PDA

View Full Version : Introduction, .45 Colt and frogs.

gilgsn
03-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Hello,

I hope this is the right place for an introduction. I just moved back to France from Florida where I lived for 22 years. Why would anyone do that you might ask, well, long story involving a sailboat in the Bahamas... But I am not planning on staying here in the north of France for too long, too cold, and gun laws really suck. I do want to keep shooting though, and since doing all the paperwork to buy a handgun takes months, I might start casting again while waiting. I used to cast round balls for CB revolvers and .45 Colt for my now gone Pietta SAA. It looks like I can buy a lever action rifle easily enough though, and will probably opt for the Rossi R92 in, of course, .45 Colt.

I had the good sense of buying the RCBS 45-270-SAA mold before leaving... I should have bought the handles too, oh well... So far I have only used Lee aluminum molds and never had any troubles with them. My next purchase will be a Lee electric lead pot.

Next, I am thinking about either a Ruger Blackhawk or Uberti Cattleman. Very different guns, I know, but I am not concerned about power too much. A 280Gr Keith bullet at 875fps will probably do anything I might ask of it. My concern is more about weight and handling. You guys might have some suggestions here. So, I will essentially end up with a lever action rifle and single action revolver in .45. If I need more oomph, the Rossi will happily do it. I wish I could afford a Freedom Arms 97, then I wouldn't have to wonder what to buy...

Great info here about powder coating. I never tried that, but I see it as a great way to separate my heavy R92 loads from the Uberti lighter loads, if that's the gun I will go for... I think VV N110 is fairly available here in France, or I might try Vectan SP3, should be close to 2400, or am I wrong?

Thank you guys for all the great threads I read here, it will take me some time to catch up!

Gil.

PS: I will not be shooting frogs with a .45 Colt ;-)

Freightman
03-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the board.

DougGuy
03-06-2016, 11:29 AM
I will not be shooting frogs with a .45 Colt ;-)

We have some frogs down on the Mississippi bayou that scream bloody murder if you shoot them with any less of a caliber. Seems they hide up under the house in the daytime and must be listening to the news about animal rights on Fox news and now they are demanding their own cooking show just for frog legs....

rockrat
03-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Here I thought the post was going to be about frog hunting with a 45. I had a round ball load that was just the ticket for bullfrogs.:bigsmyl2:

Went2kck
03-06-2016, 01:07 PM
I was hoping someone was going to explain the use of a "frog" on a bayonet. What is it for, I am just not sure.

flyingmonkey35
03-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Well you may have better luck frog hunting with a 45 colt using snake loads / shot shell. Or .410. You can hit more the. One at a time.

Wayne Smith
03-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Big difference between the Cattleman and the Blackhalk is size and shape - the Cattleman is a P model Colt and has all the handling advantages of it. The Blackhalk is heavier, stronger, and to me, more akward to handle.

gilgsn
03-06-2016, 01:38 PM
LOL, well, reading many other forums would have you believe 45 Colt would surely not be enough for frogs.. I am curious as to what it's not enough for.. Maybe elephants and giant grizzlies, I don't known.. Nothing in Europe for sure..

Doug I think our mosquitoes in Florida would eat your frogs for breakfast ;-)

Thanks for the welcome :-)

Gil

aephilli822
03-07-2016, 01:43 PM
I was hoping someone was going to explain the use of a "frog" on a bayonet. What is it for, I am just not sure.

the boche thought "frogs on a bayonet" was the best way to clear trenches, and acquire more lebensraum

gilgsn
03-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Thanks Wayne, I thought as much. In time I might own both.. Maybe I should start with the Uberti, as not missing is more important than a few hundred more fps...

Gil

smoked turkey
03-07-2016, 10:42 PM
Humm..I also thought this was to be a discussion on what we call froggin'. The way I was taught and the way real men in these parts do it is to shine the light in their eyes, sneak up on em and grab em with your other hand. About the only advice I have for doing it that way is to watch out for snakes.

C. Latch
03-07-2016, 10:52 PM
If it wasn't so expensive here in the US I think VV N110 would be the gold-star first-pick powder for magnum handgun loads. I can tell you for certain that it will do wonderfully for hot .45 Colt loads, but please be certain that you only stuff those into something that can handle them safely.

I got to see Paris for a couple of hours during a layover on my way elsewhere once. Looked like a nice place. Not sure I'd do well with their gun laws, though.

