PDA

View Full Version : Best way to sell gun collection

birdadly
03-06-2016, 08:13 PM
Hello all. A good buddy of mine is in charge of selling his grand-father's gun collection and we don't know the best way to do so. I'm familiar with using GunBroker, and I know i see them FS here, so forums perhaps, although we don't really frequent any but here. I'm guessing he could get a table at a local Gun Show and sell there? Other options?

From pictures I've seen, it's not huge, but still a lot of work for him. I'd say maybe 12 revolvers/pistols, and a good 12 rifles/shotguns. By the looks some are quite common while a few may be fairly unique, so he is in the process of researching. Not that he would HAVE to get rid of it with the firearms, but he does have a few boxes of ammo for each gun as well.

He's just a guy, no FFL or business or anything like that. His grandfather has already given out certain guns to certain family members, and this is the leftovers. So would any of you have advice on how he should approach this?

Thanks in advance! -Brad

NavyVet1959
03-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Sell them on Armslist.com?

In my family, the tradition is for the guns to stay in the family and not be resold by the recipient.

country gent
03-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Talk to some of the local auction houses or auctioneers. It may be the easiest and best money overall to have an auction to sell them. AN Auction house can put several estates collections together drawing a big crowd. Guns shows can move the collection but may take several or more shows to move it all. Never delt with internet firearms sites so cant comment there. But most auctions here firearms bring almost new to sometimes slightly better money.

georgerkahn
03-06-2016, 08:39 PM
You have a real challenge! I had a similar situation a decade or so ago, and it was complicated a tad by my wishing purchase of two of late friend's collection. After quite a bit of thought, we spent an afternoon driving to three different FFL dealers, to hear what THEY could offer. One wanted absolutely nothing to do with it! The second said he'd be happy to take them on consignment; all we had to do was provide him with a MINIMUM owner would take for each. (we never went to 3rd) In very short order -- maybe two months? -- all were sold 'cept one S&W stainless revolver. Maybe we were lucky? Seller was happy; I was happy because I was able to purchase one of the two I wanted (sometimes it stinks to not be rich :)!); and the dealer surely made out well. My friend put a price on a Mauser .22 semi- which seemed a bit on the low-side to me -- this was the first gun to go, at 3 1/2 times more than the price dealer was told to take.
Just a thought or two for you. Sadly, it seems our government makes it tougher and tougher to sell firearms; in New York it's almost an impossibility to do anything without going through an FFL dealer -- perhaps (I hope, for you) your state of residence is a better place.
geo

enfield
03-06-2016, 09:07 PM
I have got an RRSP also ( Rifle Retirement Savings Plan ) It would be nice to Know how to sell them all at the last minute just before you kick off .

bedbugbilly
03-06-2016, 09:34 PM
I had a collection to dispose of a few years ago that I had accumulated over the past 50 + years. I kept those that had sentimental value but the rest? It was time for them to go . . . and my main reasoning was that my wife and I are now retired and if something happened to me, she'd have no idea of what they were or what they were worth let alone how to go about disposing of them without getting taken advantage. I was in Michigan so I contacted "On Taget" - a large gun store in Kalamazoo who also sells on Gun Broker. Over time, I took them over and they listed them for me. I had the right to put a reserve on what I wanted to but I found it a very convenient way to get the job done. They photographed them, they listed them, they did the FFL work if needed and they shipped them. I was happy, they were happy so it all worked out well. You're friend is going to pay a sales commission whether he does it similar to what I did or if he has an auctioneer do it. He might look on GB and see if there is a dealer nearby that sells on GB and go talk with them about it and see what they have to say - talking doesn't cost anything and he'd at least know about that option. It is a lot of work, not only the FFL end of it if needed but the packing, shipping, etc. as well. It's nice when that job is left to someone else.

funnyjim014
03-06-2016, 10:03 PM
The 12 or so long guns could be sold fairly quick and i would have your friend figgure what he wants, ( advise him to use out thedoor pricing and not full blown retail ) take the list to your shooting buds and pass the word around. Take the hand gun's and whats left and post in s&s anduse what ever dealer you want. Wate another week and unload on GB with no reserve.

376Steyr
03-06-2016, 10:22 PM
I'm another vote for going to an FFL dealer and selling them on consignment. The FFL gets to handle all the security, paperwork, and regulations. A bigger shop should be able to absorb two dozen guns at once. This also keeps you clear of gunshow characters who'll want to swap you for an American Eagle Luger, Hermman Georings' personal P-38, or Col. Custer's Winchester 1892.

birdadly
03-07-2016, 12:06 AM
Thanks so much for the thoughts and especially personal experiences. I have a feeling he'd like someone else to handle as much as possible within reason of how much it would cost him. I sent him a link to this thread and we'll chat about options soon. I didn't ask if he had a time frame of needing to sell, but I think consignment sounds like a winner.

Thanks again, and thanks in advance for future replies. -Brad

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-07-2016, 12:20 AM
while 24 guns isn't enough for a Auction, unless you find an auctioneer that does guns regularly and the guns are added to another persons guns. I had an auction last April, 59 guns and two tables of ammo and two tables of misc sporting goods. The auction was a weeknight evening, it lasted about 2.5 hours. You will end up with about 75% of there value $$$ in your pocket and have had to do almost no work.

