PDA

View Full Version : Use the proper tools for the job. Don't be cheap

bhp9
05-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Although all of us at one time or another have probably due to expediency or just plain desperation to get the job done quickly have often cut corners and not used the proper tool for the job, often resulting in creating more problems than the original problem gave us. But there are those of us that are just too cheap for our own good. Here are a few examples.

A friend being to cheap to buy a lubricator warming plate to soften up hard rifle lube in his lubricator sizer got a really bright idea that attaching the lubricator to a metal plate and putting his wife’s cloths iron on it would be cheaper than buying a $30 dollar plate. Result was he cooked out the seals in his lubricator. Not learning any lesson from this cockeyed idea he used it again after paying out the kazoo-zoo for new seals. He then scorched his workbench table, which if not caught in time would have resulted in burning down his house. Of course he also burned up his wife’s iron. Pure Genius, eh what? Luckily for his wife after 35 years of marriage she finally had the good sense to get rid of this genius.

This same yoyo used a nail punch instead of the proper Lyman “M” die to bell rifle case for cast bullet loading that resulted in varying neck tensions which produced less than stellar accuracy. Considering how little a Lyman “M” die cost it not only made no sense but his nail punch routine resulted in so much lost time that he could have spent many more hours at the range in stead of slaving away in his deep, dark, damp basement.

So what do you do if you have a really odd ball caliber that no Lyman “M” die is made for (like the .30 Mauser pistol round)? Lee now makes a case expanding tool that does work but does not work as well as the Lyman “M” die but it is much better than using a nail punch if you cannot get a Lyman “M” die for your odd-ball caliber.

Ditto for this guy when I came to buying a collect type bullet puller. His solution was to use a pair of pliers for just about every job. He of course ruined all of the bullets pulled which would have paid many times over for the cost of the collect die. He also used the same pliers (to cheap to buy the proper wrench) for adjusting his loading dies which of course tore off all the knurling on his locking rings.

Of course he was too cheap to buy a spotting scope too which resulted in so much lost time at the range he spent more time running back and forth to the targets than he ever spent actually shooting.

Other pieces of equipment he was too cheap to buy was the proper tools for just about any job. He did not even have a small table vise to hold the parts that needed worked on and fixed.

He once thought I had absolutely lost my mind when I paid $12 bucks for a heavy duty wrench that I used on my loading table. He of course would have used his pliers.

He thought that I had really lost it when he found out that I have on average an extra duplicate set of loading dies for most the calibers I reload for. This might seem excessive but if something goes wrong such as a jammed case in a die or a broken or bent de-capping rod or busted de-capping pin (yes I usually try to have spare pins on hand but often run out of them) and you are pressed for time to get to the range an extra set of dies lets you go right on loading to finish the job. Later you can repair the original set of dies. Dies also wear out eventually and having an extra set is good insurance. I have often picked up extra sets at gun shows for as little as $5 dollars. The stupidity would have been far higher not to buy them as they could have been re-sold the same day for double the price if one decided he no longer needed them some day.

Another Darwin special once got the bright Idea that he would buy a stock blank and inlet it himself. Being to damn cheap to buy the proper inletting tools he got a real brain storm. He figured that all he had to do was heat the bottom of the rifle action with a torch and burn the action right into the stock. He burned everything all right, he cooked the rifle action and warped it and caught the stock blank on fire. Pure genius as he ruined both pieces of equipment in one operation.

And how about bullet molds. You can often find these also at gun shows and at bargain basement prices as most people are just to lazy to go to all the work of casting their own bullets and bullet molds are slow movers at gun shows.

Buying a spare mold in a very commonly used caliber, say ,45acp, is very good insurance as often molds are often discontinued (my favorite made by Lyman was discontinued a number of years ago which was an 185 grain semi-was cutter with single grease groove) and having a spare insures that you will still be able to cast your favorite type of bullet if something would ever happen to your original bullet mold. By the way when molds are discontinued you will double your money if you ever sell your spare mold. Also getting a custom mold made is sometimes very expensive. I regret not getting a .25acp lead bullet mold when Lyman made them years ago as no one I know of makes such a mold, unless you go to a custom shop.

Buy a good set of gun-smithing screw drivers as well as they will prevent you from screwing up the screw heads which always result in a firearm or bullet mold that is worth way less with damaged screw heads.

Buy a rifle cradle that lets frees up both your hands so you can clean or repair your rifle or mount a scope on it without damaging it.

