PDA

View Full Version : A little range time today

Friends call me Pac
02-23-2016, 04:37 PM
Went shooting this morning. I thought I could get in some practice before the nasty weather rolled in. I started out at 20 yards with my Kimber 45. I normally use a Weaver style stance but I began to think about how I was trained to shoot during my military career. I was trained & used a modified Weaver stance. As my good buddy & firearms instructor MSgt Langlois use to say,"Give 'em as small of a target as you can."

After retiring 11 years ago I have found that the Weaver stance is more comfortable on my back. Today I thought I would get back to my roots and see how it went. I would draw, Pop!, holster & repeat. I sent the pic of the target to my wife so she could send it back to me in an email so I could upload it here. She must be busy because she hasn't sent it yet. That was a partial box of rounds at 20 yards.

When I finished that box off I moved the target back to 25 yards and shot half a box (25 rounds). By that time the wind was very cold & I was ready to get in the Jeep & turn on the heater. Before I left I took this pic of the 25 yard target. It was the same shooting sequence as at 20 yards & I continued to use the modified Weaver.

You will notice that there are 5 hits that are well away from the group. I can explain that. Like everyone else on this site I melt down wheel weights and cast my own slugs. Evidently, I got some wheel weights off of an out of balance tire. Everyone knows that a wheel weight that has been on an out of balance tire continues to hold a residual whoppity, whoppity whoppity effect even after being melted down and pored into a bullet mold.

You might be thinking ok but why did those 5 particular bullets all group together? The answer is simple. Those 5 bullets must have been poured from the same wheel weight.

twc1964
02-23-2016, 05:17 PM
Hmmm, I've never heard that excuse, lol. Guess I'm going to have to start using that one too.

Hogtamer
02-23-2016, 11:01 PM
Pac, i have noticed the same phenomenon but could never put my finger on the cause. Those big truck WW are even worse! [smilie=1:

bayjoe
02-23-2016, 11:12 PM
Now that was funny !!!!

rockrat
02-25-2016, 07:28 PM
I am going to have to use that one too. Good one!!

tdoor4570
02-25-2016, 08:26 PM
What do you mean get in the jeep and turn on the heater. You are in Arkansas and don't even know the meaning of COLD

Plate plinker
02-25-2016, 10:24 PM
Pac, i have noticed the same phenomenon but could never put my finger on the cause. Those big truck WW are even worse! [smilie=1:
Because the big WW are heavier right?

oldcanadice
02-26-2016, 10:59 AM
and they make bigger circles because of the big tires.

Friends call me Pac
02-26-2016, 12:18 PM

It sure does get cold here in Arkansas. This is me about to get back in my Jeep after shooting.

OS OK
02-26-2016, 01:17 PM
:bigsmyl2:..."Heck Pac…I'm 66 this year and shoot groups 1/2 that size…only trouble is…the muzzle flash keeps setting the target on fire and I don't have time to snap a picture!"

HA…OS OK

BUCKEYE BANDIT
02-26-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks Guy's ,haven't had much to chuckle about lately.COME ON SPRING!!!!!
:bigsmyl2:..."Heck Pac…I'm 66 this year and shoot groups 1/2 that size…only trouble is…the muzzle flash keeps setting the target on fire and I don't have time to snap a picture!"

HA…OS OK

robg
02-26-2016, 02:06 PM
I shoot in a tunnel ,its the shock /muzzle blast from the other shooters cause my poor groups.l reckon.