PDA

View Full Version : Home made hp data question??

Newcast
03-05-2016, 04:21 PM
I'll use the 230 grain .45acp for this "theory". If I were to take a cast .452 230 tc boolit and drill out the center removing about 30 grains of lead, what data should be used to start working up a load? 200 gr or 230 gr, since the 230 has more bearing surface than the 200??
I'm sure the best answer is to go with a true hp mold or have one converted but this is a what if scenario that peaked my interest. Who knows, I might even try it someday I'm bored.

country gent
03-05-2016, 04:39 PM
I would start with the 230 data and work up to what the firearm likes. Its better to be safe than sorry. Ounce made a hollow point cutter for a guy that left a post in the center similar to federal hydra shocks. This was a simple 2 flute cutter with a tapered hole on center to a radioused nose and slightly tapered outer. Turned it from a2 tool steel heattreated it and had cutter grind relieve it. Made a nice hollow point with post in center of it. bullets were held in 2 blocks that clamped with a bushing hole above to alighn cutter. This was a 45 caliber mould also. A cheap L:ee mould (1 cavity) could be centered up and have grease grooves removed and pilot hole drilled thru to make a fixture for doing this. sprue plate would then become the base stop for positioning bullet.