Another Item I have found indispensable is a Pabst recoil shield that is worn in front of the shoulder. It can be bought in varying thicknesses and is made of padded leather that makes shooting rifles a much more pleasant experience than being belted and getting black and blue shoulders. When shooting steel butt plate military rifles this is a must.

Another item is a crimp remover as made by Forester. It’s a chamfering tool that was designed for removing the crimp from military cases (not to be confused with similar tools that remove burs from the cartridge case mouth, the cutting angle is different on those tools). It works much better than the swaging tools that are on the market and the Forster tool also puts a nice bevel on the pocket which guides the primer into the case without pinching and damaging it. And no you cannot take out to much brass when using it as the primer will not fall out, I have deliberately taken out excess brass by plunging it in to deeply to see if the primer would fall out and they never have, this is assuming that the pocket is still tight and not overly expanded which makes the case scrap no matter what type of crimp removal tool you use.

It goes without saying you should have a stuck case remover as sooner or later everyone may eventually stick a case in a die.

In conclusion good tools will last you a lifetime, junk tools only waste your money as they soon break or wear out prematurely and having no tools at all for the job is the height of folly.

I would appreciate hearing from others in regards to tools they have used that now they could not live without.

fishhawk
05-02-2008, 03:24 PM
well Red Green always said any tool can be the right tool! but i found out that the skil saw makes a very poor hammer but it deserved it! probley wouldn't make a good anvil either.

05-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Great post -- what other "I never knew how handy it was until I got one" or "This item paid for itself in a week." items do we have out there?

Sprue
05-02-2008, 06:47 PM
I like to make anything that I can. I'll do that anytime I can. Some people are innovative some not... if there is anyway that I can make it myself, I'll go that route more often than not. All just as good , better than the store bought china crap.

I do concur that there's a right tool -for the right job. But, for some its not a $$$ thing at all.... call it cheap if you wish, but I can't see paying good money for something as simple to make as a stuck case remover for example.

I used to say (40 yrs ago) that my brother could tear up a piece of steel plate. But then, that was his prerogative.

cabezaverde
05-02-2008, 08:54 PM
You sure hang out with a bunch of boneheads.

Bent Ramrod
05-02-2008, 08:57 PM
The guy who used his wife's iron as a lube heater was certainly abusing a device which was obviously not designed for that particular application. Instead, he should have used his wife's hair dryer to warm the pressure cylinder on the lube sizer.

I constantly search for the most appropriate tool for the job at hand. I use a dummy .50 BMG round to bell the mouths of cases I've either forgotten to run through my "M" die, or have decided to load with cast rather than jacketed at the last minute.

:twisted:

Kraschenbirn
05-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Actually, an "iron as a lube heater" works pretty well...if it's set up properly!! I built a mounting plate for my Lyman 450s from scrap 1/2" aluminum tool plate with alignment pins for positioning the iron. Then, using a little empirical experimentation, determined the correct temp setting for the small travel iron that I picked off a yard sale for $2. Rig works just fine with Jake's Purple Ceresin and doesn't seem to have damaged the seals of either of my lubrisizers.

Have also made my own compression dies by threading piecs of correct diameter drill rod into old, worn die bodies.

Bill

454PB
05-02-2008, 10:03 PM
I also make a lot of my own reloading equipment, and don't mind spending several hours to hand make something that costs $15. In fact, it's as much fun as casting and handloading. Some people can break an anvil, and those are the ones that should avoid home made and/or cheap tools.

I've been handloading for 39 years, and I've never had a stuck case, and I don't think I've broken more than 3 decapping pins. Those Berdan primed cases that snuck by me were the cause.

Sprue
05-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Actually, an "iron as a lube heater" works pretty well...if it's set up properly!! I built a mounting plate for my Lyman 450s from scrap 1/2" aluminum tool plate with alignment pins for positioning the iron. Then, using a little empirical experimentation, determined the correct temp setting for the small travel iron that I picked off a yard sale for $2. Rig works just fine with Jake's Purple Ceresin and doesn't seem to have damaged the seals of either of my lubrisizers.

Have also made my own compression dies by threading piecs of correct diameter drill rod into old, worn die bodies.

Bill

+1 on the iron

I was looking in that direction a couple months ago after I had latched onto 3 Luber/Sizers. I purchased a tube of Lyman Orange lube to try out but I didn't have a heater. I was trying to locate a piece of aluminum plate to go with a cloths iron .....

