PDA

View Full Version : more issues, lee pro 4-20 and .401 mold

Strtspdlx
02-29-2016, 11:00 PM
well I decided to start a new thread in hopes it would generate more views so I could get more input. The one problem is still there with the .401 mold I use for 40 s&w it is a lee 6 cavity and I've been having a lot better luck with it. I got the bullets to the correct size and they're dropping consistently size wise, I found a "sweet spot" for heat, the big issue I'm having right now is even if I clean the mold before and after use for some reason it tends to generate a brown coating if you'd call it that in the cavities, I did use wax one time to lube it as that's the only thing I had, ever since then I've been having this issue. It is mainly in the lube grooves (tumble lube mold) and despite all my efforts I cannot seem to get it to go away, here's a list of what I tried, cleaning with hot soapy water and tooth brush q-tips and pencil and eraser, I've tried brake clean, laquer thinner, all with mold hot, mold warm, mold cold. I've also ventured into using gun cleaner, which amazingly worked extremely well and cleaned off 98% of the brown stuff, I'm left with very little of it but its annoying enough I can see it in the lube grooves of two cavities when the bullets cool and the bullets seem to be sticking because of it. or at least I hope they are.
My second problem is with my lee pro 4-20 pot. for some reason I can get it to pour fine for 6 cavities, then the next six it pours and dumps lead, or barely dribbles it in, like everyone has said I found that the temperature isn't very consistent and it drips. my fix for that is jiggle the metering screw a bit and it stops. I did lap in the screw, I cleaned out the orifice as it was packed with a yellow crusty substance and that helped for a bit, but its back to it again after probably 8-12 lbs. Is this just how they are? or is there something I am doing wrong? it mainly just pours however it wants whenever it wants, I can tell the difference in pours between half pot and full pot and honestly for some reason when the pot is half full itll pour the best for me. not because it is slower but because it is more consistent.
If anyone could once again lend some advice id be grateful, also I have bought a hot plate but with the pot plugged in and the hot plate on it pops the breaker more often then not, and there is no wiring in my future at my current residence. thanks again

44man
03-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Nothing to worry about with the discoloration of the mold. I would say it was from the wax. It will vaporize and you must have some vapor that got in and it carbonized. Might aid boolit drop!
Now I know bottom pour is best for the 6 cavity and is why I don't use them, just 2 cavity because I ladle pour.
You have crud in your pot, Might try better fluxing and use a stick to scrape the bottom to try and raise the stuff to skim.
Your spout is too far open for a full pot.
See what kind of wire you have in your outlet. I use only no. 10 when I wire anything so if your wire can support a larger breaker, just change that. Many houses use only 15 amp but You should have no trouble with a larger one even with no. 12 wire.
Make sure it is not a ground fault. Jiggling points on a thermostat can pop the things.

Strtspdlx
03-02-2016, 11:20 AM
I suppose I'm going to remelt all my ingots and flux a lot more. I had thought I got everything nice and clean. My pot tells a different story though. I had hoped it would be temp related or maybe because it was a new pot just the metal breaking in or something. I need to find myself a propane turkey frier burner. My grill eats propane and has a hard time hearing the lead quickly. Which is very aggravating.

44man
03-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Never smelt ingots in your casting pot. I have a large cast iron pot and a plumbers stove. The old fashioned kind, found it walking a RR track many years ago. I cleaned it up and painted it. Uses propane and is much smaller then a turkey fryer stove. I do not remember where I got most, like the big cast iron pot or the big ladle to make ingots. Priceless stuff. All stuff plumbers used when they packed oakum into joints and poured lead in.
I am older then dirt so who knows!
Keep your smelt at 600° and skim off junk first, then flux good. DO NOT OVERHEAT. Make clean ingots so what you add to the casting pot is the best you can do.
It is hard to believe what will sink under lead and pots do not have elements at the bottom so the spout has less heat. Plain dirty fact is you have junk in your ingots.

mdi
03-02-2016, 12:32 PM
FWIW; for really good cleaning I've had to, on occasion, lap the mold with Comet and oil. Cast a bullet and run a self tapping screw into the bottom of the bullet. Make a paste of Comet and light oil and smear it on the bullet. I use hex head screws so I put the bullet into the mold and use a drill or power screwdriver with a 1/4" hex socket and spin the bullet/lapping compound in the mold. Doesn't remove any metal and it doesn't take long to get a clean mold.

leadman
03-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Sounds like your pot might need a cleaning. The crud builds up inside and will break loose and mess up the nozzle. Empty it and if there is a build up on the inside and spray it with a strong liquid cleaner. This helps loosen the crud and also keeps the toxic dust down. I sharpened an old screwdriver blade to scrape with. The nozzle will have crud in it also but be careful to not damage the seating area.
I have used a small wire brush on a cordless drill at slow speed to help clean, just make sure to keep the crud wet so dust does not fly. I wear a respirator also just in case.