PDA

View Full Version : New cap makin video

washbuster
02-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Here's the video of my new cap makin usin primer compound.Brushy helped me make this production so thats why it looks like it does.If anybody has questions just pm or e mail and I'll answer.Thanks for lookin. WASHBUSTER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xYt-VJCu4s

Baja_Traveler
02-25-2016, 12:16 PM
Video unavailable -

I'm curious how you made the priming compound.

Lead Fred
02-25-2016, 01:15 PM
They use caps.....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/842064/forster-tap-o-cap-11-percusion-cap-maker

We used to use an older version of this.

Insert a cap from a kids cap gun, and they finger nail polish over top.

Sure glad I use a flintlock now, with age comes wisdom

dondiego
02-25-2016, 02:46 PM
He said that he was using primer compound.

aspangler
02-25-2016, 02:51 PM
If you have access to a lathe you can make one yourself. The plans are on the net. Just Google it and you can find it. I made one. Several threads on this here.

Dan Cash
02-25-2016, 04:55 PM
What happened to the video? Unavailable.

Omnivore
02-27-2016, 09:26 PM
Five minutes into it and I saw an indistinguishable wood block, an indistinguishable tool thingy, some print material that's unreadable, and I heard that one should use a clean motar and pestle to grind un-named chemicals. I couldn't continue.

45 Dragoon
02-28-2016, 07:10 AM
Well, I found it very informative and apparently it's a rather serious operation but the payoff is caps that go bang every time for very low cost. Obviously , the ingredients used need to be handled in a serious way.Apparently, Lead Fred and aspangler are clairvoyant and don't even need to watch the video.

Someone that offers information/education for free deserves at the very least a thank you instead of comments that basically have nothing to do with the subject in the video. I guess not everybody's mom taught their kids the thing about " if you don't have anything nice to say . . . . ".

Thanks Tony for a serious look at priming components and methods used for preparation of.

Mike

smoked turkey
02-28-2016, 05:57 PM
I thought the video was informative and at the same time left some unanswered questions. I checked this thread again in hopes to find some answers to my obvious questions. They are:
1. did he use a tool such as a "tap-o-cap" to make the cap for the new primer compound?
2. If so did he use aluminum soft drink cans as the material for the new cap?
3. Tell me about the bags of material used to make the mix for the priming compound. Does he market these materials? If not please supply information on who does, with approximate cost.

Pardon the pun but the video was just a "primer" and we need more information if we are to do anything with it.
I do appreciate the effort to educate us on what I might consider a simpler way to make priming compound than we might have thought. At the present time, I don't plan to make my own caps with compound due to some of the hazards involved. I do make some from time to time using roll caps and I like to experiment some with those and a few flakes of black powder to make them go bang. But the concept is interesting none the less and inquiring minds want to know "the rest of the story".

Duckdog
02-28-2016, 09:21 PM
What he is actually using is a Prime All priming kit from 22lrreloading.com. It is essentially the old H48 priming mix. It's $20 for enough primer compound to reload approx. 2000 LR shells. I suspect that is the same amount as what is in a #11 cap. I have a tap o cap and have a bunch punched out and will give it a try in the next few days. I reload 22 LR so I have the kit(s). pretty simple to mix up.

OverMax
02-29-2016, 01:09 AM
I see washbuster made a special little powder measurer. I wonder how he managed to soldered that small pistol primer cup? (All my are primer cups are made of bright Stainless.)

dondiego
02-29-2016, 10:04 AM
I see washbuster made a special little powder measurer. I wonder how he managed to soldered that small pistol primer cup? (All my are primer cups are made of bright Stainless.)

I'll bet that those cups are nickel plated brass. Cut one and check.

OverMax
02-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Well I'll be.~~ they are yellow brass cups. good Tip. Thanks dondiego

dondiego
02-29-2016, 12:00 PM
I've got about 10 pounds of spent primers in my brass scrap bin.

OverMax
02-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Got none here. Easy enough to resolve though. I need a warmer day is all.