PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6 banger wadcutters

pps
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
I was going to order the Lymann 2 cavity 358091, but saw the 6 cavity tumble lube wadcutter. It sounds quite appealing to not have to size, and be able to tumble lube for those practice/plinking rounds.

What is the general consensus on this mould? Have I sinned, or is this a decent design for high production?

Ricochet
05-02-2008, 12:01 PM
I'd go for the Lee 6 hole tumble lube mould if I didn't already have a Lyman 2 hole wadcutter mould I got free. I don't shoot that many .38s.

Down South
05-02-2008, 12:18 PM
I have one of the 6-cavity WC tumble lube moulds from Lee. I've cast a couple hundred bollits with it but havent tried them out yet. Maybe next week I'll try some of them.

jcadwell
05-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I find that I have to size my tumble lube bullets to get reliable functioning, especially in autos. When I don't size my bullets, I'll get two or three rounds out of a hundred that won't chamber. I use the TL series bullets in my semi auto 45, 40, and 380s, and in 45 Colt and 38 revolvers. In revolver use this isn't a big deal, as the round just won't slide into the cylinder. With my semis it is a pain, as the slide will jam up pretty tight...

I went to using the LEE factory crimp dies that post size and crimp the cartridge after the bullet is seated. This approach has worked well for my revolvers. Not as well for my semis.

I do like the tumble lube series, and I can size a box of 500 in well less than 15 minutes. They are then simple to lube.

Good luck.

Ricochet
05-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I've had good success remedying that bulged case problem with the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Dies. Works fine in my Colt Government Model. Just ordered a 4-die Deluxe set containing one and a carbide sizing die for 9mm Luger. Interesting to see how it works with that tapered case.

That's the biggest problem I have with Lee 6-cavity moulds, sometimes the blocks seem to be fully closed but aren't quite for various reasons, and larger-than-spec unintentionally Beagled boolits come out. Obvious if it's bad enough to cause finning, but not always obvious. That can cause real headaches in sizing, as well.

shooting on a shoestring
05-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I have the .358091 in a 4 cavity. Its my favorite boolit in my SP101. I shoot it over 7.5 gr Herco, gets me around 1050, very close POI to my carry rounds. And really, the old waddcutter itself is not a bad choice to carry. I've shot them for years, and I also have .358089, another good one.

I have only one TL, the 158 SWC. I'm still warming up to it. I have been shooting it in .38spl with 3.5 grs Bullseye. Its pretty cool to cast a short time and get lots of boolits, then lube in seconds. It seems to me that the TL/LLA combo is fine up to about 850 fps or so, then I start getting considerable leading. But for most .38s it seems to work OK.

I've been a little suprised how well the TL 158 SWC groups. It shoots as well as 358156 at .38 velocities. I don't think I'll be in the market for the TL wadcutter, I'm covered for wadcutters and have a TL boolit, but I'll bet it works out well for you. If you get to loving wadcutters, you'll probably end up with 358091 sometime and it can also go fast - 3 good grooves for Felix lube - its a good thing.