PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Shoot Some SillyWets...

Uncle R.
05-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Our local club is hosting a silhourtte match this Sunday. I used to shoot them critters a lot back in the 80s - and I got pretty dang good at it. Eventually I got interested in other things and YEARS went by while my sillywet guns slept in the safe.
Last year I got a bug in my bonnet and shot in an IHMSA match again. I didn't do very well but I had a lot of fun. Now I'm gonna try it again on Sunday.
:)
Shooting last year's match, I learned that the world has changed since my (ahem) "glory days."
<
1) It's a lot harder to get into the creedmoor position, and requires much creaking and groaning. Must be a change in the earth's gravitational field, or something...
2) Once I'm IN the creedmoor position, it's harder to see over my belly. I have no explanation for this - Ill leave it to better minds than mine to determine the cause of this phenomenon. (My wife has a theory about this but it's so outlandish and unbelievable that I hesitate to even list it here.)
3) ALL of the targets are a LOT smaller and farther away than they used to be. The match director insists that the rams are still at 200 meters - so I guess some international committee changed the length of a meter.
4) The sights on my Contender that used to be square and sharp and black are now fuzzy and rounded and indistinct. Crazy as it may sound, some malefactor has obviously broken into the safe and vandalized ALL of my iron sights.
5) After many years of shooting mostly 200 gr .45 ACPs, those heavy silhouette loads in the Contender KICK more than they used to. Someone has revised the laws of physics I suppose...
<
There are some things that haven't changed though. The thrill of competition is still there and it's still good to see old friends. Best of all, 357-180-SILs still go CLANK! when they hit a pig, and they still make that soul-satisfying KADONG as the rams majestically topple.
:)
Yeah - I'm looking forward to it.
Uncle R.

DanWalker
05-02-2008, 12:04 PM
GOOD times!
I need to get off my lazy butt and try to find some sillywets to shoot here in WY.
I used to love to shoot IHMSA field pistol with an old Dan Wesson 6" 357 I had. I bet my 5.5" blackhawk would be a ball to shoot.
Do the turkeys still hop all over your front sight every time you put tension on the trigger, or was this a local phenomenon confined to the ranges in NC?

GrizzLeeBear
05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Do the turkeys still hop all over your front sight every time you put tension on the trigger, or was this a local phenomenon confined to the ranges in NC?

Must be a local thing. Ours here in MI just take a small step left or right as the boolit comes at them. LOL

jhalcott
05-02-2008, 02:55 PM
SO! Those suckers WERE moving! I wasted a lot of money buying Silly wet glasses.

Beerd
05-02-2008, 06:04 PM
HA! and here I thought I was the only one with them problems.