PDA

View Full Version : Boolit lube -tumble, pan, or Lubrisizer ?

John Hill
02-27-2016, 06:30 PM
I have been casting 38 spc and 45 ACP using Lee molds TL358-158-SWC and TL452-230-2R. I have been tumble lubing them twice, first before passing through an appropriate Lee Lube and Size die using Lee Liquid Alox. After drying again, I lube them a second time with the same and after dry, load them. Other brands of molds or Lee patterns seem to use boolit designs that seem to call for the lube groves to be filled with a lube either from pan lubing or running through a Lubrisizer.
I don't plan on casting for rifle.
Other than the fact that I already own these molds and have the Lee Lube and Size dies for the two calibers that I shoot, are there big differences in the results that I would get from using pan or purchase a Lubrisizer.
If I did the pan lube, could I size them after lubing by passing them through my Lee Lube and Size die?
John

scottfire1957
02-27-2016, 09:11 PM
Yes, you can.

sigep1764
02-27-2016, 09:31 PM
I bought a Lyman 4500 when i started out. It was fairly quick, but i soon learned it was the bottleneck in my operation. I bought a Star and havent looked back. I still have the Lyman and it still gets occasional use, but the Star is the ticket for quickly lubing and sizing a large amount of boolits (using non tumble lube lubes).

tazman
02-27-2016, 09:34 PM
You can tumble lube any boolit style no matter the lube groove design. The standard lube groove works just as well with tumble lube as the TL style dies. I tumble lube standard groove designs for my 38/357 mag and they shoot great.
I would recommend you look into White label lubes(LsStuff he is a sponsor of this site). He sells his own version of Alox(X-Lox) and a 45-45-10 mixture that is as good or better than the Lee product and is much cheaper since it is packaged in larger containers.

Shiloh
02-28-2016, 06:58 PM
^^^What Taznman said^^^

Shiloh

Beagle333
02-28-2016, 07:29 PM
Buy a couple of quarts of Xlox from Lars (white label) and learn to make this. It'll do it all.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259285-NEW-!-!-T-L-Liquid-Lube

If you ever can raise the money.... buy a Star. Nothing compares.

my .02

michiganmike
03-02-2016, 11:34 PM
My situation is the opposite of yours. I cast only for my 338 Federal and 7mm-08. I do use a couple Lee moulds and like them. I used to cast for my 40 S&W but sold the pistol as my eyesight became to poor for open pistol sights.

I tried pan lubing and it was too messy for me and slower than I was interested in. I now only tumble lube using Ben's Liquid Lube (BLL) for ever bullet I cast, whether it is made for tumble lubing or not. I bought an old Lubrisizer and rebuilt it. It did a great job, but the down range results were no better than BLL. I sold the Lubrisizer to a fellow caster on this site.

I am sticking with tumble lubing with BLL.

I get very good, consistent accuracy with BLL; the process is quick enough to suit me. And I can't argue with the results in terms of shot to shot consistent accuracy.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have been casting 38 spc and 45 ACP using Lee molds TL358-158-SWC and TL452-230-2R. I have been tumble lubing them twice, first before passing through an appropriate Lee Lube and Size die using Lee Liquid Alox. After drying again, I lube them a second time with the same and after dry, load them. Other brands of molds or Lee patterns seem to use boolit designs that seem to call for the lube groves to be filled with a lube either from pan lubing or running through a Lubrisizer.I don't plan on casting for rifle.
Other than the fact that I already own these molds and have the Lee Lube and Size dies for the two calibers that I shoot, are there big differences in the results that I would get from using pan or purchase a Lubrisizer.
If I did the pan lube, could I size them after lubing by passing them through my Lee Lube and Size die?
John

dverna
03-03-2016, 12:53 PM
The issue with BLL is getting the one step wax. It is discontinued and supply is drying up fast. It is a great process, so if you find the wax, buy all you can!! I have 11 cans

Don

PS. If just doing pistol bullets nothing beats a Star. It will size and lube about 1000/hr

John Hill
03-03-2016, 05:22 PM
The issue with BLL is getting the one step wax. It is discontinued and supply is drying up fast. It is a great process, so if you find the wax, buy all you can!! I have 11 cans

Don

PS. If just doing pistol bullets nothing beats a Star. It will size and lube about 1000/hr

I found that two Ace Hardware stores in my area had one can each. I bought one today and am making some Ben's LL right now.
John

robg
03-03-2016, 06:15 PM
I used a lubesizer then I tried tumble lubing ,no difference in results in rifle accuracy so now I just tumble ,I'm lazy I guess

Geezer in NH
03-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Got to love the internet the wax is not discontinued try a search on it.