Gunshow, if you haven't done a few gunshows for fun or for serious business...you'll soon learn that selling a collection of 24 guns, trying to get near top value, will be alot of work. They'll go quick if you price them at 50% to 75% of value, but still be plenty of work...and with no paperwork, there is a slight risk in our political climate ...but it is legal, so far.

FFL consignment, If you have a FFL near you who is willing to do so, and they are honest, probably the best way to go.

That's my 2¢

jcwit
03-07-2016, 01:31 AM
IMO go the auction route. You only need two bidders that want the same item and they usually bid it way past what you're going to get at a gun show or a dealer.

I've watched beat up Mauser's sell for over $800 to$1,000 bucks just because two guys wanted the same rifle, and they couldn't stop bidding against each other.

Shepherd2
03-07-2016, 08:16 AM
I vote for an auction also. Not too long ago we decided to downsize and had a farm and household auction. I put up a quantity of firearms in the auction that I didn't really want to keep any longer. I was very pleased with the results. I wasn't disappoint with the price any gun sold for and probably 1/3 sold for more than I paid them. The best part was that when the auction was over the auction company handled the paperwork and collected the money. No headaches for us and in a few days we had our money less the auctions commission.

Several auction companies in this area have firearm auctions usually selling several hundred guns at a time. Your friend could consign the guns to one of these. He would certainly get more than dealers would offer him even after the commission and it would all be over with in one day.

winchester85
03-07-2016, 09:47 AM
That is not a lot of guns. A guy could easily take photos and list them all on gunbroker in an afternoon. I think a seller will get more money in his pocket by going the Gunbroker route. Consignment will certainly be easier, but what happens if they don't sell? If they don't sell, you have to do a background check and a 4473 to get them back, at least in Colorado anyway. I know people who have consigned a gun or two, they ended up getting far less in their pocket.

jcwit
03-07-2016, 10:17 AM
And buys on Gunbroker will factor in the extra costs for NICCs check, and auction around here usually has a dealer on boark doing NICCS checks for a small amount Just a thought.

Also remember the buyer on Gunbroker factors in the cost of shipping, an auction does not restrict a buyer on that, plus there is without a doubt the factor of actually holding in ones hand and actually seey what one is buying.

Why do you think a car salesman always wants you to do a test drive?

Wis. Tom
03-07-2016, 10:33 AM
I don't know where your at in Wis., but I watch bid@wisconsinsurplus.com out of Mt Horeb, for alot of things, including their gun auctions. They seem to get good bidding on all their stuff. Phone number is 608-437-2001, might at least, be a place to start. Blessings.

Duckiller
03-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Trying to sell 24 guns may get you or your friend a nasty note from the ATF suggesting that you need an FFL to sell that many guns in a short period of time. Using an auction or dealer that has an FFL keeps the Feds and everyone else happy. Not sure of WI laws but sell 24 guns and the ATF is going to view you as someone who is a dealer without a licence, someone they don't like.

merlin101
03-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Trying to sell 24 guns may get you or your friend a nasty note from the ATF suggesting that you need an FFL to sell that many guns in a short period of time. Using an auction or dealer that has an FFL keeps the Feds and everyone else happy. Not sure of WI laws but sell 24 guns and the ATF is going to view you as someone who is a dealer without a licence, someone they don't like.
I'm sure this has been addresses in other threads and it is completely legal to dispose of a collection without an FFL (for now)
I'd do the online sale (G/B or other site) or the local gun shop consignment, but before that I'd make a list with a decent price for seller and buyer and post in the clubhouse at my club.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-07-2016, 04:55 PM
snip...

but before that I'd make a list with a decent price for seller and buyer and post in the clubhouse at my club.
So true, Local folks you know...Best way to sell.
In my area, the local radio station has an hour long show, called "The swap shop". You fill out a card or send an email, and that whole hour they read the ads. Years ago, one fellow's ad was, Antique Military rifles for sale, due to health reasons, and listed a phone number. That was all the ad said. when I got there after work, there was a line out the door. When it was my turn, the ill 90 year old fella and his wife showed me what was left. It was picked over somewhat, but I still managed to spent about $1000 ...for 4 rifles and "ALL" his reloading equipment/dies/books/powder/primers/brass...I was the first person to show interest in the reloading stuff.

While that was a large crowd, everyone acted like gentleman. Thinking about it now, as I type this, I think I'd want some armed friends by my side.

Elkins45
03-07-2016, 04:57 PM
IMO go the auction route. You only need two bidders that want the same item and they usually bid it way past what you're going to get at a gun show or a dealer.

I've watched beat up Mauser's sell for over $800 to$1,000 bucks just because two guys wanted the same rifle, and they couldn't stop bidding against each other.

Are these regularly scheduled sales on-premises at auction houses or one time estate sales on-site at the person's house?

jcwit
03-07-2016, 05:10 PM
One time estate sales.

But many times there are more than just one party with goods to be auctioned off.

Twice a year here we have what is called The Amish Fair, it is not a one time or auction house, but it is a huge consignment, and by that I mean they run 3 to 4 rings and it starts shortly after daybreak and runs till dusk. You can buy anything from an old ringer washing machine to a hay bayler, an axe to a rifle, to a quilt.