Since I had no luck finding the aluminum plate, I figured that I would make up some (soft) home made lube. I found the Felix lube recipe and the rest is history.

Razor
05-02-2008, 10:37 PM
My cordless drill....mainly because of its portability.. especially "LEE-menting" a Lee Mould..

Although a tool intended for one purpose can be adapted to another with wonderful & satisfying results ..To wit: a 12ga. pump applied to a rickety step ladder that dumped my butt one too many times into the ferns...FIXED that sucker good !..never dun it to me agin'...:twisted::Fire::Fire::Fire: (Yup, put 3 rds into it !)

Razor
:castmine:

wfsdno
05-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Interesting thread. I fall somewhere in between it all.
I have made my own tools, the tool to fit an Enfield bolt, could have ordered one, spent $20, waited a week or so... so I looked, cut some steel rod, drilled it out..etc....and had it done in couple of hours. Had the satisfaction of making a tool that worked.
I also have bought tools for one particular use, and was well worth the money. I have also (in my younger days when I couldn't afford the right tools) tried something that didn't work and cost me more.
Personally, it has come down to money, time and pride, not sure which order....

Roger

mooman76
05-02-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm with wfsdno
I fall somewhere in the middle too. I can't see paying big dollars on a tool you may only use once. I also can't see spending 3x as much just to get a lifetime garantee on something when I can get a good tool that may ware out and may not but if it does and you buy a second, you're still ahead some. That isn't saying I like good tools but there has to be somwhere in the middle. You also have to have some common sence. Using an iron to cook a luber when it only takes a little to warm the lube is not smart.
I buy mostly Lee products because I am frugal. Never had allot of money growing up. Had to make out the best I could with what I had. The only real things I've broken of Lee were the decapping pins which break on all the brands and I did break a part on the press that was $6 to replace. Pliers are not the right tool for the job allot of the time but are good when properly used. I have been casting for about $40 years. I cast from an old cast iron pot, I don't have a thermometer or a lead hardness tester but I still manage to get the job done and I don't have to worry about walking away for a minute and comming back and seeing my bench covered with lead either!

Bret4207
05-03-2008, 08:44 AM
I can make use of the wrong tool or a cheap tool, but I'm careful. The whole trick to making do is to engage the brain FIRST, then proceed. I've learned that grabbing the next size bigger hammer isn't always the best option. Some of us don't have the $$ or the option of hitting gun shows, etc to pick up stuff cheap. I'm in a pretty much non-reloading area and a rather poor one at that. Gun shows come once a year and consist of lines of 7 and 300 Mags and not much else.

BTW- I think I know some of your friends.

alamogunr
05-03-2008, 09:12 AM
You sure hang out with a bunch of boneheads.

+1

Adapting tools is a time honored activity. I don't always have time to go get (buy) the correct tool for the job at hand, but I make sure that it will work. Many of the specialized tools that are available are no better than intelligent use of an alternate.

blackthorn
05-03-2008, 10:57 AM
In general I agree with Bret4207. Some folks "make do" because they are cheap (me), don't see the need to buy an expensive tool if it will only see occasional use (me), have financial commitments that must be met (used to be me), find deep satisfaction in making a tool that will do the job AND save $. Sometimes, with a little careful work, an old or obsolete tool can be converted to your specific needs, or you will find that a "specialized" tool is actually sold in almost any tool store under a different name for a different purpose. Whatever floats your boat! Necessity is the father of adaption.

badgeredd
05-03-2008, 11:49 AM
My cordless drill....mainly because of its portability.. especially "LEE-menting" a Lee Mould..

Although a tool intended for one purpose can be adapted to another with wonderful & satisfying results ..To wit: a 12ga. pump applied to a rickety step ladder that dumped my butt one too many times into the ferns...FIXED that sucker good !..never dun it to me agin'...:twisted::Fire::Fire::Fire: (Yup, put 3 rds into it !)

Razor

Hee-Hee_Hee! Been there!
Seriously, the engage Brain FIRST says it all! A tool maker by profession, and having "adapted" many objects/tools for use on jobs other than what they were intended for has been useful throughout my career. BUT there nothing better than having the correct tool for the job if it is available. I make a lot of my own, and I buy several too. I made a wrench to tighten/loosen dies into my press. Made a spanner wrench for the same purpose after adding a hole in the rings to grab onto. Made a simple stuck case remover, which is a basic common sense tool. Basically, one has to use the brain while reloading ammo (or for that matter anytime), for safety as well as a pleasurable experience. This is a great thread just because we see how we think in general. Kinda says something about each of us because we took the time to get into casting and joining the forum.

mcassill6933
05-03-2008, 12:51 PM
So what do you do if you have a really odd ball caliber that no Lyman “M” die is made for (like the .30 Mauser pistol round)?

