PDA

View Full Version : NOE sizer question

abunaitoo
03-07-2016, 02:50 AM
I decided to order an NOE sizer.
I have a bunch of Lee sizers, but the NOE will save me from customizing the Lee die to what I need.
Question I have is for those who nose size with the NOE.
What is the difference between the body size bushing and the nose size bushing?????

jimofaz
03-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Go here to see the NOE instruction manual. http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,1245.0.html

Main physical difference between the body size bushing and the nose size bushing is the nose sizing bushing is a bit shorter. Both body & nose sizing is best done 'nose first' in my experience, but one set these up for base first body sizing if desired. Body sizing is a complete pass-thru affair just like the Lee sizer dies, while nose sizing only pushes the bullet up into the bushing as far as needed to allow easy chambering. There is a hand ejector punch coming down from the top that pushes the nose-sized boolit back out the bottom of the die. It takes NOE/RCBS/Lyman non-threaded shank-style nose punches that are held in by a small socket head set screw.

abunaitoo
03-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Thanks
haven't gotten it yet. Should be this week sometime.
I did look at the instructions. It didn't go into enough detail for me.
Probably be clearer when I have the tool in hand.
Could I use the body bushing to size the nose????

jimofaz
03-08-2016, 05:16 PM
I have no idea if you could I use the body bushing to size the nose. Your best answer will likely come from Al Nelson at N.O.E.

abunaitoo
03-09-2016, 08:23 PM
I got it yesterday, and tried it today.
It needed some work, but it did work well.
I was sizing the nose only using the body bushing.
First the tweeking it needed.
The nose punch I used didn't fit the Hand punch or ram holder. NOE nose punch from a mold I got from them.
I opened up both holes with some sandpaper wrapped on a dowel, and all is good.
Next I started to size the nose.
I found it was a trial and error to find the correct amount of push up I needed to just size the nose.
Not a problem with the tool. It's just the way it's designed.
I did lube the nose with Imperial, but still had to tap it out with my rawhide hammer.
I found the nose size was still to big. Need to order a smaller bushing.
I'm going to try and seat the boolet deeper. If I do that, the gascheck would be below the neck.
I wanted to be sure the check would not fall off.
I used the base first setup to size the gascheck to the base better.
I pushed it up just until the gascheck was sized and used a Lee sizing punch to push the boolet back out.
Worked great.
One thing I would suggest is to make the nose size top punch holder longer to be able to push the bushing out.
Reason for this is that while tapping the boolet down through the bushing, the only thing holding the bushing in is the set screw.
It formed a burr from the set screw and the bushing was hard to remove.
I going to try to make something to go between the bushing and press so that the bushing would have more support when being pushed down.
Needs a little work for what I need, but it looks like a good tool.

popper
03-10-2016, 09:30 PM
Got mine today. Tried to nose size some - die has a sharp entry so piles up a nice sharp edge and pounding out makes it a wad cutter. Alloy is aged COWW, PC'd. Tried sizing 308 for BO, HiTek coated. 50% rejects till I lubed with veggy oil. Coating < 0.001 thick. Same problem when doing GC for 308, sized 310. Tried base first sizing without the nose punch, soft alloy can't take it. GCing would be worse. I am NOT blaming the sizer!! I do suggest Al make a larger dia. General purpose ( glue fill by us) nose punch for base first sizing. And taper entry for the nose sizing die. Quality is excellent.

Rio
03-16-2016, 07:42 PM
I bought one of these and can only seem to stick bullets, am I doing something wrong?

Blammer
03-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Rio, dare I ask where you are sticking them? :D

seriously, what operation are you doing and how are they sticking? got any pictures?

Chris C
03-18-2016, 05:33 PM
I bought one of these and can only seem to stick bullets, am I doing something wrong?

Not sure I understand what you mean by "sticking" them. You do realize you are supposed to keep putting bullets through the sizer and eventually one will come out the top each time you put one in the bottom, don't you? Then when you finish, you need to take a wooden dowel and punch the last one through...............at least that's how I do it.