PDA

View Full Version : North to Alaska by boat

bearcove
02-27-2016, 11:23 PM
I'm working on it...

starmac
02-27-2016, 11:56 PM
That would be a fantasy trip in my eyes. Hope you get her done.

bearcove
02-28-2016, 12:10 AM
look at the little picture to the left.
Rod

bearcove
02-28-2016, 12:29 AM
Fiting up pilot house pics next

bearcove
02-28-2016, 02:34 PM
That would be a fantasy trip in my eyes. Hope you get her done.

Like most big projects that is the trick.

OS OK
02-28-2016, 02:45 PM
"Did you 're-inforce' your bow with anything to deal with broken ice in the spring?
What's the hull made of?
Powerplant(s)?
Did you design her for any one thing?
Her Name?
Sorry, so many questions but…I love boats."
OS OK

popper
02-28-2016, 06:54 PM
Down the Colorado first/ - that would be a good (unusual) trip in an oceangoing vessel.:bigsmyl2:

shooter93
02-28-2016, 07:54 PM
I don't see any pics?

wlc
02-28-2016, 11:41 PM
Pic under his name.

Bruntson
02-28-2016, 11:47 PM
The wife and I are working on a similar goal. But were going with 2500 friends...

starmac
02-29-2016, 01:44 AM
The wife and I are working on a similar goal. But were going with 2500 friends...

I have thought about this, and that would be the only cruise I would ever be interested in. The problem I have is I doubt they would let me drive and stop and explore, fish and just whatever when I wanted to. lol

NavyVet1959
02-29-2016, 03:46 AM
I have thought about this, and that would be the only cruise I would ever be interested in. The problem I have is I doubt they would let me drive and stop and explore, fish and just whatever when I wanted to. lol

That's what the Alaskan Marine Highway System is for, isn't it?

bearcove
03-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Pilot house windows getting fitted

Click on pic and it gets bigger, other pic went POOF!

bearcove
03-10-2016, 08:46 PM
"Did you 're-inforce' your bow with anything to deal with broken ice in the spring?
What's the hull made of?
Powerplant(s)?
Did you design her for any one thing?
Her Name?
Sorry, so many questions but…I love boats."
OS OK

The bow is 4 2x12s laminated with lap joints to the keel. The keel is 5 2x8s stacked with a keel box under filled with concrete. the concrete will cover most of the keel. The hull is Laminated wood epoxy construction, Yes some is plywood. Topsides are 1 1/8" Bottom Will be about 1 3/4" Not made for ice but stout.

Power is a Kubota diesel, Emergency drive might be a Honda running a Hydraulic motor belted to shaft, (Post hole digger). Also a 9.9 kicker for trolling

Designed to go anywhere I want to fish or dive or visit. ANYWHERE! with 4 1/2 feet of water. Keel box is 20 inches wide so I can sit the bottom in spots that allow. And it is all my design, unique in this world of show boats. 43 ft long, 8 ft 4in beam, 4 1/2 draft, 10 Tons loaded, Trailerable!

Name? Yeah haven't decided, but Kris D' Sea is one, Wife is Kris D and my last boat was the Eldersea. Elder was the family name of its original owner of it.

I love boats too! In fact my wife gets jealous sometimes.

Edward
03-10-2016, 09:11 PM
Boat looks as good as the plan,most can only dream !

bearcove
03-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Thanks Edward, I'm a Dreamer for sure, Day and night.

Rod

OS OK
03-10-2016, 09:56 PM
That really sounds great…don'tcha love building your own stuff! The great times I've had on a boat from being a little squirt through being an ole' Fart.

bearcove
03-10-2016, 10:19 PM
Oh YEAH! The first fish I catch, the first beach I swim to, is so much bigger and better from something I made in my mind and built with my hands!

bearcove
03-10-2016, 10:34 PM
The best thing about boats is, you can do what ever you want. 1 hull 2,3 whatever, 7. 1 Deck 2, 10. As long as it is under 79 feet long and you don't want "PAYING" passengers you are a free man.

Some do strange but neat stuff. Making rafts out of trash or the like.

