email or call CH. From what I've heard they're very responsive and may have some old parts or sources.

fecmech
10-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Mk42--I have an Auto Champ III and have been running it for about 30 years now. I think the Mark IV has the primer feed on the back and thats the only difference from mine( much nicer as it gets the tube out of the way of your fingers while seating bullets). I'm pretty sure CH has all the parts, if you call on the afternoon shift there is a guy there who was on Auto Champs from the beginning and knows them inside and out. He's pretty talkative and hard to get off the phone but a nice helpful guy. The main quirks with the press are setting up the primer feed which is a little touchy but not the end of the world. The other is powder "wash out" when the cases advance. If you load .38 wadcutter or .45 target loads not much of a problem but anything like a 9mm or .357 with a 3/4 full case of powder you learn to put your finger on top of the case(with the powder in it) while it advances. What happens is the pawl that advances the case slides back under it when done and flips the rim of the case when it pops back up. If you can't get a manual from CH I can copy pages from mine if you need them for set up etc. Nick

PS..If you decide not to fix it up let me know as I would be interested in buying it.

Mk42gunner
10-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks,
I'll try to call them tomorrow, supposed to be rainy all day.

LAH
11-16-2005, 04:02 PM
I loaded with one for a year or so. It was a loaner press set up for 45 ACP. It worked fine. This one had the primer set up in front. I called to order a few parts and was well served.

PA Bullets
12-11-2005, 12:30 AM
This press is a good press for normal reloading functions. I've had mine for about 12 years. It even had the manual auto prime system which I dispensed with because I didn't like loading the blasted tubes.

It never had a powder dispenser until I mounted a Dillon 450 manual one on it. This works real well, and I only used it because it was some extra stuff in my stash of reloading equipment.

I used it for sizing bullets with the Lee sizer die and Hopper setup, as well as depriming and priming brass cases.

Also invented a primer catcher that rises and falls with the shellholder and lowers the spent primers into cup on the press's base. The catcher comes in contact with the roller linkage roundness and trips the primer catcher open and drops the primer into the cup automatically.

Swagerman

Like your Press there (swagerman <-- do you Swage with that press ?

Swagerman
12-11-2005, 12:37 PM
I made a big mistake, (not the first time) on the model C-H press in question, sorry. My pictured press is a different model.

As to do I swage with it, the answer is no. This model does not have the caming linkage ram that is suitable for swaging. But if you go to the C-H Champion model you'll have a 1-1/4 inch diameter ram pistion and a linkage system that is super strong swage worthy.

Swagerman

PA Bullets
12-11-2005, 12:46 PM
I made a big mistake, (not the first time) on the model C-H press in question, sorry. My pictured press is a different model.

As to do I swage with it, the answer is no. This model does not have the caming linkage ram that is suitable for swaging. But if you go to the C-H Champion model you'll have a 1-1/4 inch diameter ram pistion and a linkage system that is super strong swage worthy.

Swagerman

Yes i know .. :grin: I have been to Dave Davisons web site a few times

So your using single stage dies or have you bought some of the two stage dies for swaging on a reloading press.. What bullet diameter do you swage for ? and i kinda feel funny about asking this but ... How long have you been swaging bullet's ... Just wondering is all i have been at it since Sept 1964
And i thought maybe you could shoot the ..Ya well you know what i mean .
Its always nice to be able to share some tips and tricks .

Martin
Owner/PA Bullet's

Swagerman
12-11-2005, 11:52 PM
How long have I been swaging? As an old phart I can't remember much past than last week...but think I've been doing it the last 3 or 4 years...maybe longer, just can't remember too well.

But you go back to 1964 sort of has me beat...they should call you Swagerman :D

It seems to be a dying technique among reloaders but I like to keep busy doing it, somthing to do during our long cold winters and no shooting.

All my presses are old equipment, Herters presses and one modern Lee Classic which I made into a swaging setup.

Jim

PA Bullets
12-12-2005, 04:44 AM
How long have I been swaging? As an old phart I can't remember much past than last week...but think I've been doing it the last 3 or 4 years...maybe longer, just can't remember too well.

But you go back to 1964 sort of has me beat...they should call you Swagerman :D

It seems to be a dying technique among reloaders but I like to keep busy doing it, somthing to do during our long cold winters and no shooting.

All my presses are old equipment, Herters presses and one modern Lee Classic which I made into a swaging setup.

Jim

Jim do you have any pictures of your set up or how you have your press's
mounted my bench lay out is kind of cluttered

http://www.marlinowners.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_Swage%20bench%20side%20-2.jpg
http://www.marlinowners.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_Swage%20bench%20side%20-1.jpg
On the left side and at the end i have my Multi Swage mounted
http://www.marlinowners.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_Multi%20swage%20on%20bench.jpg
http://www.bulletsmiths.info/gallery/albums/userpics/Messy%20Bench%20PA%20Bullet%20s.jpg
http://www.bulletsmiths.info/gallery/albums/userpics/Order%20s%20going%20out%20from%20PA%20Bullet%20s.j pg
http://www.bulletsmiths.info/gallery/albums/userpics/Swage%20bench%20more%20shoot%20s.jpg
And my Hydra Swage you have seen

Well thats about it save my other room next door and its kinda a junk catch all room

Martin
Owner/PA Bullet's

Swagerman
12-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Showing Herter's 'O' Maximum with bullet ejector apparatus, and a Herter's No.3 with same.

The a red Lee Classic with bullet ejector attached...

Jim