PDA

View Full Version : Lead question for you guys?

ArcticAL907
02-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Seems like this is the best place to ask lead melting questions...many experts here!

Ok, so I'm not pouring bullets, I am pouring fishing sinkers, jig heads, spoons, etc. Most of the stuff I pour is big: 1 pound jig heads, 3,4, and 5 pound fishing sinkers.

When I pour pure lead, it hardens to a mirror like finish, its soft, and it's perfect.

I just bought 400 pounds of lead that seems to be hardened. When I pour this stuff, it is not perfect. It is brittle when still warm and pieces often break off when opening the mold. It cools to a light gray non-mirrored finish. Cracks often form as it cools. I will also get deep depressions in the flat surfaces as it cools.

I imagine this stuff is mixed with tin or antimony. Is there anyway to soften this stuff up or make it more workable for my needs?

Thanks for the wisdom,

Arctic AL

RogerDat
02-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Go to a scrap yard and get it gunned with an XRF gun. That will tell you what alloy you really have. IF (note: IF) the alloy turns out to be some form of printers lead that is rich in antimony and/or tin then you can probably sell it and use the funds to purchase lead suitable to your needs. Good printers alloy is worth more than plain lead or WW lead.

On the other hand you have a bunch of zinc or zinc alloy you might be able to cast it better at much higher temperatures but no one will want it for cast bullets. Printers lead generally cast really well, the tin makes it flow but yes it can be more brittle.