Your friend sounds like one of my ne'r-do-well uncles. "Blithering idiot" is the best way to sum up such people. Now a Lyman "M" die isn't that hard to make if one owns a lathe. For that matter, it is an even easier thing to make a Dillon powder funnel that incorporates the "M" features. :mrgreen:

Mark

MT Gianni
05-03-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm somewhere in the middle also. The right tools are great to have and can make a job easier. I still shoot some cartridges I don't have a "M" punch for, a stight twist with the multi-tool and a proper crimp and things are fine. I was nicknamed "pump" for years because I used "waterpump pliers" where others would use an 18" pipe wrench. I did tell one apprentice that he had better put something else to use as I started milking goats when I was 6 and his forearms had a ways to go to catch up.
Gianni, who hopes some day to have a lathe to supliment his drill press.

Boomer Mikey
05-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Lyman "M" dies are a bargan... You can't buy the material to make one for what they cost; same with H&I Sizer dies, and die sets.

Making a custom size expander button for the "M" die body or custom size sizer dies, nose punches, trimmer pilots, neck turning mandrel, hollow pointing a mold, or making a GC base mold cavity into a PB one is another story.

If you know what you're doing there's no harm in adapting something to make do but I don't make stuff to be cheap; I make stuff because I enjoy doing so or it's cheaper to make one than the shipping cost to order one and I don't want to wait a week or two to get it or it isn't made.

Boomer :Fire:

DLCTEX
05-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I think it depends on the individual. Some are born with an aptitude for mechanical things, and some aren't. Speaking from experience of having 5 brothers and 5 sons, you either have it or you don't. 4 of my brothers and I are very mechanically inclined and can find ways to make tools work in situations where they were never intended, same with 3 of the sons. It has nothing to do with intelligence, all score high on IQ tests, it is just an inborn gift. The ones that are not mechanically inclined excell in other areas. The problem arises when the person doesn't recognize his limitations, and goes beyond them. In my business I encounter women who will not let their husbands touch(fill in the blank). Sometimes they call their husbands stupid, but when questioned, will admit that said husband excells in some other area. I think stubborn pride and ignorance of differing gifts makes a person attempt things they shouldn't. This is not to say a person cannot learn to do a task they are not gifted for, but it does not come easily, and may never reach the level of accomplishment of a gifted person. My father would never let his sons, or daughters say "I can't do___", but had no problem with "I don't want to put that much effort into it". His philosophy has served us well. Just my dos centavos. DALE

waksupi
05-04-2008, 01:07 AM
I agree with using the proper tool. Many years ago, man happily pounded his nails with a rock, and got very good results,with evenly mashed fingers. Then, someone decided they could do it better, and made an implement made of steel, mounted on a handle for mechanical advantage. After that, thumbs were still struck, with the added imput of the leverage device (think handle), causing untold pain and suffering among the formerly rock wielding carpenters. Many other dangerous examples could be sited of improper tool usage.

Doughty
05-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Oh come on now, tell the truth, how many of ya have'nt used the butt of your pistol to tack up a "Wanted" poster at one time or another.

DLCTEX
05-04-2008, 02:34 PM
A local guy used the butt of his pistol to tap a 22 round into the dirty cylinder he had removed from the gun. Shot himself in the leg. He never was very bright, but he learned something. DALE

Bret4207
05-05-2008, 06:48 AM
........discontinued you will double your money if you ever sell your spare mold. Also getting a custom mold made is sometimes very expensive. I regret not getting a .25acp lead bullet mold when Lyman made them years ago as no one I know of makes such a mold, unless you go to a custom shop......

Lyman still makes the 25ACP mould. Common as dirt on the auction sites too.

mugsie
05-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Ahh come on now - the right tools? Ya only need 4 tools in life. Yup - just four.
You need a hammer. Everyone needs a hammer
Ya need a bigger hammer - anything that can't be finxed with the hammer - get the bigger happer.
Ya need a screwdriver and of course, you need a bigger screwdriver.

Four tools guys - they can fix, repair, and remove anything!

454PB
05-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Four?

I thought it was two.....duct tape and WD-40.