I build myself a very seaworthy boat. Have the Coast Guard take its measure issue a certificate and its my island. I am its master. And Free.

bearcove
03-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Try to do that with a car or house

Frank46
03-11-2016, 12:01 AM
Think the best boat is one you build as you know what is in it and how it was made. And all the more joy to be had. Frank

quilbilly
03-11-2016, 01:42 AM
That's what the Alaskan Marine Highway System is for, isn't it? My thoughts exactly. Just bring a bicycle (motorcycle) backpack with tent, bag, and fishing tackle. Sleep on deck then explore the ports and catch the next ferry from the AMHS.

NavyVet1959
03-11-2016, 01:48 AM
My thoughts exactly. Just bring a bicycle (motorcycle) backpack with tent, bag, and fishing tackle. Sleep on deck then explore the ports and catch the next ferry from the AMHS.

A buddy of mine was thinking of taking an Alaska cruise from Vancouver Anchorage with his wife. I had already taken such a cruise and I had taken a LOT of photos along the way. Photos of the coastline and scenery, not of people. I gave him a DVD filled with all of the photos. Later on, he thanked me and said that I had saved him a lot of money since he then didn't need to go on the trip.

MaryB
03-11-2016, 10:39 PM
Pictures are no substitute for meeting people, tasting new foods, seeing the scenery AND smelling it! I can always tell when I get into the MN lake region, you can smell the lake water on the air.

NavyVet1959
03-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Pictures are no substitute for meeting people, tasting new foods, seeing the scenery AND smelling it! I can always tell when I get into the MN lake region, you can smell the lake water on the air.

Well, to be honest, I was using a pretty good DSLR and a good assortment of classic 35mm lenses. :)

Which would you rather do? Visit that cesspool that is Detroit or just see photos of it? :)

bearcove
03-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Going up in a small boat has very little in common with the ferry or a cruise ship. Both float and that's about all they have in common.

And I've yet to see a picture I could eat.

MaryB
03-13-2016, 03:02 AM
Choice C: drop a nuke on it?

Well, to be honest, I was using a pretty good DSLR and a good assortment of classic 35mm lenses. :)

Which would you rather do? Visit that cesspool that is Detroit or just see photos of it? :)

NavyVet1959
03-13-2016, 07:49 AM
Going up in a small boat has very little in common with the ferry or a cruise ship. Both float and that's about all they have in common.

And I've yet to see a picture I could eat.

That can go both ways -- I've yet to see a photo that would give me food poisoning. :)

NavyVet1959
03-13-2016, 07:50 AM
Choice C: drop a nuke on it?

Too much fallout.... I'm thinking a small planet killer type meteor would be more acceptable. :)

bearcove
03-13-2016, 07:55 PM
I guess if you're not smart enough to cook fresh fish it would be better if you stayed home.

Wolfer
03-13-2016, 08:23 PM
I used to do a considerable bit of 35mm photography and considered myself pretty good at it. Took lots of pictures while Elk hunting in Colorado over the years. The pics looked great but when I looked at them it wasn't like being there. Film can't capture the smells and the bite in the air or the overall grandeur of the place.

The little woman wants to take the Alaska cruise. I'm afraid I would be miserable. I would constantly be wanting to get off and explore.

Finster101
03-13-2016, 08:39 PM
Nice looking boat. Around here 4 1/2 feet of water is deep. Most of my friends have boats that will almost run in dirt. Good luck with your dream. I hope it comes true for you.

James

NavyVet1959
03-13-2016, 09:22 PM
I guess if you're not smart enough to cook fresh fish it would be better if you stayed home.

Actually, I was poking fun at the cruise ships and the food poisoning or other germ issues that you hear about periodically.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/26/travel/cruise-ship-illness
http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/gastro-outbreak-aboard-cruise-ship-bound-for-sydney-hits-182-passengers/news-story/28c107a3093f2cad6d2b4ec42fcea1e8
http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/sick-passengers-on-board-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-in-sydney/news-story/7cad5f02687a8119d6fb3251f32b4332
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/03/cruise-ships-rocked-by-stomach-bugs-last-week/#.VuYR1H1SQqI

I've never had a problem with food poisoning, but I suspect that I eat so many hot peppers and spicy foods that no virus could live in my stomach anyway. :)

NavyVet1959
03-13-2016, 09:25 PM
The little woman wants to take the Alaska cruise. I'm afraid I would be miserable. I would constantly be wanting to get off and explore.