MT Chambers
03-03-2016, 09:21 PM
I agree with those on the STAR, there is no other way that makes sense to me, lubes, sizes them concentrically, with one pull of the handle, bullet falls into container, hands stay clean. No baking, no dipping, no tumbling, no ovens, roasting pans, etc.

michiganmike
03-05-2016, 09:40 PM

It's never been out of stock in central Michigan. It may be that with the "on time" warehousing that a lot of companies use One Step was temporarily scare in some places.

nemesisenforcer
03-06-2016, 11:36 AM
I tumble lube all my boolits pistol and rifle with a mix of Lee Alox and Minwax floor wax, size and or GC them, then put a final coat on of pure Lee Alox.

Works for me.

Maybe there's better ways to do it, but this is simple and cheap, just like me.

GhostHawk
03-06-2016, 11:57 AM
As of the last time I checked Amazon was out of One Step, on backorder. I ordered a pair anyway.
3 days later imagine my surprise to find 2 cans of Johnson's One Step in my box.

That puts me up to 3.5 cans of One Step total, plus I currently have 3 of the Lee alox 4 oz bottles filled with BLL (and a bit of JPW)

That is enough to last me about a decade I think. Considering that I am turning 64 this year that should be long enough.

So while finding the one step floor wax may be the hard part of BLL. There is no other hard part. Mixing, storing, useing is all dead easy. BLL has proven to be pretty tempurature tolerant. And best of all does not seem to be prone to cold barrel flyers. Which means it is good for more than just target shooting.

So go find a can and test it for yourself.

You won't believe us until you do. Once you do you may find PC has no appeal, pan lubing and cake cutting a dirty messy thing of the past.

Just remember, better to use a third as much as you think you need, repeated 3 times than too much in one go. Just needs a little.

EDK
03-08-2016, 02:39 PM
You'll do well with tumble lubing. There is a thread lately on mounting a press upside down and really picking up the speed with a push through die. It will be as fast as a STAR...and that's flying compared to a LYMAN or RCBS! You can pan lube or tumble lube and use the push through BUT I'd probably stick with the TL for speed and no mess.
I guess I better go get another bottle of ONE STEP just in case. Probably send LARS an order too. Being retired, I shoot and scrounge brass at my gun clubs outdoor range every day.

Yodogsandman
03-08-2016, 05:43 PM
I found that two Ace Hardware stores in my area had one can each. I bought one today and am making some Ben's LL right now.
John

You'll be very happy with BLL used on both rifle and pistol boolits! Go get that other can, fast!

RogerDat
03-08-2016, 06:12 PM
If not Bill Liquid Lube then 45/45/10 which works as well and is almost the same stuff. Just more hassle to make since you have to cook the Johnson's Paste Wax to get it to be liquid wax. BLL your mixing a liquid wax so easier but I don't think any better. Or you can buy 45/45/10 from White Label Lubes already made in big bottles.

If tumble lube is insufficient my first thought will be powder coat not different wax lube. I guess I figure I can always tumble lube over powder coat if I thought I needed it. My second thought would be what am I doing that makes the tumble lube insufficient? Bullet fit or alloy or load because it should work with most applications in pistol and even be decent for a lot of rifle uses.

Yodogsandman
03-08-2016, 06:18 PM

Where? You must have ninja computer search skills!

Golfswithwolves
03-09-2016, 05:40 PM
I just enjoy using my RCBS machine. A pull on the handle and then up again and the bullet looks just like the pictures in books! Other methods and devices probably are great too, but the Lube-A-Matic is fun for me to use.