PDA

View Full Version : Double check everything

mjwcaster
03-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Just a reminder to double check everything before reloading.
And not to reload when tired or in a rush.

Short version- Universal is NOT Unique.

Long version- I have not been reloading myself that long, only a few years, started when the draught hit.
That means that I do not a large powder stash.
A few weeks ago I made a trip to cabelas and bought some powder.
Not a large selection there.

I found 3 cans of Universal so I threw them in the cart.
I even debated on buying it, $33lb, but choices were slim, so I ended up grabbing all 3.

In my spare time I worked up my load data, thinking I had Unique.
My mind told me it was unique, never headed down to the basement to double check, why bother I knew what I had.

Finally had some time last night so I headed to the basement.
Following my checklist I cleaned the bench and press off, set up for 9mm, double checked my load data against my sources (manuals and manufactures web site).
Labeled my powder measure with the load data.
Ran some dummy rounds, shortened my oal to plunk test in the new shield.

It was time, pulled the powder out, double checked can against my load data and what was listed on the powder measure, filled the powder measure, set my powder drop, finally checking by dropping 10 loads to check accuracy.
All 10 loads measured fine, totaling 46.5gr, just what I wanted.

I really wanted to load some last night, but resisted the urge, was a little tired and it was late.
Wife even asked why I was back upstairs, told her I do not reload when tired.

Went down this morning, turned the lights on and was getting ready to recheck my powder throw and start.
First step check the powder can against the load data.

What the hell, this stuff is not unique.

For the last 2 weeks I had it in my mind I had bought unique, I didn't even notice when I read the can last night, my mind saw what it expected.

So this is why I document everything, have checklists for all procedures, do not get in a rush, double check everything, and then take a break and check again before starting especially with a new load.

Even all my checklists will not help with a severe lack of reading comprehension.

I am sure that I just expected the powder to be Unique, I only have a few choices in the house, and I KNEW that was what I bought.

Luckily I followed my own rules and stopped last night.
And with a fresh mind finally saw what was in front of me.

As I tell my students, please learn from my mistakes, that is why I share them.

My midrange load for Unique would have been .3 grains over hogdons max Universal load for this combo.

To add to checklist- pull powder out and verify when working up load data.
Had I set the can on my desk in the office while I was working up load data I would have never made this mistake.

But my rules kept me safe and I learned a valuable lesson and reinforced another (which is follow your own rules/procedures, they are there for a reason).

Stay safe out there.

mdi
03-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Good catch! Normally, starting loads of Universal when Unique data is used isn't dangerous, but no way are they the same powder. My methods are much like yours; load data stuck on powder measure, powder bottle sitting next to powder measure, continually glancing at scale. Been doing it like this for the last 18 years. Works for me...

Go slow, double check everything, and most important, have fun...

mjwcaster
03-03-2016, 01:26 PM
I also need to create/add to my checklists to recheck powder when QC'ing the loaded cartridges.
I box all cartridges up and inspect every one ( quick check as I place them in tray and then check primers on all when tray is full).
Also each box is labeled with load data, which will now be checked against the powder can.

Hick
03-04-2016, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the good post. I try to remember to stick to routine and check and double-check, and I occasionally catch myself too. This is a hobby where reminders are very valuable

Victor N TN
03-04-2016, 08:51 PM
CONGRATULATIONS...! You just had a handloading accident, and caught it before it actually BECAME. Not many people can say that. Good for you.

theleo
03-04-2016, 10:39 PM
Wait till you do the Titewad/Titegroup screw up.

waco
03-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Check, double, and triple check....

alamogunr
03-05-2016, 12:11 AM
I've never made a mistake like that but I can see how I might. I'm going to revisit my procedures and see if I can improve them. Starting with the suggestions made here.

Boolseye
03-05-2016, 12:38 AM
The first powder I ever bought was Universal. Good stuff, definitely a tad hotter than Unique.

s1120
03-05-2016, 08:50 AM
A good lesson learned!! So far I have just been working with bullseye, and hp38 that are real close, and also I mainly load only 2 different rounds. 38, and 45acp, and only using the BE in the 45, and the HP38 in the 38.. So that helps. I do need to do more documentation though.. so thanks for the warning!!! I need to work up some lables for my loads also... not just scraps of paper..

mjwcaster
03-06-2016, 02:57 AM
Just added a new step to the checklist last night, Dillon specific.

Check that the primer tube is seated all the way, and test it with only 10 or so primers.

I knew this, and was normally the procedure when swapping primer sizes, but it was not on my list and I changed over the priming system a few weeks ago, but didn't load anything at the time.

Went to load up some UNIVERSAL test loads last night, going over each step on my updated check list, everything looked good, loaded up a primer tube with a pack (100) primers, set it onto the primer magazine, pulled the cotter pin and heard that sickening sound of primers falling out.

Only about 10 made their escape and I managed to wrangle them back into submission.

Had not seated the primer magazine tube all the way in place.

One more step added to the reloading check list.

And need to make a specific changeover checklist with this on it and a reminder to either make sure the primer tube is empty or remember to pull the whole assembly out and dump the extra primers out the top.
Learned real quick that pulling the primer magazine lets all the primers fall out the bottom, only managed that trick once.

clum553946
03-06-2016, 04:32 AM
Life's an ongoing lesson & it's a testament to your methodology that you caught it. Probably wouldn't have been catastrophic, but it's great that you found it before you loaded a bunch of rounds & it's something you never will forget in the future! Good going!

Walla2
03-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Great list of checks and double checks. Glad you followed your own advise. It made me review my checklist also. Thanks.

tommag
03-07-2016, 01:45 AM
I put a strip of blue masking tape on all my powder containers with the powder name on it. When I put powder in a measure, I put that tape on the hopper and put it back on the container when I empty the hopper.

Boolseye
03-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Another tip I learned early on-always have only one kind of powder on your bench.

TXGunNut
03-07-2016, 11:52 PM
Universal is a good substitute for Unique but it's not the same powder. Many powders have a very similar powder but in every case we have to start over on load development when changing powders, even when they're "the same" powder. At one time it was prudent advice to reduce loads when changing powder or primer lots. Some folks still do.
Stay vigilant, my friend. Hopefully 30 yrs from now you'll have as many fingers and eyeballs as you do today!

mjwcaster
03-10-2016, 01:16 AM
Yes, my goal it to be able to count to 10 on my fingers and see it with both eyes.
Kind of like I tell my students, my goal in class is that everyone leaves with the same number of holes they arrived with.