That is the problem that I have with all the cruise ships. You have limited time in port and you don't get to experience all that much of what is available where you end up stopping. The AMHS would allow you to get around that somewhat. You just hop off where you want to and then catch the next ferry that comes along later in the week when you get through exploring.

skeettx
03-13-2016, 09:49 PM
OK, OK, gotta ask, are you building the boat in Rio Rancho?
Then you will move/drive/sail/motor it to Alaska??
Mike

bearcove
03-13-2016, 10:30 PM
Yep building in Rio Rancho, Then on my trailer, think I'll go to Lewiston Id, go down the river out at Portland back inside in Queen Charlotte Sound, up a out of the way inside passage not the freeway all the ships run.

starmac
03-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Cruising the inside package would to me be the advanture of a lifetime.
By the time I explored every cove, it would probably take most of a lifetime though. lol

NavyVet1959
03-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Cruising the inside package would to me be the advanture of a lifetime.
By the time I explored every cove, it would probably take most of a lifetime though. lol

Or it might be like my experience last year visiting the Louvre in Paris. Once you see the first hundred or so statues and paintings, they all look alike. :)

dualsport
03-15-2016, 01:54 PM
Motor sailor? Just curious. Also, you can get to Alaska via San Diego to Hawaii then up. I had that dream too. I was thinking oysters. Anyway, I have a lot of parts. Need a really nice teak bowsprit? Maybe some ports? A lot of stuff. Screws, fittings, etc. I demo'd a 25 ft. CheoyLee Frisco Flyer and another wood boat. British Seagull?

bearcove
03-15-2016, 06:53 PM
NavyVet1959 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?35490-NavyVet1959) Tried to be subtle so now I'll be blunt. edited! My thread is not about cruise boats or what ever you want to vomit.

Thanks, Rod

NavyVet1959
03-15-2016, 07:56 PM
Un-needed and uncalled for! EDITED!

Play nice before I crack heads!

bearcove
03-15-2016, 10:17 PM
Tell you what its all yours.

starmac
03-16-2016, 02:26 AM
Or it might be like my experience last year visiting the Louvre in Paris. Once you see the first hundred or so statues and paintings, they all look alike. :)

I guess it all looks the same to some folks, but I have a never ending love for remote places, all over the country I have had a problem of haveing to see where this goat trail leads and have never got my fill of it yet.
As far as cruise ships or any type of canned travel, I have just never had the desire. Heck I rode a bike more miles than most bikers and always either rode alone or with a passenger, never with other bikers.

NavyVet1959
03-16-2016, 03:39 AM
I guess it all looks the same to some folks, but I have a never ending love for remote places, all over the country I have had a problem of haveing to see where this goat trail leads and have never got my fill of it yet.
As far as cruise ships or any type of canned travel, I have just never had the desire. Heck I rode a bike more miles than most bikers and always either rode alone or with a passenger, never with other bikers.

I'm not much for the canned travel, but I get drug along because my wife wants to do it. She has to have the elaborately planned trips where every minute of every day is scheduled. I hate it. I would rather just get to the country, get a car, and see where I end up. She can't stand that sort of uncertainty.

Our trip to Europe started off with my stumbling across a really good repositioning cruise from the Dominican Republic to Barcelona in early April of last year. I didn't make any plans and just decided to wing it. We spent a week in the Dominican Republic, 2 weeks at sea and hitting a couple of different port between Santo Domingo and Barcelona, and then a week driving through Europe (mostly in France). I took some "roads" in the Dominican Republic that could best be described as goat trails. My wife was completely freaking out. There is no way that I should have been on those trails in that little 2WD Korean subcompact that I rented, much less crossing this one stream it, but that is where the goat trails led me. We got to see places that you would never get to see on any sort of normal shore excursion from a cruise ship. And I suspect that my wife never wants to see it again. :)

Here's the location of the submerged river crossing:
(link) (https://www.google.com/maps/@61.580641,-146.7445899,6z/data=!3m1!1e3)

With respect to motorcycles, I always ride alone, but I will admit, if you have a flat, it sure would be nice to have someone on another bike that could go to the next town for a new tire instead of having to limp the bike along the side of the road for untold miles. These days, with cell phones, that's not that much of an issue though. Well, except that the last time my bike broke down (electrical problem) I was in the middle of nowhere and there was no cell phone reception.

starmac
03-16-2016, 10:06 AM
LOL. Before cell phones there was still insurance and THUMBS to use. The last time I had a flat on a bike was on I45 south of Dallas, bike on the side of the interstate, thumb in the air and came back the next day with a pickup, didn't have to use the insurance. lol