PDA

View Full Version : 'Nuther Citori Followed Me Home!

TXGunNut
02-27-2016, 01:22 AM
A few weeks ago my new Browning Citori Trap gun laid down on me during a round at the club. It was a bit aggravating but a friend insisted I finish the round with his extra gun. I'd never shot a Browning auto before but I managed to break most of my remaining birds anyway.
Went to my favorite gun store looking for one of those Browning autos. Apparently they're a bit scarce. I did find a Grade Field Citori built in 1985 with Invector chokes and 26" tubes. Very nice shape and fit me quite well, really liked the it handled. Came with a nice Browning hard case and a bag full of choke tubes. Then the manager made me an offer I couldn't refuse so after applying a coupon and some credit card points and I had a very nice backup shotgun for well under half what I stole my trap gun for.
Found out on it's first outing that's it's a more than passable trap gun but I think it will really shine over on the skeet field and maybe even chasing dove & quail.

Mk42gunner
02-27-2016, 04:21 AM
I grew up shooting side by sides, but I do have to admit the Citori's are good guns.

Robert

osteodoc08
02-27-2016, 11:53 AM
What went wrong with your citori? I thought they were near bulletproof

Nice find BTW. Need pictures to confirm your story though:bigsmyl2:

TXGunNut
02-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Some day I'll have a SXS but don't know enough about them to pick out a good one. Any favorites?

TXGunNut
02-27-2016, 12:17 PM
What went wrong with your citori? I thought they were near bulletproof

Nice find BTW. Need pictures to confirm your story though:bigsmyl2:

Finally using a laptop I bought recently, hope it does better with pics from my phone. My trap gun locked up, doc. Action would not open, think it has a little burr somewhere but it finally opened and seems OK now. "New" Citori is super smooth and in very good shape. I removed a little fingerprint rust a few tiny specks of pitting. Still passes for a new shotgun.162124

osteodoc08
02-27-2016, 04:03 PM
Gorgeous. I love the Citoris

TXGunNut
02-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Gorgeous. I love the Citoris

I understand, I recall you have a long history with them. As you may recall the 20 (not pictured) is the pretty one of the bunch.

MrWolf
02-27-2016, 08:40 PM
I bought one for my son and had to also get one for me. Great trap guns.

4719dave
02-27-2016, 09:06 PM
Great guns really miss mine !!!! but I look at my wifes wedding ring :sad:. Just cant get it to fire lol ...

MrWolf
02-28-2016, 09:49 AM
I had been saving my coins each day for probably 20 years. Had two full water cooler jugs filled. Cashed them in and was enough to buy the two Citoris. That is how I justified to the Mrs. :bigsmyl2:

TXGunNut
02-28-2016, 11:45 PM
That certainly beats paying for them all in one chunk, MrWolf. I accumulate quite a few points on my Cabelas card and put them to good use, may have to empty some change jars next time. When I compare my Citoris to shotguns costing 3 times as much I feel pretty good about the price. Another shooter helped me lube all the right places on my trap gun and it felt quite a bit better. Not as silky-smooth as my most recent acquisition but much better.

MrWolf
02-29-2016, 10:17 AM
I was lucky and got to try a bunch of different trap guns where I used to shoot. The Citori fit me perfect and just felt right. Had to have an adjustable butt plate installed for my son as he was still growing and held it funny. He is grown and "normal" now [smilie=l:. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I did.

TXGunNut
02-29-2016, 11:22 PM
Fit is everything in a comp shotgun, it's nice that most shooters will let you handle and even shoot their shotguns.
I actually set out to buy a different shotgun, I'd tried a Citori but it was apparently a used gun with a custom stock. Didn't like it. While I was waiting for my chosen shotgun to show up I picked up a 20 ga Citori Field gun. It fit me better than the "B" gun that I thought I wanted. Months later I tried on a few trap guns as well, wound up with another Citori. I went looking for a Browning auto after shooting one a few weeks ago...wound up with another Citori. At least I tried, lol. I like the way these guns fit me and I'm slowly improving my Trap game, looking forward to trying some skeet again soon.

TXGunNut
03-05-2016, 10:11 PM
Wow, "new" Citori is a shooter! Took it along as an extra gun to go check out the new trap machines at the club today. Beautiful day, would have been a shame to not get out & enjoy it. New trap machines were broken, decided today was as good a day as any to take up skeet shooting. Just happened to have some skeet and IC tubes in the case and even had four boxes of 1oz #8's along. I suck at skeet, probably shot less than 15 rounds in my brief and sorry career, never broke more than 10 birds. This gun almost made me look like I knew what I was doing! Stations 3, 4 and 5 ate my lunch but pretty sure I broke 20 birds in my third round. Even managed to break most of my doubles. The guys were pretty impressed when I broke a few birds 15-20 feet from the house.
I like this gun!

osteodoc08
03-06-2016, 07:51 AM
That's awesome to hear. I too have a soft spot for the Citoris. I'd own more if finances allowed. I've been eyeing a 20 gauge field gun and may have to go "give her another look".

MrWolf
03-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Hehe told ya! Just had a natural fit and follow for me. My son and I had a long stretch of where one of us would take an award at every event we entered until my back got to bad. Wait till you start playing around and get the different chokes. I ended up just buying a full set for each, just in case. Keep the allen wrench that came with it in your range bag. Only happened once but trigger got lose during an event and I lost two birds for failure to fire till I fingered out what was going on.

TXGunNut
03-06-2016, 11:05 PM
Hmmmm....don't remember a wrench but have an extra trigger shoe and sight inserts. Seem to have plenty of chokes for now, will consider extended tubes for the older Invector gun someday but have a pretty complete set with a few duplicates. Scored another 5 cases of shotgun shells on sale today so should be set for a little while. Didn't get around to shooting a shotgun today, too windy for skeet and didn't think trap field would be open so didn't bring trap gun. Good day on the rifle range tho. Club shoot next weekend and all the big boys will be going to a big ATA shoot, guess I better show up and support the match.