PDA

View Full Version : Rugged spectacles case suggestions

Bazoo
03-06-2016, 03:09 AM
I wear spectacles and I am in need of a rugged case for them. I want hard shell, something durable, but not something made for tactical sunglasses as its way to big. I havent been able to find anything that suited me. All i've found has been semi hard, and not resistant to crushing. I'd like something with attachment points, but that may be dreaming. I currently am using a basic hard sided case from walmart. It protects okay, but the rubber bands they use for hinge springs dont hold up long, and the case wont take much abuse before it becomes askew.

Suggestions please.

Bazoo
03-06-2016, 03:15 AM
The only other thing i've though of, is to use a small dry box. Perhaps outfitted with a custom foam insert to fit my frames, and then i'd have a tad of room for a few other essentials. This is not ideal for me though, as what I like to do is put my case in my back pocket when im not wearing the spectacles, so it must not be a very big box.

Shepherd2
03-06-2016, 08:12 AM
I have a case made by Nite-Ize that I been using for a couple years for my shooting glasses. It's not easy to describe. It's not hard or soft. Just sort of pliable and rugged. I throw it in my range bag with all my gear and don't worry about the glasses. It's a large case but not huge like some. I think found it on Amazon.

chutesnreloads
03-06-2016, 09:22 AM
As someone who's worn spectacles since 1966.The BEST way to keep them from getting broke is to wear them.May not work for you folk need them only as reading glasses

MrWolf
03-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Are they bigger than reading glasses? My readers came in a two piece tube case that work perfect. Found them at local hardware store for $4.

Naphtali
03-06-2016, 11:49 AM
I have several differently sized clam shell hard cases. PM me with the precise three dimensions of your spectacles folded. If I have one that fits, I'll send it.

country gent
03-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Finding good cases for glasses is getting harder and harder. I can remeber clam shell type cases that were steel stampinds with an interlocking lip solid hinges and springs. You could almost dirve a car over them with out damaging the contents. Now cheap plastic or soft cases more for carrying rateher than protecting the glasses. Might be a fun project to make a hardwood case with nice brass hinges and a latch felt and foam lining to give protection. Take siome time but finished out would be very nice very useable and diffrent from anything out there.

Duckiller
03-06-2016, 05:09 PM
99 Cent store has reasonable hard cases for $0.9999 . They also include a small piece of silk to clean your glasses. Other discount store probably sell similar cases for about the same price.

Mk42gunner
03-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Finding good cases for glasses is getting harder and harder. I can remeber clam shell type cases that were steel stampinds with an interlocking lip solid hinges and springs. You could almost dirve a car over them with out damaging the contents. Now cheap plastic or soft cases more for carrying rateher than protecting the glasses. Might be a fun project to make a hardwood case with nice brass hinges and a latch felt and foam lining to give protection. Take siome time but finished out would be very nice very useable and diffrent from anything out there.
I have one of these type cases. It works.

Go to a real optometrist's office and see what they have for glass cases. I got mine when I got a real set of reading glasses a few years ago, didn't even have to ask for a real case.

The vinyl covering worked loose and is gone, and the plastic liner isn't in the best shape, but it still protects my glasses.

Robert

Bazoo
03-07-2016, 12:06 AM
I have several differently sized clam shell hard cases. PM me with the precise three dimensions of your spectacles folded. If I have one that fits, I'll send it. I appreciate this offer. I am using something akin to this; https://www.google.com/search?q=clamshell+glasses+case&rlz=1CAHPZY_enUS641US641&espv=2&biw=1093&bih=506&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0zNrv2K3LAhUFbSYKHeg1BiEQ_AUIBygC#imgr c=ao3t7pTaMssgcM%3A Is what you have the same sort?

Bazoo
03-07-2016, 12:16 AM
What I wear is these;http://www.charmant-usa.com/charmant/optical/ti-8143

I know the best place for them is on my face, and I am near sighted, so I wear them most of the time. But I take them off when; Its cold out and I return inside, When i have to be outside in the rain, shortly before bed. But I also have a habit of keeping them in the case at night, and when I get up, just grabbing the case and heading out, so that I have the case with me should I decide to take them off.

I've accidentally sat on them, in the case, several times, which gives the case a workout. The cases like i use are metal clam shell, as shown, and that part, and the hinge lasts okay. Where it fails, is what keeps tension on the lid when its closed. It feels like a rubber band, although i've never taken the case apart to verify this.

I'd really like some type of attachment point for a lanyard or clip, but thats not a deal breaker.

Not to mention, that the dogs have gotten my spectacles once, and destroyed the lenses. Glad I got titanium frames. They didnt take much adjustment to bring them back into order.

03-07-2016, 12:23 AM
Check out places like REI (fruu fruu outdoor fashion places). They have water tight hardshell boxes / cases for protecting cell phone, iPads, etc. One of those could easily be adapted to your purpose. Probably have to add your own padding.

Bazoo
03-07-2016, 01:54 AM
725, ive been considering that. As long as I can fit it in my back pocket, then i'd be able to have some cleaner, and maybe a few other goodies.