DougGuy
03-08-2016, 01:45 AM
Some of the Ubertis are downright neat! I got into this one from a friend who needed some money and after owning it and shooting it, it's COOL as hell! The Italians can sure melt grips to a grip frame, flawlessly smooth in the hands...

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Guns/DSC03760crop768_zpsxo4wirjx.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Guns/DSC03760crop768_zpsxo4wirjx.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Guns/DSC03751crop768_zpsmcms3evi.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Guns/DSC03751crop768_zpsmcms3evi.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Guns/DSC03733crop768_zpsyheifbcl.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Guns/DSC03733crop768_zpsyheifbcl.jpg.html)

NavyVet1959
03-08-2016, 05:49 AM
I like the Ruger Bisley Blackhawk with the .45ACP and .45LC cylinders.

https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B8A9o0AImjXHfmlSQWdFVFRfSmd6d19mTG1jVXUzRWhrZk1KQ WFvdjJidlFtUERRcXh3M1k/ruger-bisley-blackhawk-320.jpg

I've shot the .45ACP cylinder with some .460 Rowland level loads that used .45ACP brass and 230 gr powder coated bullets an it worked out to around 1000 ft-lbs.

Wayne Smith
03-08-2016, 10:00 PM
And if Dougguy had pulled that hammer back you would see that it has the firing pin attached to the hammer just as the Colts did. Load one, skip one, load four, pull back the hammer and drop it on the empty cylinder. BTW, 37gr FFFG and a 200gr Big Lube boolit gets 850fps out of a 7.5" barrel on the Uberti Cattleman and 1400fps out of a Uberti 1873 20" Short Rifle. Not a shabby load by any measure.

gilgsn
03-09-2016, 06:51 AM
Thanks guys. I think I will get the Uberti, but the Rossi 92 will come first.. I can always get a Blackhawk next year..

In France now you must get a doctor's certificate to even be a member of a shooting club and can't buy a gun without keeping regular attendance. You must maintain a notebook with supervised shooting sessions every four months.. If not you lose your guns (12 max). You also must renew your permit for each gun every five years. Buying powder or primers is no longer permitted without authorization. Black powder guns are not regulated but sales are recorded, and you can't buy BP or caps without being member of a club either. It's a nightmare, and much worse than 22 years ago when I left. That's how they do it, a little bit at a time. You guys watch out! I hope it won't become like England here... Not that I want to stay too long anyway...

I will get a Chrony for load development for the .45 Colt with Vectan and VV powders, so stay tuned ;-)

Gil

Taylor
03-09-2016, 06:57 AM
I thought "frog" was slang for French.If so...then
that changes the whole ballgame.

quilbilly
03-09-2016, 02:10 PM
I like the Ruger Bisley Blackhawk with the .45ACP and .45LC cylinders.

https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B8A9o0AImjXHfmlSQWdFVFRfSmd6d19mTG1jVXUzRWhrZk1KQ WFvdjJidlFtUERRcXh3M1k/ruger-bisley-blackhawk-320.jpg

I've shot the .45ACP cylinder with some .460 Rowland level loads that used .45ACP brass and 230 gr powder coated bullets an it worked out to around 1000 ft-lbs.
I agree. Last year I traded my last semi auto for a Blackhawk 45LC/45ACP twin cylinder and enjoy it thoroughly. Both cylinders shoot extraordinarily well at 50 yards. Don't know which cylinder I like better but there is an almost unlimited supply of 45ACP brass on the ground.

NavyVet1959
03-09-2016, 02:43 PM
I agree. Last year I traded my last semi auto for a Blackhawk 45LC/45ACP twin cylinder and enjoy it thoroughly. Both cylinders shoot extraordinarily well at 50 yards. Don't know which cylinder I like better but there is an almost unlimited supply of 45ACP brass on the ground.

With a top load in the .45LC in the Ruger, you can get perhaps 25% more ft-lbs than if you loaded a .45ACP to .460 Rowland level and put it in the Blackhawk, but that would be with a heavier bullet. In some situations, maybe that 325 gr bullet (https://www.underwoodammo.com/45-colt-long-colt-p-325-grain-lead-long-flat-nose-gas-check) might be useful. For many of us though, we seldom encounter anything that a 230 gr bullet would not be effective against.